Question about a phenomenon that affects the perceived speed of music

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

24 Jan 2021

I noticed while listening to some music via phone speakers (which sound thin), that at lower volumes, the music seems to speed up. That's probably because as I decrease the volume, I rather hear high frequencies. As such, percussion and alike gets more audible.

Then I listened to some music with in-ears, isolated different frequency bands, and noticed how some appear faster, while others slower.

Now, there even was once a Reason tutorial where the Props (yep, an older tutorial) used an isolated frequency band to sidechain compress the whole music to add a little spice to it.

Anyway, this phenomenon is certainly something I might want to make use of ~ but rather with traditional, pure methods, than compressing or filtering. But then again, I wouldn't wanna mess up the arrangement either, lol.

How would/do you make use of it?

Loque

24 Jan 2021

Not sure i know what you mean. Too me it sounds a bit like binaural beats, maybe.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

24 Jan 2021

Do you mean this?

quickening beat illusion

RobC

26 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Do you mean this?

quickening beat illusion
Something like that, yes.
I wonder if there's any way to extract this illusion without changing an arrangement.
Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2021
Not sure i know what you mean. Too me it sounds a bit like binaural beats, maybe.
I mean that kind of illusion that Billy presented.

• Information