Using Lectric Pandas CV Player Tap

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Loque

21 May 2018

Since there are lot of dicussionsand questions about how to use the new Player devices, especially the MIDI<->CV converters, for some usefull sounds or tooling, i provide here an example of the usage of LEctric Pandas CV Player Tap to play 4 different synths and control several FX depending on the played notes.

1. Creating the basic setup
I add a Scale&Chords to a synth, sampler or whatever within a Combinator. Add the CVPT below the Scales& Chords. Note, that you do not need to connect the synth/sampler to any output, since i just use it to grab CV information. This synth need to receive notes within the Combinator, which is the standard case for instruments in a Combinator, but this becomes important if you add the real instruments later.
first.jpg
first.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

2. Grabbing the CV information Note and Gate

Now if you play the Combinator, the synth receives Gate and Note information which are previously routed through Scales&Chords, than to CVPT and finally they are send to the synth. Flip the rack by pressing tab to see the CV outputs from CVPT. If you want to connect several devices to receive CV Gates and Notes, some spiders can be handy here. There are some stock CV Spiders, but i recommend those here:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -splitter/ (simple, nothing fancy, does its job)
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... -splitter/ (can also delay signals, which can create funny delay-like fx)
second.jpg
second.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
3. Now think of what you want to control
You can control everything, which can receive a CV signal. The easiest case here is something that can handle Note and Gate information, just like a synth. But you can also connect FX like EQs and Filters to control it's frequencey, but keep in mind, that since not all of them support note->frequency mapping, you wont get exact results here.

In my example i control several synths, where each synth plays a different octave, a Scream and a Phaser controlled by a Note. At the end of the chain the Note also controls a EQ frequency.
third.jpg
third.jpg (139.98 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Finally
Finally you now can control 4*4 devices by a press of a key in this example. This is pretty hard or nearly impossible to reproduce in a different way. Please no comments about the sound patch itself, because i just throw a Subtractor, reset and used a standard wave.

Now if you play the Combinator, you can also change the settings of Scales&Chords, like Chords->Notes=1 to press a key, hold it and play more keys. In this case it comes close to Distributor. As an example, hold a high note (which goes to the "lowest Subtractor") and now play lower notes. Just experiment with it...

This can also go the other way around, like if you have any CV you can send it to a CVPT before a Scales&Chords to play scaled notes from any CV source.

Happy experimenting and exploring. Feel free to post your examples here if you like.
Last edited by Loque on 21 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

21 May 2018

Since Reasontalk seems to not let me upload more than 3 files, here is the patch:
MultiSeparatedChordsWithFxDependingOnNotes.zip
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Reason12, Win10

MarkTarlton

21 May 2018

I just wanted to take a quick second and thank you for your contributions, recently I have been playing around with the random combi you made by pulling it apart and rebuilding it. I learned some new tricks and had a blast in the process. please keep sharing and know that lots of other people who don't post will certainly appreciate your stuff too!

Loque

21 May 2018

MarkTarlton wrote:
21 May 2018
I just wanted to take a quick second and thank you for your contributions, recently I have been playing around with the random combi you made by pulling it apart and rebuilding it. I learned some new tricks and had a blast in the process. please keep sharing and know that lots of other people who don't post will certainly appreciate your stuff too!
Thx for the kind works. As a bonus, here is a way to transpose an incoming CV signal by the keyboard, here the Matrix sequencer. Please note, that the Matrix inside the Combinator is connected to the Combinator itself to trigger the Scales&Chords. You need to select the first "dummy" Subtractor and use it to play (transpose) the Matrix through a Janitor. Since you now have the Janitor to offset (transpose) a signal, you can also trimm it to limit the number of notes (octaves) it plays ;-)

Oh, and do not forget to "RUN" the Matrix sequencer to hear something.
transposematrix.jpg
transposematrix.jpg (75.02 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Transposing Matrix.zip
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Reason12, Win10

Loque

21 May 2018

I luv this sh!t...Here is a Random Arp coming from Note-Echos and slow Matrix. I used the Note-info to pan the notes around, because the Subtractor does not have a note->pan control. Ok, it is not the best solution, since it is re-paned on each note, but it works quite nice on short notes. Damn...i can listen to this loop for hours...
Random Notes.zip
(4.4 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Reason12, Win10

Loque

22 May 2018

The first time i saw the SCales&Chords Player my instant question to PH was "What about CV?" and i think you all know the sad truth...And somehow PH forgot to implement some important features like humanizing and strumming :roll:

So, here is an example to have your Scales&Chords strummed or humanized. It is actually in more humanized settings since the delayed Gates are random, but i think you can make it pretty easy to a coordinated strumming. Please note, since Delays cannot go back in time, it is humanized only "past" the played note. Maybe some track shifting RE helps, i dunno, did not have it, but i know that VMG or manual PDC does not work.
Random Strumming.zip
(3.06 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Reason12, Win10

Reasonable man

22 May 2018

3 well put together combinators right there

Tinnitus

02 Jan 2024

Just chanced across this and will check this out. Thanks.

• Information