Online mixing/mastering courses

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
13121A1V

21 Dec 2017

Hey Reason community, my name is Brian and I'm new to the forum here. I've been a user of reason since reason 7, and am just now diving into the art of advanced mixing and mastering. I've watched countless hours of videos on YouTube about the subject, but I'm ready to take the art to the next level by taking classes or paying for instructional videos. Has anyone taken any classes or video instructions online that they highly recommend, or do not recommend? Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

QVprod

21 Dec 2017

I went to college for audio engineering so I've never payed for online classes. However one resources that I've learned quite a bit from and that I recommend to everyone is The Recording Revolution (Graham Cochrane). https://www.recordingrevolution.com/

You may have come across his free videos on youtube (which are excellent) but he does also have some paid courses available. Again I haven't taken any of them, but going by his free stuff, it's probably great.

13121A1V

22 Dec 2017

Thanks for the links. I have seen quite a few of his videos and always liked his philosophy that "less is more".

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2017

13121A1V wrote:
22 Dec 2017
Thanks for the links. I have seen quite a few of his videos and always liked his philosophy that "less is more".

demt

23 Dec 2017

myopic amounts of minimalism will not save earth massive intervention will
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

AttenuationHz

23 Dec 2017

Umek has a tonne of videos I may purchase the rest of the videos at some point. $60 for a Master of Techno talking about his techniques. Here's the teaser which has a bunch of decent info.
Loads more videos on that site but not cheap, first hand info though!

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

13121A1V

25 Dec 2017

Thanks gang, these are really helpful!

13121A1V

27 Dec 2017

Any other ways people have learned to mix/master?

AttenuationHz

27 Dec 2017

13121A1V wrote:
27 Dec 2017
Any other ways people have learned to mix/master?
Trial and error!

Should read the Ozone Manual lots of really great info in that, that is easily translated to cater for RE and VST formats.

http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZo ... hOzone.pdf
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

FrankJaeger

12 Jan 2018

Try groove3.com... They have entire courses on mixing specifics like compression, EQ, delay, panning and more.

It's only $15 bucks a month or $150 for a whole year.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

AttenuationHz

12 Jan 2018

FrankJaeger wrote:
12 Jan 2018
Try groove3.com... They have entire courses on mixing specifics like compression, EQ, delay, panning and more.

It's only $15 bucks a month or $150 for a whole year.
How much detail do they delve into? What is the video's like for instance would they state where to place specific instruments in an orchestra or just say this is the pan knob it goes left or right from the centre.

selig
RE Developer

12 Jan 2018

13121A1V wrote:Any other ways people have learned to mix/master?
By watching someone else mix - not something that’s easy to do depending on where you live, but SO worth it even if you only get to do it a few times in your life.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

12 Jan 2018

I'd second that watching someone else do it! Twitch is good for learning from watching someone else use a DAW. I like to watch the music and creativity channels on there from time to time you can really pick up a lot from observing others. You are looking at what they are doing and thinking why do it that way? While you are watching, if you can follow along and think of how you would do it also, obviously you can't change the way someone else would mix/use a DAW but you pick up a lot from them from possible making mistakes and doing it a much better way than you would.

FrankJaeger

12 Jan 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
12 Jan 2018
How much detail do they delve into? What is the video's like for instance would they state where to place specific instruments in an orchestra or just say this is the pan knob it goes left or right from the centre.
I don't know about the panning series as I haven't watched it yet but the Compression Explained course for example (all courses are available with the all access pass) went into massive detail about the topic. They started off with a brief introduction of the course and then the second video called Audio Signal Anatomy jumped straight into what a waveform display is, what the zero crossing is, what the positive and negative swing of a waveform is, what the ADSR of the waveform is and explained things like what the transients of a sound are. They then went into dynamic range on the next video and a brief history of compressors (what they were originally used for and how that transitioned into today) with the follow-up video.

The next video went into the 4 main types of compressors and how their circuitry work followed by a video on what the threshold, ratio and make-up gain are and how to use them. In a later video they cover the other types of compressors like the multiband.

They proceed this way until all of the knobs, buttons and doodads are covered in detail and promptly move on to USING compression in your mixes. They follow that with using compression during mastering to rap up the series. I can only assume that the panning course is just as detailed.

All of their videos are short, sweet and straight to the point with minimal fluff and usually last anywhere from 1 minute to 15-20 minutes depending on the sub topic they are covering.

They don't just have mixing and mastering courses either. They have full [Insert DAW here] explained courses for someone who is a beginner to learn their DAW from the ground up. They have specific plugin courses like the Waves Gold Bundle, DJ'ing with Traktor courses, A very detailed Music Theory course (with ear training included) and tons of others. I would seriously give the All Access Pass a shot for just $15 for 30 days and see how much you can learn within that timeframe. If you like what you find out then great, if not their cancelling process is very simple and you retain your access for the remaining days until that billing cycle is over.

DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way affiliated with groove3.com other than being a happy customer who's seizing the opportunity to help someone else make better music.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

PhillipOrdonez

16 Jan 2018

Groove 3 seems interesting, and I have also been eyeing ASKAudio, anyone has any experience with their courses? The level of detail and quality?

Aosta

16 Jan 2018

Welcome Brian,
There are some good mixing tutorial series with the SSL. This guy has done a whole bunch of them and there are these two parts that are interesting too.
Mixing and mastering is whole other level of huh? So many different external influences to screw up a final track.
Anyway enjoy the forum and ask away.
Tend the flame

• Information