How to get a compressed drum beat sound?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
HepCat

12 Nov 2016

Hi, does anybody know how to get the compressed drum beat sound that accompanies the main drum loop here (it starts at 1:13 but the video should autoseek that cue point - you'll hear the accompanying beat kick in at around 1:15):

And is the sole drum loop here (starts at 1:55 but the video should autoseek that cue point):

I'm wondering if it's just a preset loop on one of the old Roland drum machines (even if it is, there's got to be a way to recreate it, right?), or if it can come from compressing a drum loop? I like this type of drum loop because it sounds punchy, and has low mid-range, it doesn't hurt the ears.

MGB

05 Dec 2016

Hey dude. These are chopped breaks. The kicks have been fattened with drums from a drum machine but that tone and texture comes from the fact that they are processed funk breaks. Pretty sure you can find them on the Jungle Warfare sample CD as they are, or you can go digging and find the originals to process yourself. As far as the processing goes, like you said - compression. But also you'll want to crush them a bit to make them slightly more gritty, play with the decay settings on the hits (eg in Rex) to tighten them up a bit, and once you've got your pattern worked out, swing the hits with the regroove mixer (i like the MPC setting)... there's a huge amount of stuff around on how best to process breaks, so check it out. Happy chopping!

GRIFTY

08 Dec 2016

grab decimort2 and put some sampler-style grit on your drums. it is 1000000000% worth the money

HepCat

08 Feb 2017

MGB wrote:...
GRIFTY wrote:...
Anybody actually successfully replicated this "compressed" breakbeat sound starting with a breakbeat sample?

Creativemind

08 Feb 2017

GRIFTY wrote:grab decimort2 and put some sampler-style grit on your drums. it is 1000000000% worth the money
What will decimort2 give the drum samples?

Hepcat...just been on Who Sampled and the drum break from Liquid is Liquid is from this track:-

But there's obviously another drum loop from probably a drum machine layered over the top. I would like to know where the 2nd layer comes from actually.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

HepCat

08 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote: Hepcat...just been on Who Sampled and the drum break from Liquid is Liquid is from this track:-
Ohhhhh so it wasn't FX after all, it was just a different sound to begin with ... I think l get it. The "brushy" type sounds were used instead of hi-hat and cymbals. Perhaps bdrum (from drum machine) was pitched down too. Perhaps snare (from drum machine) was pitched down too.

Creativemind

08 Feb 2017

Which drum machine though, that is the 6 million dollar question. One of the TR ones, Linn Drum, Oberheim DMX or EMU Drumulator?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Staarchylld

08 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:
GRIFTY wrote:grab decimort2 and put some sampler-style grit on your drums. it is 1000000000% worth the money
What will decimort2 give the drum samples?

Hepcat...just been on Who Sampled and the drum break from Liquid is Liquid is from this track:-

But there's obviously another drum loop from probably a drum machine layered over the top. I would like to know where the 2nd layer comes from actually.
The original sample was from Lyn Collins -Think about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorped

26 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:Which drum machine though, that is the 6 million dollar question. One of the TR ones, Linn Drum, Oberheim DMX or EMU Drumulator?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7499033 See for your self :mrgreen:
They should all be in there - plus a lot more.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

MDTerps2015

26 Feb 2017

In hip this house , i think that is an old live drum beat from James Brown. Clyde was the drummer and its been compressed and chopped up so many times that the compressed and chopped became samples themselves.

Am i right.
This is the guy I think that beat originally came from, Clyde Stubblefield

Fast forward into the video a little bit and you will hear a lot of his different drum beats. They are classic and they have been sampled thousands of times.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

RTFX

27 Feb 2017

Acen and Liquid. Man those were the days. Ruff, tuff and wicked stuff
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

• Information