Doubt for sidechain! Kick plus pad

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jowe79

03 Feb 2017

Hello people ... there are thousands of ways to do sidechain with reason through ssl or with master class compressor with spiders ... but I have a doubt about it to see if you can tell me how it would do ...
I have a kick and a pad, okay? And I want to apply sidechain effect to the pad logically .. the source is the kick, but if the kick disappears the sidechain effect disappears on the pad ... as it would do if I am interested ONLY momentarily on a part of the track only listen to the effect Sidechain on the pad ... but not the kick?...and put it all together again later ??
How would do?muting the input drum channel? But can you automate that ???
Do you understand what I mean? Anything Rns please?
Or explain it?
That is ... sounds kick + pad with effect sidechainen pad ... then only pad with sidechain effect to be maintained but without kick oviously... and then later enter the kick again ... can be the use same kick? Thank you

Loque

03 Feb 2017

Not sure, but if you just mute the kick channel and not the sequencer you should still get the sidechain effect.

Did you every thought about manual sidechaining? With CV only that is triggered by a note in the sequencer, maybe with a Thor which gate signal is routed to a CV out controling a fader in a 14:4 mixer? You have full control over the length and ADSR.
Reason12, Win10

Jowe79

03 Feb 2017

Ok i will try kick channel... i must learn do this like you say me with thor... i'm very frustated using cv signals in thor.. but thanks a lot.. if any where can be say me something! Iwill be congrat!:) thanks
Sorry my bad english

tobypearce

03 Feb 2017

Jowe 79.
The way to get around this is to have a kick track dedicated to sidechain.
Create redrum, disconnect it from the mixer channel, and set to run constantly.
Run the output from that straight into the sidechain compressor of the pad.
That way, the sidechain signal will still be present even when the track's main kick is not playing.
If you need to sidechain more tracks, go for the spiders.

That's the way I always did it. Then I got Pump, and have never looked back.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/pump/
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Jowe79

03 Feb 2017

What means that with pump RE no need any more for make sidechain effect?

tobypearce

03 Feb 2017

Yes
Automatic

Jowe79

03 Feb 2017

I can use only one pump like a send for apply sidechain in various destination tracks? Or one pump each time in every channel?

EdGrip

03 Feb 2017

It's got a send mode, but I don't really understand how it works as I have not tried it.

I find it's hard to get the MClass compressor to do a proper sidechain pump. RE2A works well if you got that while it was free, and of course the SSL channel comps do it well too.

tobypearce

04 Feb 2017

Yes, it's one pump on each channel.
But it's low CPU so no problem.

riemac

04 Feb 2017

Jowe79 wrote:I can use only one pump like a send for apply sidechain in various destination tracks? Or one pump each time in every channel?
Yes, you can use only one pump as a send effect, this is very effective. There is no better solution in my opinion.
It works with Phase inverting the send audio.

Loque

04 Feb 2017

Here is a duck-effect that can be used in sequencer mode or manually triggered by notes. It works as a insert fx.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7498951#p307607
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

04 Feb 2017

Hmm. I've tried Selig's phase-inverting send ducker combi - I found it was very artifact-y. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

• Information