Velocity stuff

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Taff

19 Jan 2017

OK, you have a hoard of notes in the sequencer, and you want to add some realism by adjusting the velocity of some notes, all fine and dandy.

If two notes are vertically stacked, I've been moving one out of line, adjusting the velocity of the other, then moving the note back into line.

Is there an easier way?

Loque

20 Jan 2017

Multiple notes can be adjusted in velocity by holding shift and use the edit marker. Select the stacked note, hold shift and adjust the velocity with the edit marker.
Reason12, Win10

Taff

20 Jan 2017

Thanks Loque, but I want to adjust single notes whose velocity "red stripe" in the velocity lane is under another.

Think of a chord; you have three (or more) notes, which start at exactly the same point. In the velocity lane, they would show as one vertical red stripe.

To alter the velocity of say the lowest note, without affecting the higher two, you have to move the lower note out of synch, adjust it, then put it back in it's place.

Is there a way of altering the velocity of one note in a "stack"?

rcbuse
RE Developer

20 Jan 2017

I think loque was attempting to explain exactly what you want to do. Holding down Shift while you draw in the velocity lane will cause only those notes selected to be changed. You need to select only those you want to be able to edit.

1) Use the Selection tool (Q) to select only the notes you want to change the velocity for.
2) Change to the Pencil Tool (W)
3) Hold down Shift while drawing in the velocity lane.
4) Notice that only those selected notes actually change in velocity and non-selected notes are locked in place.

Taff

21 Jan 2017

Cheers, that's a great explanation, sorry if I missread Loque.

• Information