Attn dub producers

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dvdrtldg

29 Sep 2016

I've been a heavy dub listener for years and have recently been experimenting with dub elements in my music (which is sort of abstract droney & psychedelic, but increasingly using drums & rhythmic elements). But I find it hard to get a really good classic 1970s sort of sound, especially that hard "knocking" effect that guys like King Tubby get on the drums. The Echo sort of heads in that direction but I'm always a bit disappointed with the results

Anyway - interested in hearing about any favourite techniques or REs that you dub heads find particularly useful for attaining dat natty dread riddim kind of sound

Abstrax

29 Sep 2016

It's been awhile since I've made some dubs, but I used to love doing it. Any unsynced delay with breakouts are your best friend here. Remember that they were performing all those analog tape delays/flanges/FXs in real time. Don't be afraid to crank the feedback higher than usual for a few bars.

As for the Drums. I always noticed that if the bassline was legit, the kick just barely had to poke through the mix for it to translate. The riddim was always in the bassline, the big snare & hats, and skank.

Not sure if this is helpful at all. I've always been in love with the arrangement abilities of those dub producers also.

GRIFTY

30 Sep 2016

slap scream4 on the tape setting across your whole mix. on the master insert. use lots of distortion and consider decimort2 for your drums

Loque

30 Sep 2016

The Echos limiter on parallel channel.
Reason12, Win10

• Information