Parsec vocoder help needed

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
jfrichards

06 Jul 2016

Does anyone know exactly how to set up the vocoder in Parsec? Can anyone give a few examples with different carriers and modulators so we can see the variations? I couldn't find a video on it. Any soundcloud or allihoopa clips?

K1TTENM1TTEN

06 Jul 2016

Although I know that I asked about this in a different thread, here is what I did to at least hear the vocoder, I am still trying to figure out how to make it actually sound good though -

1) Create an audio channel, either record some vocals or keep the line active.
2) Create an instant of Parsec, and "reset" the device.
3) Hit tab, go to the back panel of your audio channel's mixer, and place a cable from the Direct Out of the audio mixer and plug it into Parsec's "Audio In" input (side note, I am still not really sure why they went mono with that when this is a stereo instrument).
4) Select Parsec in the sequencer area to make it playable, and again make sure that your audio input channel is still active or you are playing the recording. Then play some chords and hear your audio become vocoderized (I totally made that word up, stop trying to correct me Chrome it is not misspelled, haha).

That is about as far as I got. By default it doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound great, either. I am hoping someone that is more experienced with this synth can lend a tip or five into how to make this sound awesome.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:Although I know that I asked about this in a different thread, here is what I did to at least hear the vocoder, I am still trying to figure out how to make it actually sound good though -

1) Create an audio channel, either record some vocals or keep the line active.
2) Create an instant of Parsec, and "reset" the device.
3) Hit tab, go to the back panel of your audio channel's mixer, and place a cable from the Direct Out of the audio mixer and plug it into Parsec's "Audio In" input (side note, I am still not really sure why they went mono with that when this is a stereo instrument).
4) Select Parsec in the sequencer area to make it playable, and again make sure that your audio input channel is still active or you are playing the recording. Then play some chords and hear your audio become vocoderized (I totally made that word up, stop trying to correct me Chrome it is not misspelled, haha).

That is about as far as I got. By default it doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound great, either. I am hoping someone that is more experienced with this synth can lend a tip or five into how to make this sound awesome.
You forgot the step to select "Audio In" on either mod in the Sound Engine "A" or "B",

For a bit of fun select the second mod as Voice (Formant) X=23%, Y=66% ... Gives it like an old AM effect.

K1TTENM1TTEN

06 Jul 2016

Oops, you are correct! Step 4 should be select "Audio In" in one of the four mods. :-D

eusti

06 Jul 2016

I find things that make a difference in sound:

- shift x (lag y smears the sound easily, use sparingly or on the other side (A), then it can be used as another part of the sound, intensity adjustable via Balance control.)
- Oct (Pitch)
- Generator B wave forms

Hope that helps.

D.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 12.49.33.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 12.49.33.png (255.45 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

eusti

06 Jul 2016

Here's me going through some of the settings...

D.
Attachments
ParsecVocoTest_070616.mp3
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 94 times

jfrichards

06 Jul 2016

Thanks everyone, I'm just taking a first step. At least now I hear something:
https://allihoopa.com/s/bbcMYLZU

K1TTENM1TTEN

07 Jul 2016

eusti wrote:Here's me going through some of the settings...

D.
Is there any way you could record that automation into a song file and upload that file so I can see exactly what is going on behind the scenes?

eusti

07 Jul 2016

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:
eusti wrote:Here's me going through some of the settings...

D.
Is there any way you could record that automation into a song file and upload that file so I can see exactly what is going on behind the scenes?
Sure: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wvslvugbtcii ... eason?dl=0
It's a 2.4 MB Reason 9 file.

Hope this helps.

All best,
Dirk.

jfrichards

07 Jul 2016

eusti wrote:...

Hope this helps.

All best,
Dirk.
Wow Dirk, that's super helpful. And it lets you set up and modulate 4 vocoders per Parsec! And playing the keyboard changes the notes of the vocoded voice!
Attachments
4 vocoders per parsec.png
4 vocoders per parsec.png (646.35 KiB) Viewed 1653 times

berndhoen

07 Jul 2016

@eusti
Thank you very much for your example song file!

eusti

07 Jul 2016

I'm glad I was able to help both of you out, John and Bernd! :)

D.

• Information