Quantizing

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Emian

17 Dec 2016

Saw this & was wondering, can this be done in Reason using RE/Players ??

The quantizing of a LFO-pitched sound sounds so interresting !

Video:

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

mataya

17 Dec 2016

After I tried like 20 different combinations I decided to wait and see if anyone else got it.
I tried it with players and also putting quantized sine shape with shaper that's going into tuner so i can choose a scale.
I tried it with PSQ with no luck, but i did get close.
I'm thinking of putting audio to cv and then put that cv signal trough psq or some shit...aarrgghhh ...I wanna see that in Reason.

Please someone.
tx
M

mataya

17 Dec 2016

Actually, jut going into neptune with an output from the synth enables you to quantize and even select the scale, but that's as far as I got.
Can't control speed, which is a must... I'll experiment some more.

Olivier

18 Dec 2016

Cool little puzzle. First, what is actually happening ?

Sounds like pitch CV is modulated over several octaves and quantized pentatonically.
When he operates the slider he's using the portamento function of the module.

So basically you should be able to do this with 1 synth, its portamento control and a player to quantize the notes.. The lfo-ness of the pitch can be simulated by a note clip. But it lacks control and handling the note clip is rather cumbersome.

Then there's the more modular way to do this.
The best result i get is when i emulate this setup using a combi made from:

- A Pitch signal (the "lfo") created from 2 pulses from a matrix going through Lectric Panda's janitor CV shaper (1) to slew and shape it
- Into Ochen K's CV Tuner to apply pentatonicness (quantizing)
- Back into Janitor (2) again to add the portamento. Attack and decay independently, which translates into seperate control for portamento UP and DOWN.
- Finally IN to the Subtractor's oscillator PITCH input. Do not use the note CV input because it will quantize the CV signal to the nearest note where Pitch input will not.

Added is a zip with:
The CV Quantizing example COMBI.
An R9 project using the example combi including a quick demo of the scales and chords method.
Attachments
CV Quantize Example.zip
(106.34 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

mataya

18 Dec 2016

you have a bow my man. thank you so much

Olivier

18 Dec 2016

Another example based on 1PSQ, 2 Janitors and a Subtractor.
CVExample2.zip
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Emian

18 Dec 2016

eauhm wrote:Cool little puzzle. First, what is actually happening ?

Sounds like pitch CV is modulated over several octaves and quantized pentatonically.
When he operates the slider he's using the portamento function of the module.

So basically you should be able to do this with 1 synth, its portamento control and a player to quantize the notes.. The lfo-ness of the pitch can be simulated by a note clip. But it lacks control and handling the note clip is rather cumbersome.

Then there's the more modular way to do this.
The best result i get is when i emulate this setup using a combi made from:

- A Pitch signal (the "lfo") created from 2 pulses from a matrix going through Lectric Panda's janitor CV shaper (1) to slew and shape it
- Into Ochen K's CV Tuner to apply pentatonicness (quantizing)
- Back into Janitor (2) again to add the portamento. Attack and decay independently, which translates into seperate control for portamento UP and DOWN.
- Finally IN to the Subtractor's oscillator PITCH input. Do not use the note CV input because it will quantize the CV signal to the nearest note where Pitch input will not.

Added is a zip with:
The CV Quantizing example COMBI.
An R9 project using the example combi including a quick demo of the scales and chords method.
Wow Amazing job !!

i had been fiddling with an Pulsar connected to a combinator CV-in & a Scales & Chords inside the combi to quantise with very weird results....

Thx for sharing this !!

mataya

18 Dec 2016

Oh yes. That's what I wanted. PSQ and Janitor. I was trying, but with no luck.

THANKS!

m

Catblack

20 Dec 2016

I didn't completely understand your routing, but I enjoyed what it did. I'm after a different effect, but I think you've nailed the sound in the video pretty well.

There's got to be a list of cv values that correspond to notes out there.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Emian

26 Dec 2016

eauhm wrote:Another example based on 1PSQ, 2 Janitors and a Subtractor.

CVExample2.zip
i believe your example using the CV-tuner by Ochen K is closest to the video, but thx for the 2nd approach; time to experiment with all this :)

i have a lot of fun allready but i ran into a problem : synths like Subtractor, Maelström & Redominator have an dedicated "OSC Pitch" CV in. however, synths like Antidote don't.... i tried routing CV-input 1 to "pitch Coarse" in Antidote's mod matrix but the notes sound off compared to the Subtractor combi ....

Anyone has any solutions ? thx in advance !!!

• Information