PlayDFAM

Discuss VST stuff here!
Faastwalker

27 May 2024

Any Moog DFAM owners here? Just spotted this fantastic VST from Artifical Audio for controlling the DFAM.

I'm getting mixed results using the free SyncDFAM via an Expert Sleepers ES-3. But, basically it seems to work.

https://www.artificialaudio.com/playdfam

RandomNoise

27 May 2024

Wow this is amazing! I own a DFAM, but unfourtantly my audio interface don't support audio to CV (Focusrite Scarllett 18i8)... :cry:

rorystorm

27 May 2024

Yeah! Saw this earlier today. Really excited about it.

Neo

27 May 2024

What DFAC RandomNoise, you forgot to share.. :thumbup:

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

DaveyG

27 May 2024

I still find it a bit odd that Moog don't put MIDI on that range of products. They sell it in a desktop box but it only really plays nicely with a modular rig or with one of the few controller keyboards that have CV output. In the meantime Behringer clones 'em, adds MIDI and USB and sells them for a third of the price.

Recently I've seen a list of audio interfaces with DC coupled outputs but can't remember where it was. Maybe Sweetwater?

RandomNoise

27 May 2024

Neo wrote:
27 May 2024

That was before I had the real thing :lol:

r_ek

27 May 2024

Hm I use CV Tools in Ableton to play and sync my DFAM, so what can this do for extra things?

Faastwalker

27 May 2024

RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2024
Wow this is amazing! I own a DFAM, but unfourtantly my audio interface don't support audio to CV (Focusrite Scarllett 18i8)... :cry:
It has SPDIF out. That should work with these Expert Sleepers modules;
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es40.html + https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8cv.html

I guess this works much the same as ADAT with the ES-3 and ES-6 modules. Not had much experience with SPDIF though. I don't think I've ever used it for anything! But the ADAT Expert Sleepers modules work amazingly well. Essential for me now to control modular from Reason, send audio out from Reason, record back in. It's a bloody marvel! :D

DaveyG wrote:
27 May 2024
I still find it a bit odd that Moog don't put MIDI on that range of products. They sell it in a desktop box but it only really plays nicely with a modular rig or with one of the few controller keyboards that have CV output. In the meantime Behringer clones 'em, adds MIDI and USB and sells them for a third of the price. Recently I've seen a list of audio interfaces with DC coupled outputs but can't remember where it was. Maybe Sweetwater?
Yeah, they made it completely analogue. Would have been nice if it had basic MIDI. Even if they had it on a mini jack to MIDI adapter type thing. But the main trick they missed was the kind of control to play the sequencer backwards, random, and individual steps playable. That's where play DFAM comes in, if you have a way to send CV from your DAW that is.

r_ek wrote:
27 May 2024
Hm I use CV Tools in Ableton to play and sync my DFAM, so what can this do for extra things?
Not used CV tools. PlayDFAM allows you to play the sequencer forwards, backwards, random and also play individual steps on the DFAM. Check the video for the full demo of features.

Neo

28 May 2024

RandomNoise wrote:
27 May 2024
Neo wrote:
27 May 2024
That was before I had the real thing :lol:
Indeed :lol:
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

RandomNoise

29 May 2024

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es40.html + https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8cv.html

I guess this works much the same as ADAT with the ES-3 and ES-6 modules. Not had much experience with SPDIF though. I don't think I've ever used it for anything! But the ADAT Expert Sleepers modules work amazingly well. Essential for me now to control modular from Reason, send audio out from Reason, record back in. It's a bloody marvel! :D
Oh :o I was not aware of that option, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Faastwalker

29 May 2024

RandomNoise wrote:
29 May 2024

Oh :o I was not aware of that option, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
No worries :thumbup: I know the ES-9 uses SPDIF rather than ADAT. But the modules I linked to (I guess) are the SPDIF equivalent of the ES-3 and expander ADAT options. The ES-9 costs a fair bit! Great module though.

I'd do a little research into the SPDIF options from Expert Sleepers. I'd imagine they work as well as the ADAT modules with Reason. But, as I said I've never used SPDIF before for anything!

Two essential Rack Extensions I use with the ES-3 & ES-6 are these from RoboticBean;
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bundle/cv-io-bundle/

Faastwalker

30 May 2024

I just bought PlayDFAM after successful test with the free SyncDFAM. Ran into a bit of a problem with the installer though. As soon as I try to run it Windows Defender detects a severe Trojan threat!! :shock:

That not cool!! I've wrote to Artificial Audio for help.

DaveyG

30 May 2024

Not cool indeed. While you are waiting for a reply upload it to www.virustotal.com and see what their verdict is.

Faastwalker

31 May 2024

DaveyG wrote:
30 May 2024
Not cool indeed. While you are waiting for a reply upload it to www.virustotal.com and see what their verdict is.
Cheers. Tried that online scan tool. Not quite sure what the results mean. A few things in red, so that doesn't look so good! :|

No word from ArtificialAudio as of yet though :?

DaveyG

31 May 2024

Faastwalker wrote:
31 May 2024
DaveyG wrote:
30 May 2024
Cheers. Tried that online scan tool. Not quite sure what the results mean. A few things in red, so that doesn't look so good! :|

No word from ArtificialAudio as of yet though :?

I hate it when I get a result like that. Over 70% red is always malware. 100% green is almost certainly safe. But when I get just a handful of reds it just makes me uneasy. Chances are it's a false positive but maybe wait for a response from the vendor. When they blame your virus checker point 'em towards VirusTotal.

Faastwalker

04 Jun 2024

I heard back from ArtificialAudio. PlayDFAM 1.0.2 just dropped and crucially;

Tested it and no more warnings from the installer file. Thanks you ArtificialAudio :thumbup:

mimidancer

05 Jun 2024

I use the MAFD and drum sequencer to control mine.

• Information