Adding full ADSR envelope to Serato Sample slices

Discuss VST stuff here!
Enywed

09 Mar 2024

Now that VST's can have 32 stereo outs, I am trying to route each Serato Sample slice to any controller/device in Reason 12 that can apply an envelope to the slice. The actual attack and release buttons on Serato Sample for each slice is very limited for what I need to do.

I have tried using 'DEG-2 Dual Envelope Generator', which supposedly converts Audio to CV, but wiring it up and understanding it all defeated me. Same deal with 'Modrack ADSR'. I attached Thor's global envelope modulation output to the Level parameter of a slice and something occurred, but again, couldn't get my head round it.

If anyone has the know-how on how to work this out I'd be truly grateful. Been trying to do this for years now and have always failed, and so has Chat GPT. I'm starting to think it is impossible. It's the only extra feature I think that'd make Serato perfect imo.

M2 Mac (Sonoma), Reason 12+, MiniLab 3 x2.

platzangst

10 Mar 2024

I think if you were a bit more specific about what precisely you were trying to do, it would be easier to give you advice. For example, if you play a sample in some device, and then run it through a different envelope-creating device, what you can do with that envelope is going to be limited by the sample itself. It would be relatively easy to take a lengthy sample of a pad or drawn-out ambient sound and shorten it with an envelope, and even give it a percussive feel. However, if your sample is a sharp drum hit, an envelope generator won't enable the sample to become long and drawn out - the envelope won't generate sound that doesn't already exist.

Beyond either of those conditions, I'm having trouble imagining what sort of effect you're trying to achieve.

huggermugger

10 Mar 2024

You're on the right track with Modrack ADSR. But you have to trigger Modrack's ADSR. You can do this with a handy utility called One-Note Stand. Then patch the ADSR CV out into Serato and route it to the volume control of the desired sample. That, I can't help you with, as I don't have Serato. In this example, I'm using the Modrack ADSR to control the cutoff of Subtractor's Filter 2.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.57.41 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.57.41 AM.jpg (225.36 KiB) Viewed 438 times

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2024

huggermugger wrote:
10 Mar 2024
You're on the right track with Modrack ADSR. But you have to trigger Modrack's ADSR. You can do this with a handy utility called One-Note Stand. Then patch the ADSR CV out into Serato and route it to the volume control of the desired sample. That, I can't help you with, as I don't have Serato. In this example, I'm using the Modrack ADSR to control the cutoff of Subtractor's Filter 2.
I don’t have it, but doesn’t the ADSR take a gate from being inside the Combinator (so you don’t need the “One Note Stand”?).
Selig Audio, LLC

huggermugger

10 Mar 2024

selig wrote:
10 Mar 2024

I don’t have it, but doesn’t the ADSR take a gate from being inside the Combinator (so you don’t need the “One Note Stand”?).
No, not inside nor outside a Combinator. The Combinator doesn't recognize it as a keyable device.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.02.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.02.54 PM.png (486.97 KiB) Viewed 413 times

Enywed

11 Mar 2024

huggermugger wrote:
10 Mar 2024
Thank you for providing this huggermugger. Useful. I now see how that might work with a Subtractor but would appreciate you explaining how I might do this behind the sampler. Here is an image of it: Image
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 19.17.56.png
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 19.17.56.png (849.57 KiB) Viewed 358 times

Enywed

11 Mar 2024

platzangst wrote:
10 Mar 2024
I think if you were a bit more specific about what precisely you were trying to do, it would be easier to give you advice. For example, if you play a sample in some device, and then run it through a different envelope-creating device, what you can do with that envelope is going to be limited by the sample itself. It would be relatively easy to take a lengthy sample of a pad or drawn-out ambient sound and shorten it with an envelope, and even give it a percussive feel. However, if your sample is a sharp drum hit, an envelope generator won't enable the sample to become long and drawn out - the envelope won't generate sound that doesn't already exist.

Beyond either of those conditions, I'm having trouble imagining what sort of effect you're trying to achieve.
Thanks for responding platzangst. I am merely trying to have more control over the envelope of each sample slice. These slices can be anywhere from 0.5 > 3 seconds. I have even tried automating volume itself but this falls down quite quickly given the variance of sample lengths.

Enywed

11 Mar 2024

Finally cracked it. This is a day I won't quickly forget. I am posting an even easier control of the slices by using a Matrix instead so you can always adjust the volume curve and visualise it.

Next, I want to establish how to manipulate all 32 slice levels in tandem. I am guessing some sort of large CV consolidator device will suffice that allows specific parameters for each voltage input.

Last edited by Enywed on 11 Mar 2024, edited 2 times in total.

huggermugger

11 Mar 2024

I downloaded a demo of Serato. Here's how I patched the Modrack ADSR into Serato to control the volume of the sample (they call them 'cues').
1.jpg
1.jpg (454.58 KiB) Viewed 338 times
On Serato, you're controlling the Level control for that sample. In order to get release happening, you have to open up the release time of the Serato setting to give the Modrack ADSR something to work with when it's supposed to be in release mode. Otherwise, Serato will cut the sound off as soon as you release the key. However, I found something weird and annoying with this. The Level dial only goes down as low as -12dB, not -∞ which I was expecting. So the ADSR can't drop the sound to silence, and you end up hearing the Serato release going on. I'm not sure how to solve this, and it might make this approach unusable.
2.png
2.png (177.22 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Enywed

11 Mar 2024

huggermugger wrote:
11 Mar 2024
I downloaded a demo of Serato. Here's how I patched the Modrack ADSR into Serato to control the volume of the sample (they call them 'cues').

1.jpg

On Serato, you're controlling the Level control for that sample. In order to get release happening, you have to open up the release time of the Serato setting to give the Modrack ADSR something to work with when it's supposed to be in release mode. Otherwise, Serato will cut the sound off as soon as you release the key. However, I found something weird and annoying with this. The Level dial only goes down as low as -12dB, not -∞ which I was expecting. So the ADSR can't drop the sound to silence, and you end up hearing the Serato release going on. I'm not sure how to solve this, and it might make this approach unusable.

2.png
The -12 db limit is beyond necessity here. This is just fine the way you have laid it out. I truly appreciate you taking the time to assist. I was spending a tremendous portion of my time on a solution and now I have several! And honestly, I just expected those anti-helpful answers but you guys proved me wrong. Cheers!

Enywed

11 Mar 2024

Btw, I hope you enjoy Serato Sample. If you want me to give you some tips on how to use it, I'd be happy.
I do believe this plug-in will change your life.

huggermugger

11 Mar 2024

I'm glad you got it working and glad to help in whatever way. I like programming challenges like these regardless of where they end up.

I'll check out Serato while I've got the demo, thanks!

• Information