Pigments 5 Update

Discuss VST stuff here!

DaveyG

23 Jan 2024

Yeah, great news. One of my absolute favourites.

They are claiming some CPU optimisations so it might be a bit lighter on CPU too.
As soon as their website starts working again I'll check out my upgrade price!

WaxTrax

23 Jan 2024

If you already own a previous version, the update is free :-)

Popey
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2024

Nice 👍

Thanks for the heads up

DaveyG

23 Jan 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
23 Jan 2024
If you already own a previous version, the update is free :-)
That's my very favourite price. I guess their server is being hammered by people downloading the new version...

Loque

23 Jan 2024

The external audio feature is interesting. Maybe coding on next update...
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

23 Jan 2024

I had to stop using it because it was becoming such a cpu hog. Looking forward to getting back into it. Seems to be running a lot better.

Loque

23 Jan 2024

Anyone tried the exploration bundle which comes free for new owners and at a lower price for already owners?
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

24 Jan 2024

Loque wrote:
23 Jan 2024
Anyone tried the exploration bundle which comes free for new owners and at a lower price for already owners?
The last thing I need is more Arturia presets, lol. There are millions already and they are always totally oversaturated with fx.

DaveyG

24 Jan 2024

I also have too many Pigments presets already - more than I'll ever audition. If the Explorations bundle was free I'd add them to my collection but it's not something I'd pay for, especially as I'm not really into MPE and they seem to be focussed on that.

And speaking of MPE, if you are wondering why the Macro 1 knob in Pigments is not behaving like the other Macro knobs it's because it is assigned to "MPE Slide" if MPE is enabled in the Settings (which it is by default). It's caught me out before with previous versions of Pigments but it seems that V5 has turned MPE back on again by default. Doncha just hate it when a problem comes back and you can't remember how you fixed it previously. :lol:

Loque

24 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
24 Jan 2024
Loque wrote:
23 Jan 2024
The last thing I need is more Arturia presets, lol. There are millions already and they are always totally oversaturated with fx.
Well, yea...trillions of presets and a lot of them are "Mehhh...". Some just sound like "Hey, we need new presets! Ok, i make 100 in the next hour and there you are!".

Ok, i think i'll pass. Thanks guys...
Reason12, Win10

Jaybignoise

25 Jan 2024

Hi, is anyone having a problem with updating the plug in when trying to open it in Reason 12 ? Because when I try, it crashes the daw...
:reason: My path that led me here : Reason 2.5, Reason 5, Reason 11 Suite, Reason 12 :refill: Too huge to list here

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2024

Jaybignoise wrote:
25 Jan 2024
Hi, is anyone having a problem with updating the plug in when trying to open it in Reason 12 ? Because when I try, it crashes the daw...
I had no problem with the update/install but have only run it once to test it - so far no issues here. Latest version of Reason, Mac OS.
In fact, the first patch I tried ‘triggered’ a song idea so that’s why I didn’t have a chance to test it further!
Selig Audio, LLC

moneykube

25 Jan 2024

opens on Mac Montery Os as well
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

robussc

25 Jan 2024

selig wrote:
25 Jan 2024

I had no problem with the update/install but have only run it once to test it - so far no issues here. Latest version of Reason, Mac OS.
In fact, the first patch I tried ‘triggered’ a song idea so that’s why I didn’t have a chance to test it further!
Cool, looking forward to kicking the tires myself!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

DaveyG

25 Jan 2024

Jaybignoise wrote:
25 Jan 2024
I went to test it for you but I couldn't find it in Reason, which puzzled me for a very short while before I realised I had installed only the VST3 and I use Reason 11. :oops:

I'm still having fun in the standalone, mostly playing with the new sequencer and with some of the new presets.

Jackjackdaw

25 Jan 2024

I spent a whole evening starting with the ‘3030’ preset , changing the oscillator to analogue and the filter to the multi mode so it sounded like a very convincing 303 and banging out generative acid lines with the sequencer. Very nice!

Jaybignoise

25 Jan 2024

Thank you for your help, problem resolved after complete uninstallation and reinstallation from Pigments 4 and update to version 5. Some slowdowns remain under Reason, but this is due to the great age of my computer. In stand alone, no problem noted.

Enjoy Pigments 5
:reason: My path that led me here : Reason 2.5, Reason 5, Reason 11 Suite, Reason 12 :refill: Too huge to list here

Chi-Individual

25 Jan 2024

I’m glad to see the CPU improvements. Pigments 4 used to take up to 5% cpu before I hit the first note. I’ve been trying it out as an insert for the fx and even with all 3 slots going on my M1 Pro it hasn’t gone over 3%. Of course more testing is needed. But so far so good.

dusan.cani

25 Jan 2024

Something is messed up in this update because some patches from previous version don't sound the same. Initial phase of the sound varies much more dramatically each time the note is pressed, so random clicks / thumps at attack phase is noticeable.

I was always happy for Pigments update but this time there is nearly nothing new regarding sound synthesis or effects. I wouldn't label it as version 5 at all..

One thing that I am missing in Pigments from beginning is per voice post filter distortion/shaper unit. I don't understand why they haven't added the distortion FX also for voice section, because it's very very useful feature.

DaveyG

26 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 Jan 2024
I spent a whole evening starting with the ‘3030’ preset , changing the oscillator to analogue and the filter to the multi mode so it sounded like a very convincing 303 and banging out generative acid lines with the sequencer. Very nice!
Hehe. Yeah, I know what you mean. The sequencer's slide row is kinda addictive... :lol: :lol:
(MS20 filter for me though. Always loved how crazy it can get.)

KingRoy

27 Jan 2024

Chi-Individual wrote:
23 Jan 2024
Has anyone used it as an FX yet? I was able to see a signal going into it but no sound coming out.

Yeah I finally found out how to do it.

Key is that the input you want to use has to be routed to a separate bus first.
And that bus has to be routed in to the " AUDIO IN " at the back of pigments.

Then when you play the track of choice, it gets altered and modified by the Pigments Filters / FX.

Chi-Individual

28 Jan 2024

KingRoy wrote:
27 Jan 2024

Yeah I finally found out how to do it.

Key is that the input you want to use has to be routed to a separate bus first.
And that bus has to be routed in to the " AUDIO IN " at the back of pigments.

Then when you play the track of choice, it gets altered and modified by the Pigments Filters / FX.

Must be user error on my end because I still get signal into Pigments but no output sound using the setup in your picture. However, I am able to get signal using sweeper. I put Sweeper in the insert section first and then Bypass it so it doesn't effect the signal. Then I route the Sweeper output to Pigments and the Output back to the insert section. Next I use Sweeper's follower to trigger Pigment's gate section and Viola, signal I can use Pigments FX with. This also works with Obsession, The Legend, Expanse and VK2, note sometimes you have to route the Sweeper LFO to the note section also to get it to work. I can't remember which ones need it though.

This set up also gives a bit more control over how Pigments, and the other RE's, behave as fx because you can control the gain and the A/R envelope of the signal going into Pigments.
Attachments
Pigments FX.jpg
Pigments FX.jpg (964.42 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

• Information