Latest GForce Software OB-X synth

Discuss VST stuff here!
Massimo

21 Nov 2023

I have downloaded the latest OB-X emulation from GForce software.

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/ob-x/

Very nice indeed...and there are additions to the original Oberheim that make the vst very capable of producing a wide and very interesting range of sounds. (See Xlfo and Xenv)

The only issue I am experiencing inside Reason 12 is a strange behavior with polyphony.
I load an instance of the synth with an init patch (easier to spot the issue), set the polyphony to the maximum 16 voices, no release...if I now play a note and hold it while at the same time I play other notes and release, the initial sustained note gets muted. It looks like the played notes are kept in a sort of cache even after being released...and when you reach the limit of polyphony the issue happens.

I tried the same with the stand alone version and everything is working as expected...therefore I conclude the issue is only happening in conjunction with Reason...could be Reason, could be the OB-X. could be both!
I have already sent a notification to GForce and got an immediate response that they will try to investigate the issue and hopefully come back with a solution.

I just wonder if it is only me or anybody else who tried this plugin having the same issue?

ChulaCoola

24 Nov 2023

What do you mean by no release? The release knobs in the filter envelope? Turning it all the way to the right?

I tried it, I couldn't tell because I get too much distortion by the time I get to about 6 - 8 notes. I have a low grade laptop good enough for Reason, but something like playing too many voices on this instrument or running a lot of instruments, really crushes my cpu.

Sorry I couldn't help you.

Yes, it is a very nice synth as a standalone, and as a VST, just not with a lot of instruments around it!
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

Massimo

27 Nov 2023

ChulaCoola wrote:
24 Nov 2023
What do you mean by no release? The release knobs in the filter envelope? Turning it all the way to the right?

I tried it, I couldn't tell because I get too much distortion by the time I get to about 6 - 8 notes. I have a low grade laptop good enough for Reason, but something like playing too many voices on this instrument or running a lot of instruments, really crushes my cpu.

Sorry I couldn't help you.

Yes, it is a very nice synth as a standalone, and as a VST, just not with a lot of instruments around it!
Sorry...probably the use "release" was a bit confusing (-;

Start with an init patch and make sure all envelopes (filter and VCA) have no release...but I guess it should already be programmed with zero release. Also set the max polyphony to 16 voices.
Now play a C2 (tenuto) and at the same time play a C3 (staccato) as many time you want, but still holding down the first C2...you will get a point in where the first (C2 tenuto) will be muted, even if you keep holding that note.
This would happens after 16 notes, assuming the additional notes are single notes...if you add chords, the limit will be reached before accordingly.

I did investigate further and repeated the test with another control keyboard (Maudio Oxygen) just to make sure the issue was not related to the main control keyboard (Nektar P6)...and another additional test using my Prophet Rev2 as a midi controller...same result.

I just whish somebody tasted the same and give the result...at least I would know if the problem is related to my system...or it is indeed a compatibility issue between Reason and this vst.

Needles to say...the OB-X sounds gorgeous!

Massimo

27 Nov 2023

Image and few audio files attached:
This shows what I played on the keyboard. Please note how the C2 note...even if I hold it for 4 bars, it gets muted half way.
Test 1 is what I get when playing the OB-X inside Reason 12.
Test 2 is what I get when playing the stand alone version on the OB-X...which works as expected.

Now, to get things more complicated and fun...if I export the track as audio (or if I bounce the track)...everything works as expected and I get Test 2... :shock:
Attachments
OB-X test 2.mp3
(407.89 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
OB-X test 1.mp3
(399.57 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
OB_X test screen.jpg
OB_X test screen.jpg (344.58 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

huggermugger

27 Nov 2023

I tested it with the init patch, 16-voice poly, and reproduced what you've illustrated, and I have no muting problem. I also inverted the notes (held note on top, staccato notes on the bottom) in case there was some sort of note priority thing going on. But no problem there either. (I'm using R12, latest version).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.22.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 9.22.58 AM.png (559.83 KiB) Viewed 1332 times

Massimo

27 Nov 2023

huggermugger wrote:
27 Nov 2023
I tested it with the init patch, 16-voice poly, and reproduced what you've illustrated, and I have no muting problem. I also inverted the notes (held note on top, staccato notes on the bottom) in case there was some sort of note priority thing going on. But no problem there either. (I'm using R12, latest version).
Thank you for testing it!
I may have to fresh install the plugin and check all drivers related issue :thumbs_up:

Massimo

27 Nov 2023

Fixed!
It was a setting on the preferences panel...I just un-select it...issue gone.

Super happy :D
Attachments
Preferences.png
Preferences.png (49.29 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

• Information