Scaler EQ

Discuss VST stuff here!
DaveyG

15 Nov 2023

Just launched - an EQ from the makers of the excellent Scaler 2.
Not sure what to make of it but I think I must be missing something:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/11473-Scaler-EQ

Bes
Competition Winner

15 Nov 2023

it's not a product i'm interested in but it is an interesting product
- Certified Reason expert

WarStar

15 Nov 2023

I actually kinda curious about this.. I can see it being more useful with recorded tracks. Interesting concept..

selig
RE Developer

16 Nov 2023

Bes wrote:
15 Nov 2023

it's not a product i'm interested in but it is an interesting product
This sums it up nicely.

It's more of a SISOAP (Solution in search of a Problem). With each new chord of a song there is the possibility of a different musical scale used, so I'm not even sure about the basic premise (that this type of harmonic adjustment is even important). There are also all the non-pitched elements in a mix that you wouldn't want to affect I would think. It could be that it's all those inter harmonics (and enharmonics) that makes things interesting, such as the resonate frequencies of a source (which may not be a part of the harmonic series), and all the other interesting sounds between the notes that probably should not have any harmonic 'alignment'.

For them to make me a believer they would FIRST have to establish that emphasizing the musical harmonics, or de-emphasizing the non-musical harmonics was actually a good thing, and something I needed. THEN they would have to show me how well their product does this task. I saw neither in the limited material they showed in the initial video. Maybe the technology has applications (could even be different from how it's being pitched currently) or maybe it is just a SISOAP, time will tell.

But the bigger issue for me it there is always some cost for using multiple peaks/notches across the audio spectrum (often it's ringing issues, but I haven't testing this device so I can't say for sure).
I didn't hear anything that piqued my interest here, nothing that screamed "Finally, the solution to all my problems" (or even a solution to one of them).

Still, it IS an interesting product.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information