Generative music for special needs

Discuss VST stuff here!
cinn314

31 Oct 2023

Hi all

I work with young adults with special needs (varying types but think autism as an example).

I would like them to have some sort of music play/thereby but the majority of them will not be capable of a lot of learning.

Therefore I'm looking for something that will generate (or I can preprogram) music that they they can change in some way through pressing keys on a midi keyboard.

Does anyone know of anything like this?

benjified

31 Oct 2023

I think your best bet might be an iPad with apps like Seaquence https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/seaquence/id1106270489

WaxTrax

31 Oct 2023

Check out Wotja https://wotja.com

It is extremely customizable, but it does come with a few ready-made templates where you just push the play button and it does its thing. It sounds great and relaxing, and it runs on many different platforms including phones and tablets.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Oct 2023

Did you post almost exactly the same request a few years ago? I remembersthe wording .
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

cinn314

01 Nov 2023

MrFigg wrote:
31 Oct 2023
Did you post almost exactly the same request a few years ago? I remembersthe wording .
Not me as I'm less than a year in the job, but if there is a similar post I shall go find it, thank you 👍

cinn314

01 Nov 2023

WaxTrax wrote:
31 Oct 2023
Check out Wotja https://wotja.com

It is extremely customizable, but it does come with a few ready-made templates where you just push the play button and it does its thing. It sounds great and relaxing, and it runs on many different platforms including phones and tablets.
Thank you I shall have a look at this.

Aosta

01 Nov 2023

Been using this for years, also on the ipad :thumbup:

Tend the flame

Dionysus

01 Nov 2023

cinn314 wrote:
31 Oct 2023
Good on you for going the extra mile. I work with people (mature adults) living with psychiatric challenges, and one particular client really loves their weekly music therapy sessions. I'm not a part of this, but in my own time I'm developing a series of tutorials towards teaching him some other skills to build his knowledge in other creative fields. The greatest gift we can give is the key to unlocking creativity, in my opinion.

Are you a Reason user, or just throwing some feelers out there to see what responses come back? If you're willing to go the Reason route, I have a few ideas that I might start building out as Combinators, with the focus being simplicity and FUN. I'm working on something right now that's quite complex, but can easily be stripped down to a simple user experience. And I wouldn't mind having a go at a complete band-in-a-box type of Combinator.

How many keys are on the MIDI controller you'll be using, and how many assignable knobs, pads, sliders etc ?

cinn314

03 Nov 2023

Dionysus wrote:
01 Nov 2023
cinn314 wrote:
31 Oct 2023
Good on you for going the extra mile. I work with people (mature adults) living with psychiatric challenges, and one particular client really loves their weekly music therapy sessions. I'm not a part of this, but in my own time I'm developing a series of tutorials towards teaching him some other skills to build his knowledge in other creative fields. The greatest gift we can give is the key to unlocking creativity, in my opinion.

Are you a Reason user, or just throwing some feelers out there to see what responses come back? If you're willing to go the Reason route, I have a few ideas that I might start building out as Combinators, with the focus being simplicity and FUN. I'm working on something right now that's quite complex, but can easily be stripped down to a simple user experience. And I wouldn't mind having a go at a complete band-in-a-box type of Combinator.

How many keys are on the MIDI controller you'll be using, and how many assignable knobs, pads, sliders etc ?
Many thanks for your reply. I am a (basic) reason user and did consider combinators but I'm not at that level.

The midi keyboard is 49 keys. Maybe each key doesn't have to play a note, just cause an action.

Yes I agree, creative arts should be accessible to them but aren't as easily accessed through the systems as I'd hope, hence going to use my equipment for this.

Any ideas you have will be much appreciated 👍

cinn314

03 Nov 2023

Aosta wrote:
01 Nov 2023

This looks good for some of the people I look after, thank you.

cinn314

03 Nov 2023

Aosta wrote:
01 Nov 2023

And after a bit more research into this I've seen this being used on an iPad and distorted through a guitar pedal which looks interesting.

Dionysus

04 Nov 2023

cinn314 wrote:
03 Nov 2023
Many thanks for your reply. I am a (basic) reason user and did consider combinators but I'm not at that level.

The midi keyboard is 49 keys. Maybe each key doesn't have to play a note, just cause an action.
Are you using Reason 12 ? I ask this because the Combinator had a significant upgrade, and is not compatible with the earlier version.

What specific brand/model keyboard will you be using ? If you can post a stock/retail image, I'll see if I can design a layout that visually corresponds to your hardware. Being able to twist knobs as well as use the keys will make this even more fun, while keeping it very straightforward to use.

If you can suggest some songs that your clients enjoy, that would help too.

Aosta

04 Nov 2023

cinn314 wrote:
03 Nov 2023
This looks good for some of the people I look after, thank you.
It works really well and you can easily get lost in it, you can also remove elements which isn't shown in the video.
The only downside I've found is that you exit a scape you cannot return and play with it again as it becomes 'locked' and you also cannot delete any scapes you don't like but these are minor gripes :puf_smile:
Tend the flame

pushedbutton

04 Nov 2023

I've been using Reason with people with special needs for a few years.
We should probably chat in private about what works and what doesn't.
Drop me a message if you want a chat.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

cinn314

18 Nov 2023

pushedbutton wrote:
04 Nov 2023
I've been using Reason with people with special needs for a few years.
We should probably chat in private about what works and what doesn't.
Drop me a message if you want a chat.
Many thanks 🙂

cinn314

18 Nov 2023

Thanks everyone.

As it's been mentioned a few times on here I actually looked into using an ipad, and what a rabbit hole I went down!!

Particularly shouting out Jakob Haqs channel but there were plenty of others.

So I've actually bought an ipad (will still look at reason stuff though).
I'm currently using some of the apps mentioned and also Loopy Pro (basically a looper) where they can make sounds and look and add to them. Will also be adding to the collection.

I wonder if reason would ever come to the ipad, it would be amazing with a touch interface.

Again, thank you all for your help 🙂

DaveyG

18 Nov 2023

Two freebies to try on the iPad.

Reason Studios' Figure. You touch and drag the screen to make music:
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/figure-ma ... d511269223

Also try Launchpad. It's basically a clip launcher but there are loads of presets so you can just load one up and press random bits of the screen to start, stop, or change a loop:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/launchpad ... d584362474

pushedbutton

18 Nov 2023

Good luck pulling them away from YouTube.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information