Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder now £39 / $39

Discuss VST stuff here!
danc

28 Sep 2023

If you are after what many believe to be the best tape emulation in plugin form then there is no better time buy it. Obviously I am referring to UAD's Studer A800. You don't need UADs hardware anymore as it's available in Native formats for PC and Mac.

For details: https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/inst ... order.html

Hundreds of reviews and commentary across the web, but some worthy places to start include: I've been waiting for ages until it hit a "must grab it now" price... and you can now get it for £39 / $39 or less. Take a look at Plugin Boutique, Plugin Fox etc. for this price. Note: currently it's double that price on the UAD site. I found some discount codes and got it for $37.05 on Plugin Fox, but no doubt you can beat that if you play the voucher code game.
Check my Soundcloud:

selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2023

I love this plugin, I use it on most mixes these days at the track level in LUNA. Wish Reason had a way to work with it like with LUNA, where you can control the entire machine with one set of controls across all tracks (just like with hardware).

Like many emulations, although I've worked extensively on Studer A800s, I've not compared these side by side. But the ability to treat it and set it up just like the original is great for me - maybe not so much for anyone who's not worked with the original. That said, it comes with plenty of presets which I find helpful when starting out with this plugin, if just to understand the audio range possible it covers.
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

28 Sep 2023

I find it funny that people think an actual Studer A800 colors the sound enough to warrant a plugin. Wasn't this just the bog standard 24-track studio tape recorder that countless albums were recorded on? I mean, aside from a little tape "warmth", I always assumed the A800 was pretty transparent. And a properly operating machine certainly shouldn't demonstrate any wow and flutter or hiss (not saying the plugin does this, as I don't have it). I'm just asking - isn't this just another tape saturation plugin effect?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Neo

28 Sep 2023

I'd be tempted if i didn't already own Softube Tape. Still tempted to try a demo^.

https://www.softube.com/tape
https://www.softube.com/user-manuals/tape

(A Studer B Ampex C EMI)

"Type A is based on a classic Swiss high end reel-to-reel machine, known and loved for its precision and linearity. Type B is much more colorful — it's a transformer based machine which adds extra weight and cream to the low end. Lastly, Type C is based on a British tape machine with a distinct vintage vibe."

Satin was on my watch list aswell.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Goriila Texas

28 Sep 2023

My first UAD plugin and first impression is good. Download and registering was easy with the software center. Love the thick color sound and saturation. Softube is very subtle that you can put on every track but the more you drive it the more it doesn't sound good imo. This and Satin sounds more pro taming harsh high frequencies and sound closer to hardware imo.

Neo

29 Sep 2023

Goriila Texas wrote:
28 Sep 2023
My first UAD plugin and first impression is good. Download and registering was easy with the software center. Love the thick color sound and saturation. Softube is very subtle that you can put on every track but the more you drive it the more it doesn't sound good imo. This and Satin sounds more pro taming harsh high frequencies and sound closer to hardware imo.
Definitely subtle..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

• Information