Anyone having issues with Sonic Projects OP-X PRO-II?

Discuss VST stuff here!
VT698

22 Sep 2023

Hi all,

In the last few weeks, my Sonic Projects OP-X PRO-II VST, which I've used a lot over a number of years, has started to have issues, so I am wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar, and whether there might now be an incompatibility issue with the most recent Reason update/s?

Initially, the problem showed up as a UI display fault - the plugin worked fine as far as MIDI and audio were concerned and all the on-screen controls for the synth worked, except for patch selection increments or decrements - while they still worked in changing the sounds - changes were not displayed. There was no patch list drop down and no visible change of patch name or patch number when the patch was changed. The installed OP-X PRO-II version at that stage was a VST2 / VST3 v 1.2.5, 64-bit.

Support from Sonic Projects has been excellent. They first suggested it could be a graphics card driver issue, as that has sometimes caused UI glitches, but it turned out not to be that. After then trying the latest release of the (VST3 only) OP-X PRO-II installer, (v1.3.0), the UI issue with displaying patches and patch changes is now sorted, but I find I now have notes hanging when they are input from my USB controller keyboard. Clicking the onscreen keyboard notes with a mouse works normally - notes don't hang or remain depressed after being released. It's just hanging when receiving incoming notes from the controller keyboard. The notes on the onscreen keyboard then remain depressed after being physically released on the controller keyboard under these circumstances. At Sonic Projects' suggestion, I also tried the installer intended to fix a note-hanging issue when used with Cubase, v1.3.1. But the issue persisted. I've now tested the OP-X PRO-II in Cubase on the same computer and it works normally there, and all my other VSTs are working normally in Reason. Sonic Projects now conclude that there must now be some incompatibility with Reason.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions!

Noise
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2023

One thing that I remember is that some vst's don't like scaling, the controls are rendered incorrectly.
(see plugin scaling options inside reason) and uncheck that options for that vst . Maybe you scaled it ?
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

VT698

24 Sep 2023

I hadn't scaled the interface, so it wasn't that. After a lot of very helpful discussions with Sonic Projects' Support, I have reached the following conclusions:

Only the VST3 versions of OP-X PRO-II are affected. Symptoms rather depend on which version of the plugin is installed. The v1.2.5 version of OP-X PRO-II (which is VST2 only) works perfectly in Reason. In the VST2 + VST3 version that followed, v1.2.6, unsurprisingly the VST2 also works fine in Reason but the VST3 doesn't. Also unsurprisingly, neither of the VST3-only versions of OP-X PRO-II (v.1.3.0 and v 1.3.1 - the latter being a version intended to work around a note-hanging bug for Cubase users) work as intended within Reason.

Symptoms varied, as I mentioned, according to the version of OP-X PRO-II, but included:

(a) No drop down patch list, and no visual updates of patch name or patch number, (although the patch sounds themselves would change) when using the patch increment and decrement buttons.

(b) Notes hanging when input was from a USB controller keyboard. In some cases, keys played were displayed on the VST's UI, and in such cases, the relevant key graphics remained depressed when the notes were hanging. The on-screen keyboard in the UI worked normally when notes were clicked by mouse. In other cases, the onscreen keyboard displayed no comtroller keyboard activity at all.

Sonic Projects have seen some similar issues with one or two other DAWs and said that in each case, the issues related to a bug in the way the DAWs handled VST3 plugins and that the publishers of those DAWs made a minor change and fixed the issue, and that therefore, there's a minor fix needed in Reason to sort out the compatibility issues for the VST3 version of OP-X PRO-II.

Hope this is of help to any other users of OP-X PRO-II, which is a really excellent synth that comes with a lot of great expansion banks.

crimsonwarlock

24 Sep 2023

So.... did you already submit a bug report to Reason Studios?
VT698 wrote:
24 Sep 2023
(a) No drop down patch list, and no visual updates of patch name or patch number, (although the patch sounds themselves would change) when using the patch increment and decrement buttons.
I've seen similar problems with certain plugins while beta testing for the VST3 functionality, and they were fixed after submitting a bug report.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ChristofDreyer1000

24 Nov 2023

@vt698 I’m having the same issues with the OPX Pro notes hanging using the VST3. I’ve never used OPX pro before and apart from the note hanging issue, I love the sounds and the platform.

Have you had any luck, either by contacting Reason or Sonicprojects to get it working? Is the solution perhaps just to use a VST2 version of OPX?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated!

ChristofDreyer1000

25 Nov 2023

Quick update ( o solution yet, unfortunately), but I did try to install a previous version of the Sonic Projects’ OP-X Pro II and with that the note hanging issue was resolved, but the dropdowns to get the the banks and presets did not function. I also could not find an older VST2 version to download for the Mac.

So above is consistent what was found by the original author, I believe.

Finally - I did submit a bug report to Reason, since this was the last recommendation that I got from Sonic Projects. No update from Reason yet, but will keep this forum posted when I do. If anyone else has a solution in the meantime, please let me know.

This synth is just too good to not have on Reason!!!

dagtastik

25 Apr 2024

We need a fix for this problem! Just submitted my ticket (April 2024).
Dagtastik
www.dagtastik.com

Reason 12, Mac Mini, Too Many VSTs from UVI, Arturia, G-Force, Native Instruments, Impact Soundworks, IK Multimedia, Toontrack, and Waves

• Information