TAL-Drum and TAL-Sampler drag and drop does not work?

Discuss VST stuff here!
supersmarter

03 Aug 2023

So I noticed an odd thing and asked myself am I doing something wrong or if there was some hidden Preferences value in Reason.

When using TAL-Sampler or TAL-Drum I noticed that I can not build instruments or kits by using the Reason browser. So in a nutshell nothing can be dragged from the Reason browser onto TAL Sampler or TAL Drum.

What I am trying to do? Nothing complicated. I have a 16-bit sample on my HDD. When I open that folder on my Reason browser I can see the sample but drag and drop onto TAL product does not work. As if, I drag a Bassdrum sample and want to drop it into TAL Drum Pad. It does not work. I can drop the same sample on Kong pad. The sample is fine, nothing unusual. 16-bit mono wav, 44khz.

For reference, when I try to do the same thing from the Ableton browser, Bitwig browser, or the Cubase media bay it works flawlessly. Drag and drop samples from their browsers onto TAL products works fine.

I tried to find the solution on my own and found this thread from 2017 but people misunderstood the OP and started bragging about entirely different things - I guess back then there was no solution or ?

viewtopic.php?t=7503790

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2023

supersmarter wrote:
03 Aug 2023
So I noticed an odd thing and asked myself am I doing something wrong or if there was some hidden Preferences value in Reason.

When using TAL-Sampler or TAL-Drum I noticed that I can not build instruments or kits by using the Reason browser. So in a nutshell nothing can be dragged from the Reason browser onto TAL Sampler or TAL Drum.

What I am trying to do? Nothing complicated. I have a 16-bit sample on my HDD. When I open that folder on my Reason browser I can see the sample but drag and drop onto TAL product does not work. As if, I drag a Bassdrum sample and want to drop it into TAL Drum Pad. It does not work. I can drop the same sample on Kong pad. The sample is fine, nothing unusual. 16-bit mono wav, 44khz.

For reference, when I try to do the same thing from the Ableton browser, Bitwig browser, or the Cubase media bay it works flawlessly. Drag and drop samples from their browsers onto TAL products works fine.

I tried to find the solution on my own and found this thread from 2017 but people misunderstood the OP and started bragging about entirely different things - I guess back then there was no solution or ?

viewtopic.php?t=7503790
I think you can drop them in straight from your sample folder on your HD. Failing that use the LOAD function on the sampler itself and navigate to the sample directory you want to use.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

supersmarter

03 Aug 2023

MrFigg wrote:
03 Aug 2023
I think you can drop them in straight from your sample folder on your HD. Failing that use the LOAD function on the sampler itself and navigate to the sample directory you want to use.
Look now I will sound terrible but this is really unfair what some of you guys are doing. It is the same as in the thread from 2017. You are trying to help me by not answering my direct question and steering this into the "it can be done a different way." which usually involves much more clicking. Thanks but this is not helping.

1. I have NEVER asked if can I load samples from my Windows Explorer. Did I? I did not (that works fine btw)
2. Have I asked about loading samples from within TAL's own sampler? No, I didn't because that works. But this is not the point nor have I asked about this specific workflow?! Because I use Reason's browser in my workflow because I use (surprise) Reason.
3. Is it so hard to imagine that I love using Reason's own browser which served me for years, I have all the favorites there, folders with samples etc.

Now I installed 3rd party software and drag and drop does not work. Sure you can say it is 3rd party fault. But this same product corresponds and behaves just fine in every other browser from every DAW known to people on Earth. In fact today I installed FL Studio and I can drag and drop samples from their browser onto the TAL plugin and it is just fine.

It seems to me that for whatever reason there is - Reason does not allow that. Which sounded like a distinctive issue from a specific side. I am saying a specific issue because 3rd party product (TAL Drum) behaves just fine in every other host known today. So it is either a Reason issue or my issue (user error). Hence why I asked am I missing something, is there some value in preferences?

If there is not, for crying out loud is it so hard to tell me" It is Reason's shortcoming" - I mean it's not as if the world will stop nor will I stop using Reason because of this. I just want to validate the issue.

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2023

THAT escalated quickly!
Folks here are eager to help find solutions for users who ask.
Someone gave a solution, how is that unfair?

To be clear, you’re not looking for a workaround, you’re asking if it’s a Reason “shortcoming” or not, correct?
Hopefully someone with TAL experience here can shed some light on the subject. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
03 Aug 2023
THAT escalated quickly!
Folks here are eager to help find solutions for users who ask.
Someone gave a solution, how is that unfair?

To be clear, you’re not looking for a workaround, you’re asking if it’s a Reason “shortcoming” or not, correct?
Hopefully someone with TAL experience here can shed some light on the subject. :)
Thanks for saying what I was thinking. Appreciated.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Lizard

03 Aug 2023

Well…. That killed the good vibes.

huggermugger

03 Aug 2023

I tested six different 3rd party VSTs that load samples.

All of them allow drag & drop from my desktop. But none of them allow drag & drop from the Reason Browser. So I'd say it's a limitation of the Reason Browser.

You can file a feature request with their customer support.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 12.14.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 12.14.55 PM.png (651.99 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 03 Aug 2023, edited 1 time in total.

ljekio

03 Aug 2023

This limitation has always existed in the Reason. Despite the fact that in the opposite direction (from the VSTi, drag the midi to the track), it works.
I suppose this is some kind of rudiment left over from the refill sample/patch protection system, nothing can be taken outside the Reason ecosystem, and VSTi does not work within this ecosystem, but is connected through a wrapper.
So something as simple as dragging and dropping from the finder/explorer is the most intuitive way if we don't want to crawl through the instrument's menu.

• Information