VSTs missing after upgrade - I'm crushed :(

Discuss VST stuff here!
turbocowboy

29 May 2023

Hello all,

I am really really annoyed and can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

I've been using all kinds of VST with Reason 12 with no problem whatsoever.

Alas, earlier this evening I saw an upgrade in waiting in Reason and so I downloaded and installed it.

When I restarted Reason, he didn't find my Arturia VST plugins anymore as if they had been uninstalled.
So the tracks with Arturia plugins on the song I was working on don't work anymore, and I can't even create
a new instrument with Arturia. There seem to be other problems with Kontakt6 but I decided to take one problem after another.

I'm really not feeling well regarding this, I fear I lost all the sounds and presets which were in the tracks.

Regarding the plugin management in Reason, in the "files" part of the preferences,
the correct plugins file access are listed (vst and vst3)

Note : all my plugins are still installed as standalone, I haven't deleted anything, and Logic still sees them normally. Only reason has ceased to see them. I can't even locate them manually, he sees the files but acts as if they were empty/didn't exist

Another thing I notice in my reason project, is that he lists the missing plugin as VST2
The vst2 is absent from my library so that would explain it. Except that when I re-install each plug in with the installer of each said plugin, VST2 is ticked but doesn't seem to install.

I'm really really sad cos I fear I may have lost hundreds and hundreds of hours of sounds and presets tweaking on my music, please please help me.

I have also searched for ways to "uninstall" the upgrade I just did in Reason, but it doesn't seem to be possible :(

Thank you guys for your help, greatly appreciated

joeyluck

29 May 2023

Are you on an M1/M2 Mac and running Reason natively on Apple Silicon?

If so and if you have VSTs that aren't compatible with Apple Silicon, you will need to run Reason using Rosetta if you want to use those VSTs.

turbocowboy

29 May 2023

JOEYLUCK THANK YOU THANK THANK YOU IT WORKED !

I'm exactly in the kind of configuration you wrote in your reply.
What I don't understand is that it all worked perfectly before I made the upgrade,
(perhaps the upgrade made an "unticking" of the rosetta option ?

I am SO relieved, I thought I had lost countless hours of work, thank you from the bottom of my heart really :)

QVprod

29 May 2023

turbocowboy wrote:
29 May 2023

What I don't understand is that it all worked perfectly before I made the upgrade,
Latest update made Reason M1 native. Reason only ran in Rosetta before.

joeyluck

30 May 2023

Hey, glad that worked for you!

It sounds like maybe you already tried to reinstall some VSTs? But definitely make sure all of your VSTs are up to date. Some might be compatible with Apple Silicon and just need to be updated.

turbocowboy

30 May 2023

QVprod wrote:
29 May 2023
turbocowboy wrote:
29 May 2023

Latest update made Reason M1 native. Reason only ran in Rosetta before.
Ok that explains it all. It made my Reason work with M1 but of course most of the plug-ins didn't.
(I realized all my Izotope vsts had stopped appearing in Reason as well, it was a mess). Thank you for your answer

turbocowboy

30 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
30 May 2023
Hey, glad that worked for you!

It sounds like maybe you already tried to reinstall some VSTs? But definitely make sure all of your VSTs are up to date. Some might be compatible with Apple Silicon and just need to be updated.
I absolutely did, and so in my plugin management window, I now have some plugins listed three times, with some listed as "impossible to load". I'm just glad everything's back to normal really :)

altron

30 May 2023

This basically means that any older VSTs that will never get updated will never run on M1/M2 natively. Kind of a bummer actually.
Trap is where music goes to die.

selig
RE Developer

30 May 2023

altron wrote:
30 May 2023
This basically means that any older VSTs that will never get updated will never run on M1/M2 natively. Kind of a bummer actually.
OTOH, running in Rosetting restores these VSTs and I didn’t exactly feel hog-tied when running Rosetta. I never found Rosetta was causing me to not have enough CPU to run any of the bigger projects I’m used to running, thanks to the power of the M1 in general I guess.

However, if these VST are not getting updated any longer it’s just a matter of time…
Selig Audio, LLC

turbocowboy

30 May 2023

selig wrote:
30 May 2023
altron wrote:
30 May 2023
OTOH, running in Rosetting restores these VSTs and I didn’t exactly feel hog-tied when running Rosetta. I never found Rosetta was causing me to not have enough CPU to run any of the bigger projects I’m used to running, thanks to the power of the M1 in general I guess.

However, if these VST are not getting updated any longer it’s just a matter of time…
I'm with you on that one, didn't feel a difference between running Reason with Rosetta and natively.
I wish I had known the risk of not being able to run the majority of my VST's before I upgraded, though

jam-s

30 May 2023

You can run the new version of Reason in Rosetta mode as well.

turbocowboy

31 May 2023

jam-s wrote:
30 May 2023
You can run the new version of Reason in Rosetta mode as well.
Yeah that's what I did, I had to cos it was the only way to get my VST'S back :D

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2023

turbocowboy wrote:
30 May 2023
selig wrote:
30 May 2023

I'm with you on that one, didn't feel a difference between running Reason with Rosetta and natively.
I wish I had known the risk of not being able to run the majority of my VST's before I upgraded, though
Yea it was a bit of a surprise for many but totally understandable at the same time. But here’s how I look at it. IMO, there is no “risk” of not being able to run your VSTs if you just do what you were already doing - run Reason in Rosetta mode. Then there is then no penalty for upgrading whatsoever.

But remember those VSTs that are no longer being upgraded have a clock counting down to the day they will no longer work at all, so running Rosetting mode (or not upgrading) is simply buying you more time rather than solving the problem. You still need to ‘ween’ yourself off of those plugins eventually, right? And when you do you can ditch Rosetta mode for good!

For me the only issues I had was templates/patches that used the older version of a plugin, usually a VST2 version where a VST3 version is available - swapping them out and re-saving solved the issue.
Selig Audio, LLC

hamsterfactor

31 May 2023

Rosetta 2 might not be an option in macOS 14, given Apple's track record.

The original Rosetta was only available for three OS releases. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_( ... e)#Rosetta

Guess we'll know more this coming Monday. https://developer.apple.com
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

Heater

31 May 2023

Well done Joeyluck for saving him. Good stuff.

turbocowboy

31 May 2023

selig wrote:
31 May 2023
turbocowboy wrote:
30 May 2023

Yea it was a bit of a surprise for many but totally understandable at the same time. But here’s how I look at it. IMO, there is no “risk” of not being able to run your VSTs if you just do what you were already doing - run Reason in Rosetta mode. Then there is then no penalty for upgrading whatsoever.

But remember those VSTs that are no longer being upgraded have a clock counting down to the day they will no longer work at all, so running Rosetting mode (or not upgrading) is simply buying you more time rather than solving the problem. You still need to ‘ween’ yourself off of those plugins eventually, right? And when you do you can ditch Rosetta mode for good!

For me the only issues I had was templates/patches that used the older version of a plugin, usually a VST2 version where a VST3 version is available - swapping them out and re-saving solved the issue.
I hear you, except with the upgrade, Reason relaunched itself bypassing the Rosetta mode (completely unbeknownst to me). If Joeyluck hadn't told me to run Reason in Rosetta mode, I would still wonder what was going on.

As for your comment regarding the VST not working one day, I think the problem is Reason and not the VST's in themselves. They were never the problem in the first place because they were still functioning with Logic Pro.

If I'm being totally honest, Reason and VST (especially on mac) have always had trouble functioning, remember how long we waited for a VST2-able version of Reason ? I can see myself dropping Reason in the future and focusing on more stable DAW's like Logic, unfortunately. I love Reason but I have had too many scary episodes like this one with it :D

QVprod

31 May 2023

turbocowboy wrote:
31 May 2023
selig wrote:
31 May 2023

I hear you, except with the upgrade, Reason relaunched itself bypassing the Rosetta mode (completely unbeknownst to me). If Joeyluck hadn't told me to run Reason in Rosetta mode, I would still wonder what was going on.

As for your comment regarding the VST not working one day, I think the problem is Reason and not the VST's in themselves. They were never the problem in the first place because they were still functioning with Logic Pro.

If I'm being totally honest, Reason and VST (especially on mac) have always had trouble functioning, remember how long we waited for a VST2-able version of Reason ? I can see myself dropping Reason in the future and focusing on more stable DAW's like Logic, unfortunately. I love Reason but I have had too many scary episodes like this one with it :D
Multi-DAW user myself so I’m not trying to convince otherwise, but Logic and every other DAW would’ve given you the same issue as far as not recognizing your plugins that aren’t M1 native.

turbocowboy

01 Jun 2023

QVprod wrote:
31 May 2023
turbocowboy wrote:
31 May 2023

Multi-DAW user myself so I’m not trying to convince otherwise, but Logic and every other DAW would’ve given you the same issue as far as not recognizing your plugins that aren’t M1 native.
Except it didn't, for some reason (no pun intended). When Reason didn't see my VST's anymore, Logic still did and as it has been M1 native almost from the start, I don't see any reason it would change. Or maybe Apple will stop implementing Rosetta altogether ?

turbocowboy

01 Jun 2023

hamsterfactor wrote:
31 May 2023
Rosetta 2 might not be an option in macOS 14, given Apple's track record.

The original Rosetta was only available for three OS releases. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_( ... e)#Rosetta

Guess we'll know more this coming Monday. https://developer.apple.com
So basically I'm better off not upgrading my mac os (I'm still on Big Sur and everything works fine). I am aware the situation is not ideal at all but it's the best way I found to keep everything running

turbocowboy

01 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
31 May 2023
turbocowboy wrote:
30 May 2023

What if the VSTs I use I have installed both as VST2 and VST3 ? (I left all the boxes ticked when installing). Does it mean I'm on the safe side for now ?

QVprod

01 Jun 2023

turbocowboy wrote:
01 Jun 2023
QVprod wrote:
31 May 2023

Except it didn't, for some reason (no pun intended). When Reason didn't see my VST's anymore, Logic still did and as it has been M1 native almost from the start, I don't see any reason it would change. Or maybe Apple will stop implementing Rosetta altogether ?
Oh right, Logic implemented a Rosetta wrapper at some point. So in some cases the non m1 plugins still work, but others have some issues. As Selig mentioned though, should Apple ever drop Rosetta (they likely will at some point eventually) and those plugins don’t get updated, you would have the same issue. So this isn’t so much a Reason stability issue so much as it is a technology transition that affects everything. You were just unaware of this update was.

turbocowboy

02 Jun 2023

QVprod wrote:
01 Jun 2023
turbocowboy wrote:
01 Jun 2023

Oh right, Logic implemented a Rosetta wrapper at some point. So in some cases the non m1 plugins still work, but others have some issues. As Selig mentioned though, should Apple ever drop Rosetta (they likely will at some point eventually) and those plugins don’t get updated, you would have the same issue. So this isn’t so much a Reason stability issue so much as it is a technology transition that affects everything. You were just unaware of this update was.
Yes that's absolutely it. Thus as I said in a previous post, I think I'm better off not upgrading anything :(

plaamook

14 Jun 2023

I’ll try posting on this thread so as not to make another w the same heading.

I just updated to R12.6.1 and a funny thing happened.
Oeksound plugs no longer show the VST2 version in the create drop-down.
It will load vst 2 versions from previous songs and both the versions are enabled in settings.

It’s only soothe and spiff. All other plugs are the same. Only change was the Reason update.

Any ideas there?

Mac running Catalina.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information