What are your fav synths to “just listen to”?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Chi-Individual

17 Feb 2023

Do you have any synths that you just love to play around with, even when you aren’t trying to make music? Synths that hit that sonic sweet spot no matter the patch? Or synths with a feature set that keeps you mentally or sonically engaged? Just curious who may spend hours just listening to a synth like I do.

For me these hit the spot:

Generate(vst) - I honestly have no idea how to use this synth but the sounds it makes are incredible. I always get good sci-fi sound design vibes from it.

The Legend and Obseession(RE) - whenever I just want to hear 80s analog style sounds these are my go to for just messing around.

Complex-1(RE) - I’m determined to figure this one out. This is my mental challenge synth. I could never do modular IRL.

RobC

17 Feb 2023

Just ModSynth app on Android, because it fits in my pocket, when inspiration strikes. : ) Sounds nice, too.

huggermugger

17 Feb 2023

SugarBytes Aparillo, I can browse patches all day and just marvel at how incredibly complex and huuuuge it sounds.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.24.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.24.17 PM.png (673.9 KiB) Viewed 2856 times

Jac459

17 Feb 2023

To play around, I felt in love with fabfilter twin 3, the UI is really the best around and the visual feedback of what you are doing on the sound really really help.
I am not a great sound designer and it's like this plugin gives me super power.
Like the OP I love obsession and the legend. Twin 3 seems a good progression on these ones.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

MuttReason

17 Feb 2023

An old one but a good one… Thor. Still does it for me. Also, Europa… kind of Thor’s direct offspring but bigger and even better. Both stock synths can do so much.

In REs, The Legend. Best Moog clone around IMO. In plugins… Drum Computer by Sugar Bytes. Insanely capable and more than slightly weird instant groove machine.

Aosta

17 Feb 2023

I love messing around with Antidote, I find the oscillator setup and possibilities really interesting combined with the filters, turn on some effects and mess with the matrix and it is hours of exploration, I like the way it functions visually too.
I just find the sounds it produces has a certain something I don't find messing with other synths.
Tend the flame

DaveyG

18 Feb 2023

It's hardware but Microfreak. Stuff it through a delay and/or reverb pedal and noodle away. You can modulate anything and everything by putting more than one finger on the same key, or by "trilling" on a key and it has more oscillator types than I can remember. There is always something new and pleasing to be discovered in that magical little box.

BRIGGS

18 Feb 2023

Subtractor:

Because it uses 0% cpu... I can use it like a guitar, and put gobs of effects after it.

Endless
r11s

selig
RE Developer

18 Feb 2023

Any synth with a big lush stacked oscillator still makes me smile, especially if it’s stereo like Antidote or Europa. In hardware it would be Peak and HydraSynth.
I’ve always been a sucker for the slow evolving detuned oscillators, or in a pinch one oscillator with pulse width modulation (back in the days before the ‘super saw’ stacked oscillator was introduced). Add some slow phaser/flanger/chorus/delay combinations and make it even better for me! Could play/listen for hours, still to this day.
Selig Audio, LLC

Chi-Individual

18 Feb 2023

I’m scared of going to hardware synths. I think that would be the point of no return for me. :lol:

crimsonwarlock

18 Feb 2023

For me, it is still the DX7/PX-7. The small nuances in the sounds are hard to do with other synths, even today.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dioxide

18 Feb 2023

Viking 2. So far I've never actually used it any music but the times I'm just fiddling around and want to hear good sound it's usually my first choice. I'm surprised more people here don't talk about it.

BRIGGS

18 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Feb 2023
For me, it is still the DX7/PX-7. The small nuances in the sounds are hard to do with other synths, even today.
+1

anything DX wins :thumbup:
r11s

freshkidblaze

18 Feb 2023

Obsession by Synapse Audio, and Horizons by Skrock (the poohbear patches are great).

dvdrtldg

19 Feb 2023

Europa
Legend
VK-2
Zebralette
Vital

_andreypetr_

19 Feb 2023

Little off topic but could you tell me please what is so special in Europa synth nowadays? I started from Massive then tried Serum and after bought Expanse. Is there something very special about Europa after all? Spectral filtering?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2023

It's gotta be Legend for me. I don't really care for the included patches. But playing around with the filter section in combination with the drive and feedback knobs is very satisfying. Also I love using a tad bit of noise as modulation on my sounds.

visheshl

19 Feb 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
19 Feb 2023
Europa
Legend
VK-2
Zebralette
Vital
Looks like i need to buy legend and VK-2.
Because the other synths you mentioned are also my favourites.

visheshl

19 Feb 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
18 Feb 2023
Subtractor:

Because it uses 0% cpu... I can use it like a guitar, and put gobs of effects after it.

Endless
Exactly, also monotone for similar reasons, its a simple lo-CPU synth but can produce really good sounds.

visheshl

19 Feb 2023

Also since noone mentioned, tribute by speo, its a very different animal...but if you want to hear a nasty growl, this thing's got it.

Edit - im falling in love with maelstrom again. Chota packet, bada dhamaka (small packet, very big bang)

visheshl

19 Feb 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
19 Feb 2023
Little off topic but could you tell me please what is so special in Europa synth nowadays? I started from Massive then tried Serum and after bought Expanse. Is there something very special about Europa after all? Spectral filtering?
For me the first plus point is that its part of the reason rack. I generally don't like using vsts unless i absolutely need to.
Secondly it can produce most of the sounds i want in my pallette.
Thirdly its very CPU efficient.(for the kind of synth it is)
And also if you need to, you can load your favourite wavetables(from other synths probably)

_andreypetr_

19 Feb 2023

visheshl wrote:
19 Feb 2023
_andreypetr_ wrote:
19 Feb 2023
For me the first plus point is that its part of the reason rack. I generally don't like using vsts unless i absolutely need to.
Secondly it can produce most of the sounds i want in my pallette.
Thirdly its very CPU efficient.(for the kind of synth it is)
And also if you need to, you can load your favourite wavetables(from other synths probably)
Thanks! Good points🔥

BRIGGS

19 Feb 2023

I have to mention Grain, too.

Drop in any sample, and go crazy! :crazy:
r11s

Jac459

19 Feb 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
19 Feb 2023
I have to mention Grain, too.

Drop in any sample, and go crazy! :crazy:
100% agreed!

Grains is a grain+spectral cocktail like no others...
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

Jac459

19 Feb 2023

visheshl wrote:
19 Feb 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
19 Feb 2023
Europa
Legend
VK-2
Zebralette
Vital
Looks like i need to buy legend and VK-2.
Because the other synths you mentioned are also my favourites.
Give also a try to obsession, same category as vk2 and Legend but even better sounding IMHO.
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information