Issue with retriggering envelope

Discuss VST stuff here!
Ja ja

02 Feb 2023

Dear Reasontalk,

Lately, I've been spending quite some time, trying to improve my sound design skills (I'm still a beginner though). Mainly, I'm using KiloHearts Phase Plant within the Reason DAW, version 12.5. A few weeks ago I noticed different behavior between Phase Plant and Reason when triggering an envelope. I'm now looking for a way to let Reason behave the same as Phase Plant but I can't figure it out. I was hoping that one of you could help me solve this.

I made a figure to explain the issue, see attachment.

In this example, three notes are triggered subsequently in the sequencer without releasing any of the notes. This note information is send via arrow (1) to an instrument, Subtractor in this case. The audio signal from Subtractor is then routed through a Scream distortion unit and via arrow (2). The sound is then send to the general mixer via arrow (3). To create some movement in the sound, I would like to control the drive of the Scream distortion with an envelope, arrow (5). This envelope should be retriggered every time a note is hit (the blue arrows with trigger 1, 2 and 3 in the figure).

Within Phase Plant, an envelope is retriggered everytime a new note is hit. When I try to recreate this behavior in Reason, I cannot get this to work. All envelopes I tried only react to trigger 1 and ignore trigger 2 and 3. Is there a envelope in Reason which responds to all three triggers? I tried the following envelopes (envelope generators):

- Europa
- Grain
- Thor
- Subtractor
- Malström
- Lectric Panda Shape

I tested this by creating a Combinator, inserting a Subtractor, Scream and "envelope generator" in the combinator and then routing the CV output of the "envelope generator" to the CV input damage control on the Scream distortion unit (arrow 5). For all "envelope generators" the behavior was the same: the envelope only retriggers at trigger 1 and ignores trigger 2 and 3.

I noticed both Thor and Lectric Panda Shape have a input for a gate, which can trigger the envelope. Would it be possible to connect this this gate input to a gate signal comming from the sequencer, as shown with arrow (4)? Does this signal exist? I could not find it. The signals depicted in arrow (1) and (4) seem to be "wireless". Does anyone know if these signals exist and if its possible to intercept them to use as a gate trigger? I know Lectric Panda CV Player Tap splits the three triggers in three different signals, but I don't know how to apply this to retrigger an envelope with it (when combining these signals again, the same problem occurs, it becomes one trigger instead of three).

TLDR;

1) Is there an envelope generator within Reason that is able to respond to trigger 1, 2 and 3 from the figure (and not only to trigger 1)?
2) Is there a way to intercept the note information from the sequencer to an instrument, arrow (1) and (4)?
3) Is there another method that I overlooked?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Reason1.png
Reason1.png (88.06 KiB) Viewed 504 times

EnochLight

02 Feb 2023

Ja ja wrote:
02 Feb 2023
Dear Reasontalk,

Lately, I've been spending quite some time, trying to improve my sound design skills (I'm still a beginner though). Mainly, I'm using KiloHearts Phase Plant within the Reason DAW, version 12.5.
Mod note: moved this thread to the appropriate subforum. Good luck!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

02 Feb 2023

For Thor (yes, Thor again) you need to use the Mod Matrix to assign the envelopes to CV outputs. All three 'voice level' envelopes work for what you want, just not the Global Envelope (the only one with a dedicated CV out on the back, and why we must instead use the CV Outs via the Mod Matrix).
You have two options, specifically:
1-With Mono Retrig mode the peak CV level is constant.
2-With Poly mode the peak CV level increases with more notes played.
Not sure which would work best in your case, try both and see. :)

Some tips - get the free Skope Signal Monitor from Lectra Panda, it will help you be sure you're getting the CV you think you're getting!
Selig Audio, LLC

rmtcvolte

02 Feb 2023

Ja ja wrote:
02 Feb 2023

1) Is there an envelope generator within Reason that is able to respond to trigger 1, 2 and 3 from the figure (and not only to trigger 1)?
2) Is there a way to intercept the note information from the sequencer to an instrument, arrow (1) and (4)?
3) Is there another method that I overlooked?

Thank you in advance.
1) You already have Lectric Panda Shape, turn it around and switch Triggers to Multi
2) Lectric Panda CV Player Tap
3) Instrument, FX and Shape in a Combinator and in the Editor window activate Key to make Shape recieve Keys; use Combinator lane in the Sequencer for Note clips

Ja ja

03 Feb 2023

EnochLight wrote:
02 Feb 2023
Ja ja wrote:
02 Feb 2023
Dear Reasontalk,

Lately, I've been spending quite some time, trying to improve my sound design skills (I'm still a beginner though). Mainly, I'm using KiloHearts Phase Plant within the Reason DAW, version 12.5.
Mod note: moved this thread to the appropriate subforum. Good luck!
Thank you!

Ja ja

03 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
02 Feb 2023
For Thor (yes, Thor again) you need to use the Mod Matrix to assign the envelopes to CV outputs. All three 'voice level' envelopes work for what you want, just not the Global Envelope (the only one with a dedicated CV out on the back, and why we must instead use the CV Outs via the Mod Matrix).
You have two options, specifically:
1-With Mono Retrig mode the peak CV level is constant.
2-With Poly mode the peak CV level increases with more notes played.
Not sure which would work best in your case, try both and see. :)

Some tips - get the free Skope Signal Monitor from Lectra Panda, it will help you be sure you're getting the CV you think you're getting!
Thank you for your response. It works! I did not know that there was a difference in behavior between the envelopes inside Thor. I only tried the Global Envelope. Also thanks for the Skope tip, really helpful!

Ja ja

03 Feb 2023

rmtcvolte wrote:
02 Feb 2023
3) Instrument, FX and Shape in a Combinator and in the Editor window activate Key to make Shape recieve Keys; use Combinator lane in the Sequencer for Note clips
Wow! Thanks. This is exactly what I need.

I did not know I "Key" has to be checked in the combinator for Shape to receive the signals from the sequencer. Works perfectly.

Thanks a lot!

• Information