Do you opt to use a VST Channel strip over instead of Reason SSL?

Discuss VST stuff here!
selig
RE Developer

02 Jan 2023

QVprod wrote:
01 Jan 2023
Yes that’s a thing too. But not just for full on channel strips. I do use Neutron Elements because of how the EQ sounds. Just the EQ. Even with parametric EQs they don’t sound the same when boosting/cutting frequencies.
EQs sound different because the curves are not the same (or there is saturation added internally). Otherwise, if you match the curves (not just the front panel settings) all digital EQs sound the same (assuming all are minimal phase designs). Happy to be proven wrong, but I’ve done the comparisons so many times now I feel confident with this opinion. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

03 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
02 Jan 2023
QVprod wrote:
01 Jan 2023
Yes that’s a thing too. But not just for full on channel strips. I do use Neutron Elements because of how the EQ sounds. Just the EQ. Even with parametric EQs they don’t sound the same when boosting/cutting frequencies.
EQs sound different because the curves are not the same (or there is saturation added internally). Otherwise, if you match the curves (not just the front panel settings) all digital EQs sound the same (assuming all are minimal phase designs). Happy to be proven wrong, but I’ve done the comparisons so many times now I feel confident with this opinion. :)
We’re saying the same thing. I just didn’t explain why they sound different. Too technical for most to care about I think. More and more I’m gaining an appreciation for things that just work or get the desired results faster.

WarStar

03 Jan 2023

moalla wrote:
02 Jan 2023
I also using the ssl mixer more and more, it‘s quiet good, but for especial track eq filtering i use brainworx bx_digital v3 and RedRocks C1L1 for buss compression in the sends. Now i got HoRnets HA2A for drumcompression instead of discharged Re2a comp.
At the master it‘s a big pleasure with Millenias NSEQ-2 before the ssl comp, also biqceil are quiet impressive ass it was freebee, but 3x too cpu heavy.

Now i‘m still searching for a multiband comp for the master, still saw the lindell 354e for sale, but a comp2 with yoko band splitter and mc dsp compressors or softubes fet would be a nice thing, maybee therefore a rms comp iss the better thing?
As far as multiband compressor, the multiband in Ozone is top notch.. it's super easy UI and display is awesome.. and multi band Mid and Sides as well..!! put this on a full kit drum bus and you see what I mean..

moalla

04 Jan 2023

WarStar wrote:
03 Jan 2023
moalla wrote:
02 Jan 2023
I also using the ssl mixer more and more, it‘s quiet good, but for especial track eq filtering i use brainworx bx_digital v3 and RedRocks C1L1 for buss compression in the sends. Now i got HoRnets HA2A for drumcompression instead of discharged Re2a comp.
At the master it‘s a big pleasure with Millenias NSEQ-2 before the ssl comp, also biqceil are quiet impressive ass it was freebee, but 3x too cpu heavy.

Now i‘m still searching for a multiband comp for the master, still saw the lindell 354e for sale, but a comp2 with yoko band splitter and mc dsp compressors or softubes fet would be a nice thing, maybee therefore a rms comp iss the better thing?
As far as multiband compressor, the multiband in Ozone is top notch.. it's super easy UI and display is awesome.. and multi band Mid and Sides as well..!! put this on a full kit drum bus and you see what I mean..
Top notch sounds fine, but 200€ for Ozone Standard is antisocial expensive for a regular employees in this expensive wartimes. Now I just trialed HoRNets master tool (after 1.1.1 todays update stable in R12.5) and compared it with ozone 9 elements (has no multiband comp). In dynamic shaping for gritty signals master tool was the winner, ozone only brought up the loudness what results in a complete distorted output. I combined cockos reaxcomp-standalone wiith hornets master tool after it and now I´m impressed totally how good i can tame the dynamics of my electronic music, with millenias NSE2Q as last plug in the chain it feels like, now i´m capable in
SOUND DEMANGELING, how someone could name it like these :thumbs_up:

MasterTool 5,75€ (regular 23€) compared with 200€ for Ozone !? :geek:

Yeah i´m only a poor middleaged guy, living at smallest metropolis of this apple, where a big music fair used to take place :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

kuhliloach

04 Jan 2023

I love everything about Analog Obsession's SSQ unit. If I want one with compression baked in I've been using the Brainworx 4000 E emulation. This is in Logic so for the most crash free functional experience I need to avoid stuff that doesn't work. The Analog Obsession stuff wins on cost, reliability, and elegant installation.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jan 2023

Additional devs who I think would also be good to send this request to are Kuassa and Red Rock Sound.

Aside from having a fixed channel strip, have you seen Red Rock's ModularRE?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... processor/

Man, i like modulare so much, this thing got the juice!!! :) I know this could be achieved with other devices on combi's, but to be honest, Red Rock Sound did a great job with this one!

WarStar

04 Jan 2023

moalla wrote:
04 Jan 2023
WarStar wrote:
03 Jan 2023

Top notch sounds fine, but 200€ for Ozone Standard is antisocial expensive for a regular employees in this expensive wartimes. Now I just trialed HoRNets master tool (after 1.1.1 todays update stable in R12.5) and compared it with ozone 9 elements (has no multiband comp). In dynamic shaping for gritty signals master tool was the winner, ozone only brought up the loudness what results in a complete distorted output. I combined cockos reaxcomp-standalone wiith hornets master tool after it and now I´m impressed totally how good i can tame the dynamics of my electronic music, with millenias NSE2Q as last plug in the chain it feels like, now i´m capable in
SOUND DEMANGELING, how someone could name it like these :thumbs_up:

MasterTool 5,75€ (regular 23€) compared with 200€ for Ozone !? :geek:

Yeah i´m only a poor middleaged guy, living at smallest metropolis of this apple, where a big music fair used to take place :puf_wink:
I got Ozone on sale for $50.. but I'm with ya, I wouldn't have paid $200 for it.. not that it's not worth it more because I'm not rich lol

strangers
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

I use Softube's Console 1 with their various channel strips. Aside from having to load the VST onto every mix channel (would be great if there was a way to drop one time to all mix channels), it's a great workflow boost since I can handle all of my saturation, levels, EQ, compression, gating, etc in one place without having to look at the screen or fiddle with a mouse and tiny knobs on the screen. That's not to say I don't like using Reason's SSL from time to time. It's convenient and gets the job done.

MDTerps2015

06 Jan 2023

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jan 2023
visheshl wrote:
31 Dec 2022
Hey, would it be possible for you to make a nice channel strip RE with gain, level meter, eq, compressor, limiter and perhaps a lightweight reverb and delay already present as inserts ? (Perhaps have a little switch to see the level at input and at output of this channel strip.)
I mean that would be like really nice to have inside RRP man.
Of course there are alternative ways but like why not have it in the shop.
Lazy ppl like me would love to buy it.
Just drag drop this device in RRP and you're set.
Additional devs who I think would also be good to send this request to are Kuassa and Red Rock Sound.

Wouldnt that Scheps Waves plugin work the same way. You can move elements around like the Red Rock thingy. Has an excellent eq, compressor, and you can even add too it.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

joeyluck

06 Jan 2023

MDTerps2015 wrote:
06 Jan 2023
joeyluck wrote:
01 Jan 2023

Wouldnt that Scheps Waves plugin work the same way. You can move elements around like the Red Rock thingy. Has an excellent eq, compressor, and you can even add too it.
RRP can only load REs

visheshl

07 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Jan 2023
Hey i always wanted to have a vertical monitor for the rack. So i installed it. Now i need to mount it on the wall.(i had it in spare, used it to watch tv earlier)
Yay im so happy.
Got inspired by your pic.
Screenshot_2023-01-08-08-34-45-423_com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro.jpg
Screenshot_2023-01-08-08-34-45-423_com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro.jpg (421.96 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
It is so awesome to use reason rack this way.

moneykube

07 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
07 Jan 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Jan 2023
Hey i always wanted to have a vertical monitor for the rack. So i installed it. Now i need to mount it on the wall.(i had it in spare, used it to watch tv earlier)
Yay im so happy.

:lightbulb: Both of these setups make me want to get a 3rd vertical monitor. Very cool :thumbs_up: I am only using 2 horizontal monitors currently.
I take it there is a some way to turn the rack screen to this vertical look :shock: ... I will have to read the manual about this. :thumbup:
Last edited by moneykube on 07 Jan 2023, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

visheshl

07 Jan 2023

moneykube wrote:
07 Jan 2023
visheshl wrote:
07 Jan 2023

Yay im so happy.

:lightbulb: Both of these setups make me want to get a 3rd vertical monitor. Very cool :exclamation:
I take it there is a some way to make the rack screen vertical :shock: ... I will have to read the manual about this. :thumbup:
Well since you already have 2 monitors why not use one of them as a vertical monitor for the rack ? You just have to go into display settings and set the second monitor to portrait mode rather than the default landscape mode, thats it...

moneykube

07 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
07 Jan 2023
Well since you already have 2 monitors why not use one of them as a vertical monitor for the rack ? You just have to go into display settings and set the second monitor to portrait mode rather than the default landscape mode, thats it...
awesome... thank you for the info... this looks great. :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

crimsonwarlock

08 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
07 Jan 2023
Yay im so happy.

It is even more awesome when you use Reason DAW this way. Then the rack display automatically syncs with the selected track in the sequencer, and from the rack buttons on the mixer :puf_wink:
moneykube wrote:
07 Jan 2023
:lightbulb: Both of these setups make me want to get a 3rd vertical monitor. Very cool :thumbs_up:
Great that my picture inspired others to do this. It does look cool indeed, almost as having a real 19" rack in the studio. But it is an actual workflow enhancement, I can't go back to not having it this way :puf_smile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

08 Jan 2023

Yeah I loaded up reason standalone. It was really nice.
Im in the process of building a utility which allows me to map my controller properly.
If thats successful, then I'll probably relearn reason and probably start using standalone again.

crimsonwarlock

08 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
08 Jan 2023
My experience with Reason is that when you start to build a setup like this, that is tailored to how Reason integrated its parts, it really elevates to a level that no other DAW can do. This way the 'virtual studio' that is Reason, becomes a real studio experience. I never had that with any of the DAWs I've used over decades.
visheshl wrote:
08 Jan 2023
Im in the process of building a utility which allows me to map my controller properly.
That's one of the next steps for me as well. The Tascam control surface you see in my picture works partly out of the box with Reason. Only 16 of the 24 motorized faders are active because Reason only has remote setups for two eight-fader units. So, I have to script remote for that. The other thing is that the Tascam can switch the top 24 rotaries, which are normally panning for each channel, into a 24 encoder mixer strip controller for the selected channel, that can control a (almost) full mixer channel.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

visheshl

08 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Jan 2023
visheshl wrote:
08 Jan 2023
My experience with Reason is that when you start to build a setup like this, that is tailored to how Reason integrated its parts, it really elevates to a level that no other DAW can do. This way the 'virtual studio' that is Reason, becomes a real studio experience. I never had that with any of the DAWs I've used over decades.
visheshl wrote:
08 Jan 2023
That's one of the next steps for me as well. The Tascam control surface you see in my picture works partly out of the box with Reason. Only 16 of the 24 motorized faders are active because Reason only has remote setups for two eight-fader units. So, I have to script remote for that. The other thing is that the Tascam can switch the top 24 rotaries, which are normally panning for each channel, into a 24 encoder mixer strip controller for the selected channel, that can control a (almost) full mixer channel.
Reason desperately needs a gui utility for mapping controllers.
If such an expensive control surface is not working to it full potential, then perhaps RS should give us a utility to map the controller.

crimsonwarlock

08 Jan 2023

visheshl wrote:
08 Jan 2023
If such an expensive control surface is not working to it full potential, then perhaps RS should give us a utility to map the controller.
Actually, I don't like GUI tools for that. GUI tools for this kind of stuff are always limited in some way. And when they are not limited, it amounts to so many things crammed into a GUI that it becomes cumbersome to use. Some things are basically much easier to script than to do graphically. It is the main reason why graphical programming languages never took off (I actually used some of those, back in the day).

The simple fact that such a GUI tool has to support EVERYTHING, or it will miss the mark for many users, makes it typically something you don't want to cram into a GUI. Just my 2c on the subject.
-------

visheshl

08 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Jan 2023
visheshl wrote:
08 Jan 2023
Actually, I don't like GUI tools for that. GUI tools for this kind of stuff are always limited in some way. And when they are not limited, it amounts to so many things crammed into a GUI that it becomes cumbersome to use. Some things are basically much easier to script than to do graphically. It is the main reason why graphical programming languages never took off (I actually used some of those, back in the day).

The simple fact that such a GUI tool has to support EVERYTHING, or it will miss the mark for many users, makes it typically something you don't want to cram into a GUI. Just my 2c on the subject.
That is true...hence im rolling my own utility for my controller.
Will post it here when its done, in case someone else has similar mapping requirements.

• Information