Getting rid of double VSTs in the browser?

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

Some companies have installers which don't have an option for which plugin format to install. eg. Softube. They install VST2, VST2 and AAX and all the other stuff. No checkboxes. So now I've got double plugins showing up. VST2 and VST3 versions of the same thing. I tried deleting some .dlls in my VST folder but it doesn't work. Both still show up. Any ideas?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

19 Dec 2022

Disable the VST2 versions in the plugin list in Reason. They won't load the next time you start Reason.
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
Disable the VST2 versions in the plugin list in Reason. They won't load the next time you start Reason.
Awesome!!! Thanks man :)
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

19 Dec 2022

Just be aware that when you disable plugins, if you open a project that uses them, Reason will complain that they are missing.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

joeyluck wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
Just be aware that when you disable plugins, if you open a project that uses them, Reason will complain that they are missing.
Aaa. Good advice. Thanks.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Heater

19 Dec 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
LOL. I wish I'd thought of that :lol:

BeReasonable

19 Dec 2022

19 Dec 2022
Correct. They should have included a filter in the file browser for vst2 / vst3/ both. Instead now your only option is either seeing double VSTs all the time or breaking your old projects. Bad, bad design.

And this transition is poorly thought out- there is no quick way to update an existing VST2 unit to VST3 and retain the same settings. If you save a patch with VST2 then load up a VST3 version and try to load the patch to get the settings, reason will reload the VST2 instrument instead of prompting you if you want to use VST2 or VST3. Really poor way to handle this transition.

It's like they thought "OK we have vst3 now, we're done" instead of thinking "how is adding VST3 going to effect the users?".

Can't believe no one at propellerheads thought this through.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

BeReasonable wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
19 Dec 2022
Correct. They should have included a filter in the file browser for vst2 / vst3/ both. Instead now your only option is either seeing double VSTs all the time or breaking your old projects. Bad, bad design.

And this transition is poorly thought out- there is no quick way to update an existing VST2 unit to VST3 and retain the same settings. If you save a patch with VST2 then load up a VST3 version and try to load the patch to get the settings, reason will reload the VST2 instrument instead of prompting you if you want to use VST2 or VST3. Really poor way to handle this transition.

It's like they thought "OK we have vst3 now, we're done" instead of thinking "how is adding VST3 going to effect the users?".

New in Reason 13...we've added a filter in the file browser to make it even easier for you VST-Heads to manage your plugins.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

19 Dec 2022

Well they did mention in the livestream that they are looking at ways to improve the browser search and experience.

In the meantime, you could create fav lists if you want and you can search "VST3" in the browser.

BeReasonable

19 Dec 2022

MrFigg wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
19 Dec 2022

New in Reason 13...we've added a filter in the file browser to make it even easier for you VST-Heads to manage your plugins.
Reason 13? Very optimistic. I'd expect it would be 14.5 before that's implemented.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2022

19 Dec 2022
19 Dec 2022

Reason 13? Very optimistic. I'd expect it would be 14.5 before that's implemented.
No, no, no. Implemented R13. Debugged R14.5.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

BeReasonable

19 Dec 2022

19 Dec 2022
19 Dec 2022

No, no, no. Implemented R13. Debugged R14.5.
Reason 14.5 patch notes:

- fixed bug in VST version browser that would crash Reason and in rare circumstances delete all your songs

earwig83

19 Dec 2022

Everything RS does is like the monkey paw wish. It's really terrible how bad this company is at fully implementing any sort of feature.

earwig83

19 Dec 2022

19 Dec 2022
is this really true? Won't this kind of defeat the purpose of compatibility? Like now that means I have to worry about the day they decide to drop VST2 support. I was hoping, and under the impression that VST3 could just replace the VST2 instance. No?

joeyluck

19 Dec 2022

earwig83 wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
19 Dec 2022
is this really true? Won't this kind of defeat the purpose of compatibility? Like now that means I have to worry about the day they decide to drop VST2 support. I was hoping, and under the impression that VST3 could just replace the VST2 instance. No?
That is what disabling does via the Manage Plugins window. It's the same behavior that has been there since R9.5.

So for instance, I have some plugins that include mono/stereo versions. Instead of uninstalling some of them or removing them from the VST folder, I disabled them in Reason.

They did mention a discussion on the livestream about improvements to the browser being "on this list"

And 'smart browser' was initially on the roadmap and had to get pushed back. So I'm optimistic :)

earwig83

19 Dec 2022

19 Dec 2022
19 Dec 2022

That is what disabling does via the Manage Plugins window. It's the same behavior that has been there since R9.5.

So for instance, I have some plugins that include mono/stereo versions. Instead of uninstalling some of them or removing them from the VST folder, I disabled them in Reason.

They did mention a discussion on the livestream about improvements to the browser being "on this list"

And 'smart browser' was initially on the roadmap and had to get pushed back. So I'm optimistic :)
yeah a proper device tagging system at minimum is required.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Dec 2022

I am fine with double versions. At least Reason lets you see which is the vst2 and which is the vst3. Ableton just shows both of them on the result without any distinction. It does not bother me on Live either. Ctrl F is my friend in both Live and Reason.

MarkTarlton

19 Dec 2022

There should be a new way to hide plug ins within the browser while still keeping them functional for the case of older projects, and maybe have an option to view hidden plug ins.

huggermugger

19 Dec 2022

MarkTarlton wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
There should be a new way to hide plug ins within the browser while still keeping them functional for the case of older projects, and maybe have an option to view hidden plug ins.
Agreed. A simple right-click "hide device" function or something like that.

dvdrtldg

19 Dec 2022

19 Dec 2022
Everything RS does is like the monkey paw wish. It's really terrible how bad this company is at fully implementing any sort of feature.
Well the choice for them here is (1) roll out VST3 compatibility sooner, with improvements still to come, or (2) wait until everything's perfect, and roll out VST3 compatibility later. Either way, someone's going to whine

In the meantime I'm going to create a VST3 folder and a VST2 folder. Half an hour's work, done

earwig83

22 Dec 2022

dvdrtldg wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
19 Dec 2022
Well the choice for them here is (1) roll out VST3 compatibility sooner, with improvements still to come, or (2) wait until everything's perfect, and roll out VST3 compatibility later. Either way, someone's going to whine

In the meantime I'm going to create a VST3 folder and a VST2 folder. Half an hour's work, done
See, the way I see it is that they will be doomed to this scrutiny forever for being last to market on so many things now. Again that's why people have migrated and the platform is becoming a bit of a plugin toy. Their inability to address sequencer stuff is starting to get comical. Even me, I'm only committed due to sunk cost fallacy. Love reason, warts and all. I should mention it has been explained to me the reasons why the vst2 and vst3 versions can't have the same plugin ID and that it is both a security thing but also a steinberg API decision. So it def is what it is. That all said, I still think too many people on this forum defend RS's weak investment strategies. I feel they are significantly understaffed when it comes to tech. Their marketing is also bouncing between cool and completely tone def ever quarter or so. BUT they do seem to have righted a lot of previous mistakes in marketing and branding and even the webs design is better than it was going for a second. So there is still plenty to be happy about for me, no doubt.

As far as the "half-hour it would take you, I'm not interested in extra data entry and the only way things improve is by making the demands and/or making the suggestions. Heck that's why we have VST now, persistence in critique... but I digress. Happy holidays! :)

raymondh

22 Dec 2022

Other DAWs also show both VST2 and VST3 versions.
I like it that way, especially when I am collaborating (I use Windows and my collaborators use Mac) and from time to time there are compatibility issues so it's nice to have the option.

Heater

22 Dec 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
Ableton just shows both of them on the result without any distinction. .

I get separate lists on Ableton Live

crimsonwarlock

22 Dec 2022

I just tried this: when you type 'vst3' in the browser search, you get a list of all the available vst3 plugins. Strangely enough, this doesn't work for vst2, though.
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

PhillipOrdonez

22 Dec 2022

Heater wrote: ↑
22 Dec 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2022
Ableton just shows both of them on the result without any distinction. .

I get separate lists on Ableton Live
Yes, if you search for them manually. Ctrl F results will appear double without any distinction.

• Information