Soundpaint 2.0 with new Hyper Acoustic Legato (HAL) Technology

Discuss VST stuff here!
User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 10074
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Nov 2022


Soundpaint 2.0 features our new Hyper Acoustic Legato (H.A.L) Technology, which lets you play instruments with complete, unobstructed realism.

H.A.L is a seamless polyphonic legato technology. Play an instrument both as a solo and/or ensemble at the same time!

Soundpaint 2.0 also includes:

- Updated USI (User Sample Import) Tool. Supports Khz Rates

- New Virtual Keyboard lets you see what notes you are playing

- New Rack Legato Module (Controllers for our H.A.L engine)

- New Rack Story Module. Add text and pictures to programs

- New Sound Modes. Including Legato and Dynamic Sustains

Dynamic Sustains uses a new technology called Morph Shading, which renders 127 different sustains in real-time.- Full Protools (AAX) Support- Various bug fixes and optimizations

- Various bug fixes and optimization

Soundpaint 2.0 is a free update. Coming November 17th 2022.

User avatar
sonicbyte
Posts: 344
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Argentina

Post 15 Nov 2022

Amazing

User avatar
Biolumin3sc3nt
Posts: 655
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 15 Nov 2022

Wow! I'm impressed! Didn't even know this existed. Good lookin' out Joey.


MuttReason
Posts: 223
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 15 Nov 2022

I’m a sax player. Never yet heard a sampled horn that got close, until this. That’s pretty extraordinary. First time I’ve ever heard an emulated sax that honestly could pass for the real thing, solo, isolated in the mix. Wouldn’t be able to pull off an entire jazz ballad with a quartet (probably) but even then only other sax players would notice. Amazing.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2353
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 15 Nov 2022

MuttReason wrote:
15 Nov 2022
I’m a sax player. Never yet heard a sampled horn that got close, until this. That’s pretty extraordinary. First time I’ve ever heard an emulated sax that honestly could pass for the real thing, solo, isolated in the mix.
Does this also include the SWAM based instruments or did you not check them out, yet? I think they also sound really nice, but OK they are not sampled, so strictly speaking they are apples to oranges here.


MuttReason
Posts: 223
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 15 Nov 2022

jam-s wrote:
15 Nov 2022
MuttReason wrote:
15 Nov 2022
I’m a sax player. Never yet heard a sampled horn that got close, until this. That’s pretty extraordinary. First time I’ve ever heard an emulated sax that honestly could pass for the real thing, solo, isolated in the mix.
Does this also include the SWAM based instruments or did you not check them out, yet? I think they also sound really nice, but OK they are not sampled, so strictly speaking they are apples to oranges here.
SWAM doesn’t get close to this IMO. I’ve tried SWAM instruments and they sound good but they are not really getting the sound of a solo sax credibly. TBF the sax is *really* hard to emulate as there is such a wide variety of tones and nuances. This plugin is a whole other level. I say this as a 40+ year sax player, so I’m very picky…

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 10074
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Nov 2022

I own the SWAM Strings for desktop and I primarily use those. I have the rest on iPad, but I just don't use that as much. People who use the wind controllers make it sound very convincing.

With SWAM, it's all about having the proper controller. I just can't get the same performance from the SWAM Strings using as standard MIDI keyboard and faders/pedals as I can using my Roli Seaboard Block. It's just more natural for me. And I'm not sure how good Soundpaint 2.0 can be, but I can perform vibratos and I can bend between notes at any speed and expression and have it sound natural. Even though this HAL technology looks impressive, I'm not sure if it can do that. I mean he compares HAL to photorealism computer rendering, so maybe...?

I'm probably more interested to hear it used on vocals. Vocal libraries have come a long way, but those are still the most difficult to pull off and to still sound natural.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1833
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 16 Nov 2022

Soundpaint sounds interesting but do you really want to let HAL into your life?


User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 10074
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Nov 2022

OK so a small, but useful feature I think is cool with Soundpaint is the notification I received in the app when I "unlocked gems".

These are patches that combine elements from different libraries. I only had the 1928 piano installed. I already had the other freebies in Kontakt, so I hadn't installed them in Soundpaint. But then I was curious if they might offer more. And after I installed them, I got the notification that I unlocked special patches.

Wouldn't that feature be useful in Reason? At least with devices by the same dev. So if you had one RE from a dev and then got another one of their REs, Reason would download and point you to patches by that dev that combine those devices.

And for the record, the libraries by themselves do seem to offer more than the Kontakt versions.


Yonatan
Posts: 1522
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 17 Nov 2022

What a visionary. Great find. Thanks Joey for sharing. Been looking for something like this!

But it is no small downloads, so needs good room on ssd.

Yonatan
Posts: 1522
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 17 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
16 Nov 2022
And they will be releasing the sax tomorrow as well:

The most interesting one it seems. Choir and ”World” is also sections that is shown to be on its way as of their homepage. Brass and horns is what I am extra excited about with this technology.

Lov2sing
Posts: 264
Joined: 15 Nov 2015

Post 17 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
15 Nov 2022
I first learned about it a couple months ago because of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7529236
I saw this a couple of day’s ago and thought they take in account for breathing which is a hard thing to mimic. Can’t wait to hear the saxophone. I hope they do all woodwinds and brass instruments as well. So far what I heard is great. It would be nice if RS would add this approach to Mimic.
We make music for a reason

User avatar
Biolumin3sc3nt
Posts: 655
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 17 Nov 2022

Today is the day!

MuttReason
Posts: 223
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 17 Nov 2022

Wow. Pretty incredible. Wondering how this will sound if played with an EWI. I love my horns but they are very very loud (I’m generally a pretty loud player anyway, years of funk bands) and it’s really hard to get time to practice at night without annoying people. I’ve thought about getting an EWI or other MIDI wind controller and using one of the sax plugins but they never sound quite right and I get a bit frustrated after a while (plus the EWI embouchure is very different to a sax as is the key mechanism). But this could be a winner.

Meanwhile is it just me or is it also kind of strange to own a Prophet XL and then just use it as a bog standard MIDI controller? Keep thinking that every time I see these videos! Like using a Lamborghini on a newspaper round… does the job but, um, that’s not all it does…

ltbrunt00
Posts: 514
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 17 Nov 2022

Thanks for showing me this I thought I was going to be good and not buy anything else. I love my SWAM Sax which can sound very good. You do have to do a bunch of work if you don't have the proper hardware which I don't. This sounds like they cracked the code for sample libraries legato and realism. I will likely get this. This seems like instant gratification. If it works as well as it is shown in the demo I will likely be using this going forward. On a side note visited their page, downloaded the free player engine and brought a few other products that look interesting.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 10074
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Nov 2022

MuttReason wrote:
17 Nov 2022
Wow. Pretty incredible. Wondering how this will sound if played with an EWI. I love my horns but they are very very loud (I’m generally a pretty loud player anyway, years of funk bands) and it’s really hard to get time to practice at night without annoying people. I’ve thought about getting an EWI or other MIDI wind controller and using one of the sax plugins but they never sound quite right and I get a bit frustrated after a while (plus the EWI embouchure is very different to a sax as is the key mechanism). But this could be a winner.

Meanwhile is it just me or is it also kind of strange to own a Prophet XL and then just use it as a bog standard MIDI controller? Keep thinking that every time I see these videos! Like using a Lamborghini on a newspaper round… does the job but, um, that’s not all it does…
My guess is you'd have a better experience using the EWI with SWAM, which is what it really excels at, emulating so much more. This while it is innovative, might be the better option for those who are primarily using standard keyboards and specifically want to play it like a standard keyboard without extra controls, expression, etc.

As I mentioned, I use SWAM strings with my Roli Seaboard, and nothing comes close to the realism and experience of playing it. It's intuitive with a controller like that. But I also own the Tina Guo Kontakt libraries, which are easier for me to play when using a standard keyboard.

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 939
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 18 Nov 2022

MuttReason wrote:
17 Nov 2022
the EWI embouchure is very different to a sax as is the key mechanism.
See if you can find a Yamaha WX5, it's a MIDI-sax. I have one, but mine is definitely not for sale :puf_bigsmile:

wx5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----
The smart thing to do is using a DAW because of what the DAW does, not because of what the company behind the DAW does.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2353
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 18 Nov 2022


User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 10074
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Nov 2022

Some H.A.L. instruments are available now.

1980 Tenor Sax Spectralius
$30
https://soundpaint.com/products/tenor-s ... 1529530539
15.4 GB

1987 Alto Flute Savana
$20
https://soundpaint.com/products/alto-fl ... 7851791531
23.3 GB

The size difference between modeled instruments and sampled is even greater when adding this level of detail. For instance, SWAM saxes are 80MB per plugin.

I'm hoping they offer some instrument for free to try out or a slimmed down version with like an octave or two to get an idea.

The prices are great! But I may have to just wait for something that I really feel I need before I surrender that much disk space. I did recently get a 2TB external SSD for libraries, but it would fill up very quickly with several of these...

MuttReason
Posts: 223
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 19 Nov 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Nov 2022
MuttReason wrote:
17 Nov 2022
the EWI embouchure is very different to a sax as is the key mechanism.
See if you can find a Yamaha WX5, it's a MIDI-sax. I have one, but mine is definitely not for sale :puf_bigsmile:

wx5.jpg
I used to have the original version of the WX when it first came out about 30 years ago. It was great (as was the VL70m module I used with it) and I used it live with two of the bands I was in for a few years. Must have done well over 300 gigs with it. I ended up selling it and the VL70m (for reasons I can’t remember but probably because I was broke) and regret doing so ever since. That said, part of me always says if Michael Brecker, Bob Berg and others could make the EWI sing then it’s worth a go!

MuttReason
Posts: 223
Joined: 28 Jan 2021

Post 19 Nov 2022

jam-s wrote:
18 Nov 2022
Roland also has a selection of wind controllers.
I’ve tried the top end pro model they make. For some reason it didn’t quite work for me as a playing experience. It felt quite awkward in my hands. The Yamaha WX (which I used to own when it was first launched) felt much better. The EWI works in a completely different way to a sax (touch keys etc) but whenever I’ve used one I’ve found it to be surprisingly expressive. It is just a different instrument to a sax or any other instrument with mechanical keys, and in a way you need to learn it as if it’s a new instrument that just happens to have sax fingering.

It also somehow feels right in the hands in a way that the Roland models don’t. Not sure why, these things are quite subjective IME.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2353
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 19 Nov 2022

MuttReason wrote:
19 Nov 2022
jam-s wrote:
18 Nov 2022
Roland also has a selection of wind controllers.
I’ve tried the top end pro model they make. For some reason it didn’t quite work for me as a playing experience. It felt quite awkward in my hands. The Yamaha WX (which I used to own when it was first launched) felt much better. The EWI works in a completely different way to a sax (touch keys etc) but whenever I’ve used one I’ve found it to be surprisingly expressive. It is just a different instrument to a sax or any other instrument with mechanical keys, and in a way you need to learn it as if it’s a new instrument that just happens to have sax fingering.

It also somehow feels right in the hands in a way that the Roland models don’t. Not sure why, these things are quite subjective IME.
I suppose you really have to try what kind of controller works best for you. Same as with what kind of piano keybeds you prefer. So checking things out at a local music store would be the best way.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests