Playback issues with Ozone Elements 9

Discuss VST stuff here!
willyvans

13 Nov 2022

Hi Reason users, first post here.

I’m hoping to troubleshoot an issue I’m having with a recent computer upgrade and Ozone Elements 9. I’m running Reason 11 Suite and I recently upgraded from and old 2012 MBPro (16GB RAM, 2TB SSD) to a 2019 MBPro (Monterrey, 64GB RAM, 8 core - i9, 2TB SSD). A pretty substantial upgrade. I use Ozone Elements on my master chain in pretty much every project and upon opening files on the new Mac, I keep getting a glitch or intermittent “pausing” on playback. When I started troubleshooting, I noticed that the issue resolved when I disengaged OZE 9 plug-in. I never had this problem on my 2012 MBP unless the project got super VST heavy. This was expected due to the outdated CPU but very disappointing with my 2019 MBP. I’ve tried unchecking different settings in preferences and also tried increasing the buffer size, which actually made the “pausing” more frequent. Any insight into what may be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reason 11 Suite - 2019 MacBook Pro (Monterrey), 8-core i9, 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD

willyvans

13 Nov 2022

Problem solved: It looks like it was a combination of Ozone Elements 9 needing an update and also turning off “Use hyper-threading audio rendering” in preferences. I had tried this previously before updating the plug-in, which didn’t seem to fix the issue. After the VST update I also had to turn the VST Off and then back On when I opened an old project which contained Ozone. All seems to be running smoothly so far. Fingers crossed!

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2022

Yeah sometimes you'll probably still need to bump up the buffer for heavy plugins, I find it's best to try and leave them until most of the writing is pretty much done, so the latency isn't that big of a deal.

If I have an IK tape plugin + Ozone etc, it's pretty much a given I'll have to bump up the buffer.
Last edited by Steedus on 13 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.

willyvans

13 Nov 2022

Steedus wrote:
13 Nov 2022
Yeah sometimes you'll probably still need to bump up the buffer for heavy plugins, I find it's best to try and leave them until most of the writing is pretty much done, so the latency it's that big of a deal.

If I have an IK tape plugin + Ozone etc, it's pretty much a given I'll have to bump up the buffer.
Ok, thx for the reply! I’ll keep that in mind. Cheers

• Information