Zebra Legacy coming Nov 15 and Zebra3 is getting closer

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

03 Nov 2022

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582019

On November 15, Zebra Legacy will be launched. It will be a single purchase for €99 that will include Zebra2 and all of its soundsets, including Dark Zebra. This is so they can maintain Zebra Legacy alongside Zebra3. And because Zebra3 won't be compatible with other Zebra patches, it's important to keep it alive.
  • If you own Zebra2, you will get Zebra Legacy for free.
  • If you own Zebra2 (prior to Nov 15), you will be able to upgrade to Zebra3 for €30.
  • If you own Zebra2 + Dark Zebra (prior to Nov 15) you will get Zebra3 for free.
  • If you purchase Zebra Legacy after Nov 15, you will not have an upgrade path to Zebra3.
  • A release of the free Zebralette3 will come before Zebra3, possibly in the near future.
I think the €99 is worth it just for Dark Zebra. That's the price of just Dark Zebra by itself today. It is an incredible sound design accomplishment and a piece of synth/film history—owning the synth and its presets created by Howard Scarr and Hans Zimmer for the Dark Knight series.

I guess if you're not yet a Zebra owner and you are entertaining the idea of getting it, there's some things to consider in this timeline, if you want an upgrade path to Zebra3.

I'm excited for Zebra3. I own Zebra2 + Dark Zebra/ZebraHZ, so I'll get the upgrade for free (a pledge they made to the community a very long time ago, along with the €30 upgrade for Zebra2 owners). But whatever Zebra3 delivers, that won't take away from what Zebra2/Dark Zebra offer.

jam-s

03 Nov 2022

I'm still a bit salty that they never fixed the bugs in their REs, so I'll most likely not give them any money.

shropshirelad

03 Nov 2022

Wanted it for a long time and took the plunge today - it's a great deal considering the inclusion of Dark Zebra and all the sound sets. Thomann have it for $155 for all you lucky USA bods who don't have to pay the tax - the best I found was $179 at Audio Deluxe with $8 back in deluxe bucks.

joeyluck

03 Nov 2022

shropshirelad wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Wanted it for a long time and took the plunge today - it's a great deal considering the inclusion of Dark Zebra and all the sound sets. Thomann have it for $155 for all you lucky USA bods who don't have to pay the tax - the best I found was $179 at Audio Deluxe with $8 back in deluxe bucks.
And you can get $50 off with the dinosaur crossgrade https://u-he.com/products/zebra2/zebra2-crossgrade.html

They seem to be pretty lenient with what synths that consider :)

So by buying today were you looking to take advantage later of the $30 upgrade to Zebra3?

EdGrip

03 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
03 Nov 2022
I think the €99 is worth it just for Dark Zebra. That's the price of just Dark Zebra by itself today. It is an incredible sound design accomplishment and a piece of synth/film history—owning the synth and its presets created by Howards Scarr and Hans Zimmer for the Dark Knight series.
Yeah, it's interesting, I think we were talking about this the other day re. FM8. Unlike hardware, if a soft synth has had a big influence on a particular genre or area of music, all it takes is a developer disappearing or no longer supporting that code, and eventually it'll be very difficult to use, if not impossible.
A culturally significant musical instrument just... gone.

Hopefully there will be some nerds maintaining offline, frozen computers for these things to live on for as long as possible.

As far as U-he's REs - I would gently suggest it's time to let it go.

joeyluck

15 Nov 2022

Zebra Legacy has arrived!

It includes all of these sound sets:

If you're a Zebra2 owner, this is a free update. If not, it's free to download and run in demo mode to check out. The demo version just makes noise every now and then.

https://u-he.com/products/zebra2/

Ayrelok

17 Nov 2022

The added comps and fliters (From Diva) on the Dark version are really nice. Glad I got it all free.

miscend

17 Nov 2022

Does drag and drop to add new presets work in the Windows version of Reason? It didn't work for me with Win11 and Reason 11.

Ayrelok

17 Nov 2022

Sadly I don't know. I did it via Studio One.

• Information