Soundtoys - Little Radiator (free until Jan 2nd)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Popey
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2022

As per the title Soundtoys are giving away a copy of Little Radiator. Just use the discount code : HOLIDAYHEAT

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/little-radiator/

Enjoy :)

boggg1

02 Nov 2022

Love this thing, transmogrifies my vocals.
And everyone needs a bit of transmogrification occasionally.
I think it's better than the bigger version.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2022

boggg1 wrote:
02 Nov 2022
Cool 👍 I have a few soundtoys fx but did not own little radiator. Looking forward to trying it out (installing now)

Friend messaged me about it so thought I would give the heads up to other good rt folk.

moalla

02 Nov 2022

A free powered little radiator would be really perfect in this time, to be not bankrupt

Otherwise, i like little alter boy and crystalizer, I take it like SieQ before
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

bxbrkrz

02 Nov 2022

Thanks!
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

kuhliloach

02 Nov 2022

Since this infests the computer with iLok and ProTools garbage I will be avoiding.

Ayrelok

02 Nov 2022

I had a really weird thing happen with them a month or so ago. My complete copy of soundtoys 5 disappeared from my account.

I got in contact and it took ages to get it sorted. Had to send serials and emails of proof etc.

So if you do get anything from them. Hang onto the emails as they don't seem to keep a record themselves.

integerpoet

02 Nov 2022

kuhliloach wrote:
02 Nov 2022
Since this infests the computer with iLok and ProTools garbage I will be avoiding.
Thanks for the warning about iLok. I don't know what "ProTools garbage" means in this particular case, but…

It did just strike me that one motive for developers to give away a plug-in of some value might be simply to get their installer and/or copy protection infrastructure onto systems which otherwise wouldn't have it, and then the barriers for making sales of other plug-ins are fewer and lower.

People otherwise seem to love Soundtoys and I am not heaping scorn on them here.

joeyluck

02 Nov 2022

integerpoet wrote:
02 Nov 2022
kuhliloach wrote:
02 Nov 2022
Thanks for the warning about iLok. I don't know what "ProTools garbage" means in this particular case, but…

It did just strike me that one motive for developers to give away a plug-in of some value might be simply to get their installer and/or copy protection infrastructure onto systems which otherwise wouldn't have it, and then the barriers for making sales of other plug-ins are fewer and lower.

People otherwise seem to love Soundtoys and I am not heaping scorn on them here.
No additional installer. They give you the download directly to the product at checkout. And not sure what "ProTools garbage" means. If you mean the AAX, you just choose not to install that. It just uses iLok for authentication, which I've never had an issue with.

integerpoet

02 Nov 2022

joeyluck wrote:
02 Nov 2022
integerpoet wrote:
02 Nov 2022
It just uses iLok for authentication, which I've never had an issue with.
I don't think I've ever had a problem with iLok either (though I am not sure I have it installed at the moment). Some people really hate iLok, but that wasn't my point either.

I was just prompted to muse aloud on one more thing that could motivate a plug-in developer to give away something of value. In other words, it may not always be solely an attempt to create good will for the brand.

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2022

Never had an issue, though I'm an amateur working on a single machine. Probably not stress testing the limits of it lol.

Little Radiator is worth picking up. I too like it more than it's bigger brother.

Take note of the noise switch though. At the time of creation I was liking the idea of adding subtle noise to things, but months later when it came time to mix and master etc, when I got to the end of tracks I'd be going crazy thinking my system had unwanted noise in it somewhere ... turns out it was a bunch of Radiators haha. Had to switch of the noise and re-bounce.

NMHindman

02 Nov 2022

boggg1 wrote:
02 Nov 2022
Was just going to comment the same. I always try both, and end up using Little Radiator.

NMHindman

02 Nov 2022

There's a Little Radiator combi here, which lets you trim the output: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7525681

joeyluck

02 Nov 2022

integerpoet wrote:
02 Nov 2022
joeyluck wrote:
02 Nov 2022

It just uses iLok for authentication, which I've never had an issue with.
I don't think I've ever had a problem with iLok either (though I am not sure I have it installed at the moment). Some people really hate iLok, but that wasn't my point either.

I was just prompted to muse aloud on one more thing that could motivate a plug-in developer to give away something of value. In other words, it may not always be solely an attempt to create good will for the brand.
I didn't like iLok back when it was USB dongle only. Now that there is computer authorization, it's fine. Most software now allows computer authorization. McDSP plugins require dongle or cloud, which sucks, but I haven't had any issues with the cloud.

EdGrip

03 Nov 2022

McDSP! There's a name I haven't heard for a while.

iLok is no worse than the Codemeter authorisation that Reason uses. The only irritation is it wants you to login when you register a new plugin. But you're all keeping your login details in a password manager by now, right?

Ayrelok

03 Nov 2022

UVI also uses ilok but it's no hassle. Like mentioned above you just activate new plugins to your PC and that's it. When I got my new PC at the end of last year I just selected all on the ilok app and deactived all things registered and then activated on my new PC.

Was actually one of the things I pointed out to soundtoys. My soundtoys 5 collection had vanished on their site but it was all fine and dandy on ilok. Fully registered.

McDSP at the time I wanted to try them out was physical ilok only. Same with Kush Audio. I think Kush saw the limits to that and probably will let you use your PC now to register.

integerpoet

03 Nov 2022

EdGrip wrote:
03 Nov 2022
But you're all keeping your login details in a password manager by now, right?
That may actually be true for a majority on this forum. In general, though, far fewer people who need a password manager use one. They don't — can't — understand the problem well enough to generalize about it or grasp its breadth. And if you ask them to take your word for it then all they hear is that you're trying to get them involved in another password, and they — correctly — hate passwords. It's a weird contradiction that I find difficult — and depressing — to hold in my head. This is why I hope passkeys take over ASAP.

dvdrtldg

08 Nov 2022

NMHindman wrote:
02 Nov 2022
boggg1 wrote:
02 Nov 2022
Was just going to comment the same. I always try both, and end up using Little Radiator.
Why? Handier to use, or actually sounds better?

Jackjackdaw

08 Nov 2022

I always appreciate the heads up on here , thanks.

NMHindman

08 Nov 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
08 Nov 2022
NMHindman wrote:
02 Nov 2022

Why? Handier to use, or actually sounds better?
I guess 'better' is subjective; but I'm always more pleased with the sound that comes out of the Little. Ah, Radiator is also a bit CPU-hungry.

boggg1

09 Nov 2022

Better is certainly subjective and highly dependent on music genre and the aim of the song. Some people like pops and farts and growls and screeches. Others like random unpredictable changes and still more like electronically designed sequences and tones. And most music nowadays seems to need modulation of some sort (LFO / CV etc), falling apart without it. Massive effort spent on designing single drum tones seems to be normal.

Hmmmm. Each to his/her own, no criticism intended, they will sell more than me. It's just not my bag.

I like more melodic music with its roots in the blues. Harmony (including chord construction) and tone is everything in my music. Better in my case = sounds better, achieves its emotional aim better. I would put a Little Radiator on a vocal before I put compression, reverb or echo (or even equalisation). I might also try a Kazrog True Iron and maybe one of the Kush Omega's or the Black Rooster VPRE-73 or the SKP FAT50 or any one of the others that takes my fancy at the time. I'll switch them until one of them says "STOP, I'm your man for this job". Luckily (on sale) such plugins are cheaper than synths or libraries so my GAS is more constrained than those poor souls you see in the gutter clinging on to their licence codes, muttering "The wife has run off with my best friend, my house is re-posessed but I have the ultimate modulation engine and five, yes five oscillators".

Then again, I have no music qualifications or any provable expertise except comments from those who hear me perform. I don't take myself too seriously but re-reading what I have written above it seems I'm suggesting these are "secret sauce" plugins. Call it what you will, I can hear what I can hear and Little Radiator is the best (most often used) as far as I am concerned, for my genres.

You can help me with one thing. When someone comes up to you after a performance and tells you your harmony makes them cry, is that a good thing ? :D
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refillpacker: :rt:

• Information