D16 Phoscyon 2

Discuss VST stuff here!
fullforce

24 Aug 2022

Yeah, shut up and take my money! As the license holder of Phoscyon one, there's probably a nice discount. Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on this thing.
301192127_10163955488654815_2566743869680866456_n.jpg
301192127_10163955488654815_2566743869680866456_n.jpg (204.55 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Loque

24 Aug 2022

Didnt tried Phoscyon yet, but sounds a bit thin on the resonance and the accent. I mean,not bad at all, but its not there if you know what i mean.
Reason12, Win10

danc

24 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
24 Aug 2022
Didnt tried Phoscyon yet, but sounds a bit thin on the resonance and the accent. I mean,not bad at all, but its not there if you know what i mean.
Hopefully that's the point of version 2. Make it PHAT!
Check my Soundcloud:

fullforce

24 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
24 Aug 2022
So you know this how, if you haven't tried it?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

24 Aug 2022

danc wrote:
24 Aug 2022
Loque wrote:
24 Aug 2022
Hopefully that's the point of version 2. Make it PHAT!
That new pattern sequencer is the shit.

Loque

24 Aug 2022

fullforce wrote:
24 Aug 2022
Loque wrote:
24 Aug 2022
So you know this how, if you haven't tried it?
I know what i hear, yes. :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

24 Aug 2022

I've always much preferred ABL3 over Phoscyon in terms of sound and features. And ABL3 just sounds closest to a real 303 of all the emulations out there.

That said, I am still interested to try this out! :)

EdGrip

29 Aug 2022

Do your trying here: https://d16.pl/phoscyon2

I don't know how it compares with ABL3, but the sound engine is all new and the interface is very comprehensive.

If you have other D16 stuff you'll have a crossgrade voucher - mine makes it €69.

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2022

EdGrip wrote:
29 Aug 2022
Do your trying here: https://d16.pl/phoscyon2

I don't know how it compares with ABL3, but the sound engine is all new and the interface is very comprehensive.

If you have other D16 stuff you'll have a crossgrade voucher - mine makes it €69.
I really like it and been waiting for its release. Nice distortion on it and easier for me to access the midi than with Abl3 rack extension in rrp. Really impressed with sound.

I like how their are also different emulations under the not so hidden flap, they all have a different character.

Neo

29 Aug 2022

This 0ld Raver will end up getting it lol... Export function working ok in Reason?
:puf_smile:
Last edited by Neo on 29 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2022

I like this vid just cause he mentions rebirth 😊

klasson

29 Aug 2022

Been playing around with it for a short time this morning and I'm probably gonna pick it up. Usually, I don't jump on new stuff on 1st day of release but this gave me such big Rebirth vibes I just need this in my arsenal :)

@Neo, just tried the export function and Midi was no problem dragging and dropping into the Reason sequencer.

Neo

29 Aug 2022

klasson wrote:
29 Aug 2022
Been playing around with it for a short time this morning and I'm probably gonna pick it up. Usually, I don't jump on new stuff on 1st day of release but this gave me such big Rebirth vibes I just need this in my arsenal :)

@Neo, just tried the export function and Midi was no problem dragging and dropping into the Reason sequencer.
Cheers K.. same^
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

fullforce

29 Aug 2022

Well, I got it for 29 euros because I own a bunch of D16 plugins already, so that's a total no-brainer, and it's fantastic.

joeyluck

29 Aug 2022

Yeah I just saw that it is on sale for $89 which is $20 more than the regular price of v1. So it's a pass from me.

Propellerhands

29 Aug 2022

Few days ago tried Phoscyon and did not like the interface at all. Sounded good though. Tried ABL3, a bit better but interface again, not very friendly so uninstalled both.

After 15 minutes of trial of Phoscyon 2 decided to buy it because what the heck. Only 69 euros lol, because already had Lush-101 (which just sits there not being used).

It has it's own quirks though, especially in GUI, same as Lush-101, but kinda of usable and sounds ok to me. Never been acid techno music fan so will use it for other purposes. I hope I won't get bored like with Lush.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

mimidancer

29 Aug 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
29 Aug 2022
Few days ago tried Phoscyon and did not like the interface at all. Sounded good though. Tried ABL3, a bit better but interface again, not very friendly so uninstalled both.

After 15 minutes of trial of Phoscyon 2 decided to buy it because what the heck. Only 69 euros lol, because already had Lush-101 (which just sits there not being used).

It has it's own quirks though, especially in GUI, same as Lush-101, but kinda of usable and sounds ok to me. Never been acid techno music fan so will use it for other purposes. I hope I won't get bored like with Lush.
I miss rebirth. It is better than the 303 on the roland cloud.

Propellerhands

30 Aug 2022

After more time with it (3 hours overall) I can say it is the only TB-303 clone that one may need in his music productions. Finally my prayers been answered and we have something user friendly, nice interface and pretty quick to use. Just draw notes with a mouse, not this retro bs like was in first version of Phoscyon and other plugins.

I am pretty sure it was D16 who just decided to finally listen to their userbase, not a small minority purists who think if it has usable sequencer then it is a no-buy for them. Cudos to developers.

Still though, have to mention it again, it has its tiny quirks but nothing too irritating to put off from making your own sequences. Oh someone on KVR mentioned, they should re-name it. How does one even pronounce its name? I always call it "Physion" in my head lol.

P.S. I haven't been around in music scene when Rebirth was a thing. Maybe tried it once, during my initial years, can't remember.

Edit: oh look what I found! That's how you make this badass sound closer or better than ABL3 :puf_bigsmile: because people was complaining it lacks bass for them. Neat!
Attachments
ggege.jpg
ggege.jpg (201.96 KiB) Viewed 2809 times

RandomNoise

02 Sep 2022

Uploaded a few videos of it on my channel including a sound comparison with ABL3 and Roland Cloud TB303 if anyone interested to check out :D

All the included presets, no talking:

Overview and acid techno jam:

Roland Cloud TB303 vs Audio Realism ABL 3 vs D16 Phoscyon 2 - sound comparison

Loque

02 Sep 2022

RandomNoise wrote:
02 Sep 2022
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I must say that i like the sound and especially the filter resposne from Roland very much and reminds me the most to the original 303. ABL3 has much more low end and comes very close to the original sound. But Phoscyon is quite far away from the original at some points.

Guess in the end its a matter of taste and i rarly used a 303 on its own without further processing. I normally have an analog filter, distortions and EQs all over it. And last time i tried a 303 i also added a transient shaper to have a much smoother sound - excellent stuff :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2022

Thanks for posting the vids 👍 quite obvious differences between phoscyon 2 and Abl3 and can see them complimenting each other.

joeyluck

02 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
30 Aug 2022
Oh someone on KVR mentioned, they should re-name it. How does one even pronounce its name? I always call it "Physion" in my head lol.
Funny, when I search for it, I type "Phosycon" (with the y before the c) pronouncing it "fa-si-con" lol. That's how I've always seen it in my head.
RandomNoise wrote:
02 Sep 2022
Uploaded a few videos of it on my channel including a sound comparison with ABL3 and Roland Cloud TB303 if anyone interested to check out :D
Roland Cloud TB303 vs Audio Realism ABL 3 vs D16 Phoscyon 2 - sound comparison
https://youtu.be/Ym71ui83Y6M
I haven't watched the whole video yet and only jumped around, but I certainly prefer the sound and randomizer of ABL3.

That said, and I know for the first comparisons at the top you mentioned that you have none of the effects applied, but I'm interested in some of the other settings. You may have mentioned these things, but like I said, I was jumping around...

For instance, ABL3 VST has some additional settings under setup, such as VCO Model and Bass Boost. I use the RE most often, so not sure about these initial settings on the VST.

Also, while I find I don't prefer the sound of Phoscyon, I think if it is clipping on the DAW channel, that should be resolved before making a comparison. I mean, the devs should certainly make sure that it doesn't clip, particularly with initialized settings and simply opening the filter with no resonance or distortion applied. Is that the initial volume setting for the Phoscyon?

Loque

02 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2022
For instance, ABL3 VST has some additional settings under setup, such as VCO Model and Bass Boost. I use the RE most often, so not sure about these initial settings on the VST.
Yea, that was my thinking too, that there might be some room for adjustments, maybe for all 3 of them...I think the most important things for a 303 is the filter, the envelopes and the adding of envelopes with multiple nodes, the accent and amplifying and finally general main waveform, which has a huge impact ont he overall sound. And this waveform may change through the circuits in a real 303.

I am still amazed, that the sound of the 303 is so unique and can be listened to for hours. Not many synths could achieve this. The overall interaction of the components were just unique and great. Still love the sound.
Reason12, Win10

Propellerhands

02 Sep 2022

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2022

Not directed at me but will chip in:

Physion has some presets, as I mentioned above (see attached picture) which sort of can boost bass, but I am not sure 100%, my headphones are pretty flat anyway.
joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2022

Also, while I find I don't prefer the sound of Phoscyon, I think if it is clipping on the DAW channel, that should be resolved before making a comparison. I mean, the devs should certainly make sure that it doesn't clip, particularly with initialized settings and simply opening the filter with no resonance or distortion applied. Is that the initial volume setting for the Phoscyon?
It really does clip on zero resonance and maximum cutoff

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2022

I am still amazed, that the sound of the 303 is so unique and can be listened to for hours. Not many synths could achieve this. The overall interaction of the components were just unique and great. Still love the sound.
I was never a fan of acid music (hate-love relationship) but I got seriously interested in this kind of sound for usage in other genres and for many years consciously (or not) tried to mimic with stock plugins in Reason. Came close, but only in terms of patterns rather than filters and overall feeling. Was kinda skeptical and was sure that it can be reproduced with any other synth. Yet I couldn't really. So now I feel like a child during christmas who got his first Transformer toy. So many posibilities have opened up.

joeyluck

02 Sep 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
02 Sep 2022
joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2022

It really does clip on zero resonance and maximum cutoff
Yeah that's what I gathered and it shouldn't clip with those settings and the initial state of the volume (the dev should fix if that is the case). I was asking if that is the initial volume setting...

And then the other point I was making was that for a good comparison, the master volume should be set so that it doesn't clip the channel. And aside from avoiding clipping, the output levels should be matched to make a good comparison.

• Information