Softube Tape Echoes

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2022

While ago Softube gave away their Dirty Tape VST for free. Now their Tape Echoes plugin can be had as an upgrade fir $15 with code TAPEECHOESFOR15. I’ve got loads of delays and loads of tape saturation plugins. Anybody got anything to say about this plugin?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Overtherainbow

13 Aug 2022

There's no UI scaling of Softube VSTs in Reason 12. For this reason - hard pass.

But all their stuff is top quality and not as heavy on the CPU/RAM as, say, the Pulsar stuff, Arturia or any other of their competitors, which are not even superior emulations.

The general consensus is that there is only one developer who has superior emulation quality - Acustica Audio, but their stuff is so heavy on the hardware, it's basically only usable at the mastering stage.

The usability puts Softube firmly on first place, hence their price tag. Even if their older RE stuff would go on sale - that's where my reward points would go immediately - the dynamite, FET and yes, don't laugh - the big blue thing too. But I have reward points to spare - players and the vocoder were never enticing to me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2022

Overtherainbow wrote:
13 Aug 2022
There's no UI scaling of Softube VSTs in Reason 12. For this reason - hard pass.

But all their stuff is top quality and not as heavy on the CPU/RAM as, say, the Pulsar stuff, Arturia or any other of their competitors, which are not even superior emulations.

The general consensus is that there is only one developer who has superior emulation quality - Acustica Audio, but their stuff is so heavy on the hardware, it's basically only usable at the mastering stage.

The usability puts Softube firmly on first place, hence their price tag. Even if their older RE stuff would go on sale - that's where my reward points would go immediately - the dynamite, FET and yes, don't laugh - the big blue thing too. But I have reward points to spare - players and the vocoder were never enticing to me.
Aa. Thanks. That’s said REs didn’t have scaling until the zoom in 12. Have you tried it and would you say it gives more than other delays/ tape plugins? Other than the low CPU hit I mean.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Overtherainbow

13 Aug 2022

I cannot try it because I have a 4k display, which makes anything on the UI illegible and I'm not going to change everything up to accommodate a plugin I paid for. This guy here says it's hard to see even on a 2k screen and it's not scalable, so apparently not just a Reason problem:

I have considered it before, though. Judging by the demos, it sounds simply amazing, looks great (which is important) and is surely more capable than any of the three RE's in terms of classic-sounding delay - Ekss's TapeEcho, Reason Echo and RV7000 - because of the number of options and the resolution of some that are duplicated from them, but not all three combined. Together the three give you a much broader arsenal. And if we were to bring up non-classic sounding delay features, Reason Echo and RV7000 are absolutely crazy and are heads and shoulders above the Softube vst.

It would be interesting to me if I'd be reproducing vintage sound, but I'm not.

That's just what I think and we all get our kicks from different things. This may be exactly what you need or just cheap dopamine to you - then by all means, you should get it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2022

It’s cheap dopamine. Need to kick the habit. Thanks for reminding me.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

13 Aug 2022

Does it offer something more compared to than i just add a little bit saturation on The Echo or add some dirty plugin in the feedback loop or output? I mean, what is tape? Compression, saturation, EQ? Add it and you are fine.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2022
Does it offer something more compared to than i just add a little bit saturation on The Echo or add some dirty plugin in the feedback loop or output? I mean, what is tape? Compression, saturation, EQ? Add it and you are fine.
I downloaded and installed the Dirty Tape plugin I got free and coupled that with a Space Reverb. Sounded great. All good. $15 in the Figgsters pocket :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

13 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
13 Aug 2022
Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2022
I downloaded and installed the Dirty Tape plugin I got free and coupled that with a Space Reverb. Sounded great. All good. $15 in the Figgsters pocket :)
Guess, that is the point. There is nothing new, just different and do you really need or hear that? Nope, just add an EQ somewhere and it sounds totally different and you are done. For aynthing more, just ad any other FX.
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

13 Aug 2022

Overtherainbow wrote:
13 Aug 2022
Not to be downer, but usually when an RE goes on sale it also is automatically removed from the rewards store. That Chord Player thing from RS was the first nice and surprising exception from that rule.

Overtherainbow

13 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
13 Aug 2022
Not to be downer, but usually when an RE goes on sale it also is automatically removed from the rewards store. That Chord Player thing from RS was the first nice and surprising exception from that rule.
Not the first, and not even the second - remember the bundles? Also, Jamespember once stated that having discounted items in the Rewards Store, among other improvements, was "the dream". So I'm not giving up hope - we might get there.

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2022

:redface: Couldn’t resist. Thanks for the code.

It’s not always true but more often than not a new piece of gear (or plugin) can inspire new music from me which - if the price is right - to me makes it worthwhile.

jam-s

13 Aug 2022

Overtherainbow wrote:
13 Aug 2022
Not the first, and not even the second - remember the bundles? Also, Jamespember once stated that having discounted items in the Rewards Store, among other improvements, was "the dream". So I'm not giving up hope - we might get there.
I remember the bundles, but those were never in the Rewards store. But as I don't have a functional crystal sphere right now, the future could possibly bring anything.

Steedus
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2022

Overtherainbow wrote:
13 Aug 2022
I cannot try it because I have a 4k display, which makes anything on the UI illegible and I'm not going to change everything up to accommodate a plugin I paid for. This guy here says it's hard to see even on a 2k screen and it's not scalable, so apparently not just a Reason problem:

I have considered it before, though. Judging by the demos, it sounds simply amazing, looks great (which is important) and is surely more capable than any of the three RE's in terms of classic-sounding delay - Ekss's TapeEcho, Reason Echo and RV7000 - because of the number of options and the resolution of some that are duplicated from them, but not all three combined. Together the three give you a much broader arsenal. And if we were to bring up non-classic sounding delay features, Reason Echo and RV7000 are absolutely crazy and are heads and shoulders above the Softube vst.

It would be interesting to me if I'd be reproducing vintage sound, but I'm not.

That's just what I think and we all get our kicks from different things. This may be exactly what you need or just cheap dopamine to you - then by all means, you should get it.
Just thought I'd give an update since I bought it, they must've updated it as I can freely resize it in Reason 12 by grabbing the bottom corner and dragging.

Lotuz2019

14 Aug 2022

It looks great and sounds nice. Compared to Outer Space and Echo Cat though it's too limited when it comes to being able to adjust the head settings (delay times, volume, panning). I'd like to see someone make a Combinator patch based on Dirty Tape, a multi-tap delay and a spring reverb, that looks as attractive as Tape Echoes.

dvdrtldg

14 Aug 2022

Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2022
I grabbed it and like it a lot. It's very dubby, the tape glitch function is extremely cool (a feature I haven't seen in any other delay unit) and the reverb sounds amazing. Has a much deeper, richer sound overall than The Echo. For $15 it's very sweet

EdGrip

14 Aug 2022

There comes a time in a nerd's life where they must admit that they have enough delay plugins.
For me, that time has come.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2022

EdGrip wrote:
14 Aug 2022
There comes a time in a nerd's life where they must admit that they have enough delay plugins.
Never enough reverbs though.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

SebAudio

14 Aug 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Aug 2022
Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2022
I grabbed it and like it a lot. It's very dubby, the tape glitch function is extremely cool (a feature I haven't seen in any other delay unit) and the reverb sounds amazing. Has a much deeper, richer sound overall than The Echo. For $15 it's very sweet
I’ve been demoing this plug-in but for 44€ at the time, I’ve tried with The Echo and achieved a sound I like enough to let Tape Echoes in the shop. But yes, as often with Reason devices, the sound « alone » is not as deep as other plugins even if in the mix the difference is not so obvious.
But now for 15€ I’ve bought it ! This delay is great for drones too !

EdGrip

14 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2022
Of course not! Goes without saying.

crimsonwarlock

14 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2022
EdGrip wrote:
14 Aug 2022
... or EQs.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jam-s

14 Aug 2022

For me that code does not seem to work. I can only see an upgrade offer from DirtyTape for 24€.
Last edited by jam-s on 14 Aug 2022, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
14 Aug 2022
For me that code does not seem to work. I can only see an upgrade offer from DirtyTape for 25€.
Put the upgrade in your cart then apply the code.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

14 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2022
I've tried it but only get "Invalid code. Note that some voucher codes requires that you are logged in." while I'm totally logged in and my details are pre-filled in the checkout form. Could be that only people who were subscribed to their spamchutenewsletter can use this code (or their site is broken).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2022

jam-s wrote:
14 Aug 2022
MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2022
I've tried it but only get "Invalid code. Note that some voucher codes requires that you are logged in." while I'm totally logged in and my details are pre-filled in the checkout form. Could be that only people who were subscribed to their spamchutenewsletter can use this code (or their site is broken).
You’ve got dirty tape right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

14 Aug 2022

MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2022
You’ve got dirty tape right?
Sure and I can put that upgrade for 24€ into the shopping cart, but applying the coupon code only yields above error message and no further discount. Also tried with Chrome. Let's see if Edge does it. EDIT: Nope. Maybe you have to have some additional plugins apart from DirtyTape and SaturationKnob already or the deal has expired.

• Information