Audio Plugins that run on your GPU/videocard(!?)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Neo

31 Mar 2022

Random find..
https://earlyaccess.gpu.audio/

"GPU Audio was established in Fribourg, Switzerland to create a brand new sound processing workflow. Our mission is to provide musicians, music producers, and audio engineers with more creative freedom and save their precious time. Our international team brings cutting-edge developments in various fields to digital audio processing and we're happy to speed up your music software products"
1.png
1.png (126.88 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Audio Plugins can run on your videocard?
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Loque

31 Mar 2022

Yea, i am observing this...

Fathom is working on that too.
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

31 Mar 2022

When this takes off, I can see BlueCat rewriting their wrapper to run on the GPU and that way run any VST on the GPU.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Heater

31 Mar 2022

I'm sure I read that using a GPU core's wasn't a good fit for audio processing. They must have figured out a way.

integerpoet

31 Mar 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2022
When this takes off, I can see BlueCat rewriting their wrapper to run on the GPU and that way run any VST on the GPU.
At first I thought you were predicting they'd build some kind of translator from popular CPU machine code to whatever passes for machine code on a GPU, but that can't be what you meant, right? Seems more likely that if they do something it'll be to pipe PCM between CPU and GPU? And that would help with… um… maybe DAWs which don't yet support GPU plug-ins?

crimsonwarlock

31 Mar 2022

integerpoet wrote:
31 Mar 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Mar 2022
At first I thought you were predicting they'd build some kind of translator from popular CPU machine code to whatever passes for machine code on a GPU, but that can't be what you meant, right? Seems more likely that if they do something it'll be to pipe PCM between CPU and GPU? And that would help with… um… maybe DAWs which don't yet support GPU plug-ins?
I didn't mean anything specific. The batteries of my crystal ball died last week, so my future view is pretty clouded these days :puf_bigsmile:

First, we need to see if running audio plugins on a GPU yields any serious benefits. Somehow my gut feeling tells me that their choice of proof of concept (a convolution reverb) might translate to matrix calculations a bit better than something like emulating hardware circuits like many modeling plugins do these days.

My BlueCat reference was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but also based on their recent tech to link audio and midi signals over network connections. Because that's where I see the direct benefit of off-loading plugin processing to another networked machine (or several machines).
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

• Information