Korg Wavestate and Opsix for now native plug in for Win/Mac

Discuss VST stuff here!

slic

22 Mar 2022

They are amazing- I owned the hardware Wavestate but sold it as I needed space and it was a bugger to edit on hardware...it is so much better as software if you are just in the studio/ITB and sounds identical. I also got the OPSIX as I have been looking at that with gearlust- $150 each currently...VSTs of 2022 so far! ;-)

raymondh

22 Mar 2022

That's awesome, and a very smart move by Korg. Complementary to the hardware, with crossgrade pricing.

No VST2 support though...

joeyluck

22 Mar 2022

I'm sure the hardware is great, but I would think the plugin would be free for hardware owners. The Wavestate is $750.

Heater

22 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2022
I'm sure the hardware is great, but I would think the plugin would be free for hardware owners. The Wavestate is $750.
Yeah. I can understand that. Or at least at very discounted rate.

joeyluck

22 Mar 2022

Heater wrote:
22 Mar 2022
joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Well it's $50 for them, so they do get it discounted more.

But I feel like if I spent $750 on the hardware, I'd probably feel a little bummed that people can have the software achieving the exact same sounds for $550-$600 less and I still have to pay something for it. And I'm sure the hardware is great and offers a great experience, but not sure if I'd place the bulk of that value and difference in price on the hardware.

It almost feels like it should be a selling point for the hardware—that it would also be bundled with the software version for free.

Kilsane

23 Mar 2022

I have my first plugin VST3 only, I only have to wait for the VST3 update from Reason, I'm not in a hurry either I have the hardware version of the opsix.
What is good is that I can make a preset on the vst and send it to the opsix or do the opposite, make a preset on the opsix and send it to the vst

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Heater wrote:
22 Mar 2022

But I feel like if I spent $750 on the hardware, I'd probably feel a little bummed that people can have the software achieving the exact same sounds for $550-$600 less and I still have to pay something for it. And I'm sure the hardware is great and offers a great experience, but not sure if I'd place the bulk of that value and difference in price on the hardware.

It almost feels like it should be a selling point for the hardware—that it would also be bundled with the software version for free.
If you have the hardware, it means you don't need to buy a computer to run it. And when it says 128 note polyphony - it really is (unlike the PC version which could max out on your CPU). You also have a built-in controller and keyboard.

m.arthur

23 Mar 2022

There are good reasons to own hardware digital synths beyond the mistaken belief that they are inherently superior to all software. It's just a dang silly belief, all the more absurdly so considering these are digital synths to begin with. You own the hardware? Great, you own a nice piece of physical hardware. Same synth is available as a plugin now? Great, now it can also be used on a computer. Everybody wins, nobody loses -- except folks who are bizarrely concerned with notions of hardware superiority and some weird (baloney) 'status' achieved by owning expensive things.

joeyluck

23 Mar 2022

Yeah I was only making an argument in favor of hardware owners getting the software version for free. The benefits of owning the hardware over the software and how that is valued is up to the person buying it.

raymondh

23 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Heater wrote:
22 Mar 2022

Yeah, but pretty common practice.
When I bought a DSI Mopho X4 - I had to pay for the software editor (and it was just a software editor, not a full blown softsynth).
When I bought a Roland TR8 - I had to pay (quite a lot) for the TR 7x7 extra sounds.
Roland Cloud is subscription even though I bought a hardware System 8. (Damned if I'm going there!)
OTOH - The Moog Sirin editor is a free download, but then the hardware was pretty pricey (for a monosynth) to start with.

mimidancer

28 Mar 2022

love the wavestate so much. made so many slowly evolving pads this week I feel like I should be featured on venus theory.

Heater

28 Mar 2022

mimidancer wrote:
28 Mar 2022
love the wavestate so much. made so many slowly evolving pads this week I feel like I should be featured on venus theory.
I bought it. It sounds amazing. I'm just learning how to program it.

• Information