McDSP EC-300 Echo Collection free for a very limited time

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

28 Feb 2022

https://sonicstate.com/news/2022/03/01/ ... -plug-ins/
McDSP has been in touch to tell us that their EC-300 Echo Collection is free for a limited time, starting March 2nd, 2022 at 8AM PT.
A spokesperson told us, "Get the sounds of dozens of echo and chorus effects in a single plug-in. The EC-300 Echo Collection is packed with creative options to handle all your time-based effects needs. Features include magnetic, digital, and analog modeled delay types, mono, stereo, and dual delay modes, tap tempo and session tempo sync, wow, flutter, and other modulation options, and synthetic impulse models of devices such as cell phones, radios, televisions, and more. This copy of the EC-300 is fully functional and operates without any performance restrictions."

Pricing and Availability:
Free from March 2nd, 2022 at 8AM PT

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

I've entered my code in the iLok license manager. I see the license there but when I click to activate it I get a window to select an activation location but there are no options available in the "select a location" box. Any ideas?

Edit: Also no option for selecting install location when using the .exe.

Edit2: Fixed
Last edited by MrFigg on 01 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

eusti

01 Mar 2022

MrFigg wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2022
I've entered my code in the iLok license manager. I see the license there but when I click to activate it I get a window to select an activation location but there are no options available in the "select a location" box. Any ideas?
It might not be available yet.

D.

DaveyG

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022

Edit: Also no option for selecting install location when using the .exe.
The activation location is your PC/Mac. Are you using the local licence manager rather than the website one?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

Thanks. I managed to get it working. I didn't have the option to authorize my pc or select the installation location of the program. I had to find the default location, move the .dll to my VST folder, rescan and then start Reason again. Then when Reason started I got the option to activate. Thanks again for the replies.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Loque

01 Mar 2022

Thanks.
Reason12, Win10

Lotuz2019

01 Mar 2022

:thumbup:

Too bad I can't activate my computer. :|

Neo

01 Mar 2022

Cheers J^.
iLok activated then used the native installer:
https://www.mcdsp.com/downloads/plugin-downloads/
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 👭 R12 | i7 | RME

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

How are you guys using this in Reason? Isn't it VST3?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

Steedus wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2022
Also VST2.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022
Also VST2.
Hmm ah I see, weirdly on mac it dumps the VTS3 in the correct place, but the VST is installed to Applications > McDSP etc .. weirdly moving it all the the usual VST folder produces an error message in reason 12 .. hmm will have to. look at it again in the morning.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022

Also VST2.
Hmm ah I see, weirdly on mac it dumps the VTS3 in the correct place, but the VST is installed to Applications > McDSP etc .. weirdly moving it all the the usual VST folder produces an error message in reason 12 .. hmm will have to. look at it again in the morning.
Stupid installer.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

joeyluck wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2022
They dropped VST2 support. So you'll have to download an earlier version.
I downloaded the standalone installer and it worked fine for VST2 on Windows.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

huggermugger

01 Mar 2022

On Mac, I found the VST2 in the McDSP folder in Applications (thanks Steedus), and placed it into my VST folder. Reason sees it, but won't accept it.

I notice the iLok installer only permits installing to an iLok dongle or the iLok Cloud, but not to the local computer. I don't have a dongle (my other iLok installs are on my Mac, working fine), so EC300 authorization went to the iLok Cloud. I wonder if Reason doesn't like this. Logic doesn't seem to mind with the AU.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

huggermugger wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2022

I notice the iLok installer only permits installing to an iLok dongle or the iLok Cloud, but not to the local computer. I don't have a dongle (my other iLok installs are on my Mac, working fine), so EC300 authorization went to the iLok Cloud. I wonder if Reason doesn't like this. Logic doesn't seem to mind with the AU.
That's the problem I was having. I put the .dll in the folder i used for VSTs and when I opened Reason I was prompted to activate the plugin. Works fine now.

Edit: No you're right!!! Cloud. WTF?? I didn't even know there was a cloud. Installing that plugin added it to my licenser and activated a bunch of licenses I had on my PC.!!!
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

01 Mar 2022

I just used an older installer. I'm on macOS. It's possible the macOS version was updated more recently than the Windows version. But they are officially no longer supporting and updating VST2. I'm using iLok Cloud. No problems here getting Reason to see it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
I just used an older installer. I'm on macOS. It's possible the macOS version was updated more recently than the Windows version. But they are officially no longer supporting and updating VST2. I'm using iLok Cloud. No problems here getting Reason to see it.
I think the thing is that it can't be activated on a PC. Needs the cloud.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022
Yep, McDSP does not support iLok computer authorization (same with a few others like Slate). They don't trust it. So they require the dongle or allow cloud authorization. It's annoying, but it's always been the case for them. I was finally able to get SA-2 when they started allowing cloud authorization. I won't be buying a dongle...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022

Yep, McDSP does not support iLok computer authorization (same with a few others like Slate). They don't trust it. So they require the dongle or allow cloud authorization.
Oh well, that's another company I won't be using.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

joeyluck

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022

Yep, McDSP does not support iLok computer authorization (same with a few others like Slate). They don't trust it. So they require the dongle or allow cloud authorization.
Be sure to write them. Hopefully they'll come around some day...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022

Doesn’t look like it Joey:
β€œ McDSP uses iLok and PACE for protection from having our software cracked and pirated. We have been happy with the protection that physical iLok and iLok Cloud activation provides, and have observed that machine or computer activation appears to be where software cracking and piracy are more common than other activation methods. For those reasons, we have not added support for machine or computer activation so far.
That being said, we have been asked this question and received requests of machine activation from quite a few people. It is important to us to maintain the security of our software so we can continue to create cool audio software and hardware for people to enjoy. However, it is also important to us that we provide you with software you enjoy using, and working with iLok and activations is a part of this. We are open to the idea of machine activation and are discussing it as a company, however we have no ETA on when that decision or change would be made. Further, McDSP’s efforts are very focused on supporting the new Mac M1 processor changes so the timeline for this kind of decision would certainly be a bit later down the line.
For now, if you do not have stable internet for the iLok Cloud, you will need to purchase a physical iLok dongle in order to use our plug-ins.
Sorry for the inconvenience!”
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
I'm having the same issue (i.e. Reason not seeing the plugin on Mac). Where did you find the older installer?

joeyluck

01 Mar 2022

01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022

Doesn’t look like it Joey:
β€œ McDSP uses iLok and PACE for protection from having our software cracked and pirated. We have been happy with the protection that physical iLok and iLok Cloud activation provides, and have observed that machine or computer activation appears to be where software cracking and piracy are more common than other activation methods. For those reasons, we have not added support for machine or computer activation so far.
That being said, we have been asked this question and received requests of machine activation from quite a few people. It is important to us to maintain the security of our software so we can continue to create cool audio software and hardware for people to enjoy. However, it is also important to us that we provide you with software you enjoy using, and working with iLok and activations is a part of this. We are open to the idea of machine activation and are discussing it as a company, however we have no ETA on when that decision or change would be made. Further, McDSP’s efforts are very focused on supporting the new Mac M1 processor changes so the timeline for this kind of decision would certainly be a bit later down the line.
For now, if you do not have stable internet for the iLok Cloud, you will need to purchase a physical iLok dongle in order to use our plug-ins.
Sorry for the inconvenience!”
Yeah I've had similar conversations about it with them. They have expressed their opinions on it, but also haven't ruled it out (like that statement says).

I bugged and begged Boom Library a while back to offer computer activation so that I could get Enforcer and Turbine. I was very happy when they decided to add computer activation because those are two of my favorite plugins. That was before iLok Cloud.

I haven't heard anything about iLok security issues with computer authorization. My interaction with McDSP was the first I heard of it. I don't know many that don't offer it aside from them and Slate (haven't checked their stuff in a while though).

joeyluck

01 Mar 2022

dvdrtldg wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2022
01 Mar 2022
I'm having the same issue (i.e. Reason not seeing the plugin on Mac). Where did you find the older installer?
I couldn't find the release notes to know what the latest version was with VST2 support...

I did however contact them recently to get the download link for the latest VST2 version of SA-2...and that was version 6.7.1. So I took a guess and edited the link to point to EC-300 and got the download for that in version 6.7.1 and it works.

https://downloads.mcdsp.com/v6/NV/Mac/E ... _1_OSX.zip

I was going to contact them to make sure it's the latest, but it seems to be working. Switching GUIs seems to be a little buggy sometimesβ€”the top portion doesn't update until you hover over it (or close and reopen the window). Hopefully VST3 support for Reason isn't too far off, so I can get up to date then...

If anybody has a link to release notes, let me know!

• Information