Scaler 2.5 in Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
sasasch

30 Jan 2022

Hi.

Is there a workaround to get Scaler 2.5 triggering another instrument in Reason like the player devices do ?
I only found something with Bluecats Patchwork but this one costs about 99 bucks. Does anyone know an alternative solution?

Regards
Sascha

cymek74

30 Jan 2022

Kushview element, only costs a couple of dollars and has the benefit of allowing you to use the rack plugin within the Reason DAW, plus a host of other routing/midi possibilities, bit like FL's patcher in Reason.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

joeyluck

30 Jan 2022

Does Scaler work in standalone? Because then you could just assign it as the MIDI controller inside Reason.

DaveyG

30 Jan 2022

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2022
Does Scaler work in standalone? Because then you could just assign it as the MIDI controller inside Reason.
No, it does not have a standalone mode but it does have some passable built-in sounds so you can use it as an instrument that generates audio but it's not ideal. The sounds are not going to set the world alight but some of them are usable. Or you do what everyone else does and use another DAW with Scaler VST feeding one of more instances of RRP.

Scaler is way ahead of its competitors in what it does. We should campaign for them to make a Player version for Reason.
Or I suppose RS could pull their finger out and add support for VSTs that generate MIDI. There are quite a few of them now. I'm currently demoing the new Chords by WA Productions. I won't be buying it but there is obviously a market for these type of VSTs and Reason needs to support them.

sasasch

30 Jan 2022

Yeah, this would be the best if Propellerhead would implement this to support Midi Pass Through in VSTs.
But i never saw that this feature is on their "to do" list.
And if the developers of Scaler would make it as a Reason player device. I dont think so. Probably it is the only DAW that does not support these extended midi features :(

I think, it is working with these pre assigned chords and dragging them into the seqencer. Also Midi capture works fine in Scaler and then dragging it back. But may be the possibilities were much bigger if you could play other devies via scaler.

Billy+

30 Jan 2022

Midi routing is on the list of todos but I've given up on the notion that it will be available in R12.

cymek74

30 Jan 2022

sasasch wrote:
30 Jan 2022
Yeah, this would be the best if Propellerhead would implement this to support Midi Pass Through in VSTs.
But i never saw that this feature is on their "to do" list.
And if the developers of Scaler would make it as a Reason player device. I dont think so. Probably it is the only DAW that does not support these extended midi features :(

I think, it is working with these pre assigned chords and dragging them into the seqencer. Also Midi capture works fine in Scaler and then dragging it back. But may be the possibilities were much bigger if you could play other devies via scaler.
Honestly, Kushview Element solves all these issues, although I agree Reason should make it part of their future plans. I was actually surprised that while trialing FL that patcher is basically Kushview Element, but because it is part of the FL ecosystem it isn't seen so much as a workaround. Also when using a midi out device with Ableton or Studio One an additional track to house it, has to be created anyway, so having an extra step of creating an instance of Element to house a MIDI/routing scenario isn't that much different.

cymek74

30 Jan 2022

Also, forgot to mention, Metaplugin by DDMF, does everything Element does, but with the extra benefit of having send/receive nodes that lets a signal be routed to a different instance of Metaplugin on a different track. It does a very weird thing though, it disappears after a while from the plugin list in Reason, doesn't do it in any other DAW I've used, and I've checked everything from settings and folders etc. and cannot for the life of me find out why, I have to keep installing it again to use in Reason, so just use Element instead.

joeyluck

30 Jan 2022

DaveyG wrote:
30 Jan 2022
joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2022
No, it does not have a standalone mode but it does have some passable built-in sounds so you can use it as an instrument that generates audio but it's not ideal. The sounds are not going to set the world alight but some of them are usable. Or you do what everyone else does and use another DAW with Scaler VST feeding one of more instances of RRP.

Scaler is way ahead of its competitors in what it does. We should campaign for them to make a Player version for Reason.
Or I suppose RS could pull their finger out and add support for VSTs that generate MIDI. There are quite a few of them now. I'm currently demoing the new Chords by WA Productions. I won't be buying it but there is obviously a market for these type of VSTs and Reason needs to support them.
Oh built-in sounds is handy. I haven't looked into Scaler thoroughly, but it says it has drag and drop MIDI.

Could a user just use it as an instrument in Reason, create sequences using the built-in sounds, and drag and drop the MIDI into Reason's sequencer? Then the user could move it onto any instrument. That could be a feasible workflow...if it works that way.

DaveyG

31 Jan 2022

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2022
DaveyG wrote:
30 Jan 2022

Oh built-in sounds is handy. I haven't looked into Scaler thoroughly, but it says it has drag and drop MIDI.

Could a user just use it as an instrument in Reason, create sequences using the built-in sounds, and drag and drop the MIDI into Reason's sequencer? Then the user could move it onto any instrument. That could be a feasible workflow...if it works that way.
Yeah, drag and drop should work in Reason but I don't think I've ever tried it. I just went to test it in R11 and remembered that I now only have the VST3 version of Scaler on my system - doh! Assuming DnD does work then you can kinda use Scaler in Reason but it is far from ideal because you can't preview it with your final instrument.

• Information