GForce Software's M-Tron MkII

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

25 Jan 2022

Looks and sounds great! :thumbup:
I wonder if we will see any form of this in the RE format...

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/m-tron-mkii/

The GForce M-Tron MkII is a celebration of the insanely rare and highly coveted original dual manual ‘trons, namely the Mellotron® MkI/MkII and Chamberlin® Musicmaster. M-Tron MkII is a new and distinct product from M-Tron Pro, yet part of the family.

Originally conceived as the ultimate Home Entertainment Console, the UK made 1963 MkI/MkII was a dual manual tape based instrument where the left manual’s 35 notes replayed a combination of 18 Rhythms and Accompaniments (66 on the GForce M-Tron MkII*) and the right manual (also 35 notes) replayed 18 lead sounds (66 on M-Tron MkII*).

M-Tron MkII was designed specially for producers and composers who want access to the evocative tones of the original dual manual Chamberlin®, Mellotron® MkI & MkII instruments with special emphasis on the Rhythms and Accompaniments which capture a moment in time between the 1950’s and late 1960’s.

If you are looking for a truly authentic MkII dose of nostalgia and host sync potential, you’ve found it.

Aosta

25 Jan 2022

I think GForce were one of the first to drop RE development, I believe we've been waiting for them to finish the Imposcar RE for absolutely years.
Tend the flame

dvdrtldg

25 Jan 2022

Interesting stuff, although seems very limited in its usefulness. I've only had a quick glance thru those videos, but am I right in thinking the main thing it adds to M-Tron and Chamberlin (apart from some extra tape banks) is all that cheesy accompaniment stuff? Because it's cute, but very genre-specific (the genre being Dorky Retro), and I wonder how far you can get with it. I guess if all that under the hood stuff is automatable, there are some cool sound design possibilities. I dunno, will try it out. I'm a sucker for anything mellotron related

joeyluck

25 Jan 2022

Aosta wrote:
25 Jan 2022
I think GForce were one of the first to drop RE development, I believe we've been waiting for them to finish the Imposcar RE for absolutely years.
Actually no, that's not true. ChamberTron RE was released after R9.5...after VST support was added to Reason, along with more updates to Re-Tron and Re-Strings. See the interview in my signature. One of the things we talked about was their continued support of the RE format even after VST support was added.

Whether or not they plan to develop for RE in the future, they are definitely far from the first to become inactive. They haven't said anything about dropping the format. I had never heard of them working on an impOSCar2 RE (see the same interview). They had even supplied us with an image of the MkII back when we did that interview :)

joeyluck

25 Jan 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Interesting stuff, although seems very limited in its usefulness. I've only had a quick glance thru those videos, but am I right in thinking the main thing it adds to M-Tron and Chamberlin (apart from some extra tape banks) is all that cheesy accompaniment stuff? Because it's cute, but very genre-specific (the genre being Dorky Retro), and I wonder how far you can get with it. I guess if all that under the hood stuff is automatable, there are some cool sound design possibilities. I dunno, will try it out. I'm a sucker for anything mellotron related
I've downloaded the demo and having fun with it. Although the demo library is limited... I'm a sucker just for the content, but I can see specific uses for music in film, theatre, video games, etc. and other creative ways to use it, fusing it with modern genres.

huggermugger

25 Jan 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Because it's cute, but very genre-specific (the genre being Dorky Retro), and I wonder how far you can get with it. I guess if all that under the hood stuff is automatable, there are some cool sound design possibilities. I dunno, will try it out. I'm a sucker for anything mellotron related
HEY! My specialty is Dorky Retro, don't be hatin' on it!

Loque

25 Jan 2022

Aosta wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Oh.... Never knew they worked on it. Probably had bought it than.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

25 Jan 2022

huggermugger wrote:
25 Jan 2022
dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Because it's cute, but very genre-specific (the genre being Dorky Retro), and I wonder how far you can get with it. I guess if all that under the hood stuff is automatable, there are some cool sound design possibilities. I dunno, will try it out. I'm a sucker for anything mellotron related
HEY! My specialty is Dorky Retro, don't be hatin' on it!
I like doing cheesy Martin Denny style instrumental versions of unlikely pop tunes, so am fine with Dorky Retro (aka Nerdstep). Re-Tron and Chambertron get a lot of use

I just don't know if I can bring myself to pay 377 Australian rupees - intro price! - for this thing, when it seems like the mother of all one-trick ponies. As cool as that trick may be

joeyluck

25 Jan 2022

Loque wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Aosta wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Oh.... Never knew they worked on it. Probably had bought it than.
I'm not sure if they ever "worked on it", but they did look into it. This was from that interview linked in my signature:
tiker01: The whole selection of your Rack Extensions are all based on the Mellotron. And they are damn good. Based on our forum, many Reason users realized they prefer RE over VST, especially in the case of instruments. So, aside from your M-Tron suite, do you plan to make RE versions of your other plugins (such as Oddity2 or impOSCar2)?

Dave: No. We did look at it in detail, but we simply can’t do certain things in the Rack Extension format that we can with VST & AU. For example, the additive harmonic side of things in impOSCar2 could never be as elegant as we’d want it to be.

• Information