Is Kontakt 6 worth the money at half price?

Discuss VST stuff here!
moneykube

15 Jan 2022

been half price for many weeks ... To me the price still seems way too steep at half price, which is $259 Canadian dollars. Got enough synths and samplers now, but I doubt the price will ever be lower.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

joeyluck

15 Jan 2022

If you are eligible for the crossgrade, it can be lower. Interesting though that currently the full version and crossgrade are discounted to the same price (at least in dollars).

WaxTrax

15 Jan 2022

Lots of 3rd-party Kontakt libraries require a full version of Kontakt to work. It might be worth it if you don't envision ever upgrading to the baseline full Komplete version (not Select). If you do think you would go for the full Komplete, it would probably be better to put your funds toward that. You might even be able to acquire it for around that same price anyway! This is what I did. I purchased a K12 Select license from someone (on KVR I think) for $60, and then the K13 Upgrade from someone else for $190. So for me, $250 for the full K13 which goes for $599 when it is not on sale. The full Komplete includes full versions of Kontakt and Reaktor, plus a bunch of other stuff.

DaveyG

15 Jan 2022

Kontakt's real strength is orchestral stuff and, in particular, stuff for scoring to picture. If you don't do much of that then it may not represent good value. Sure, there are other libraries but if you have to buy the full version of Kontakt to use them then those libraries can start to look expensive. I justified my purchase of it because I was commissioned to write a score for a (failed) movie. The final fee just about covered the cost of Kontakt and the two libraries I bought for the job but if I could rewind the clock I'd probably just say "no thanks" and spend the time on song writing, which has earned me more money in the long term.

QVprod

15 Jan 2022

If you plan to use Kontakt libraries that aren’t supported by the the free Kontakt player, then yes. It’s also a pretty powerful sampler if your into that. Otherwise I agree you get more value out of it included in Komplete.

Steedus
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2022

I find the fact there are libraries that require the paid version really frustrating. I know of at least 3 sub $200 libraries I'd love to buy and play around with, but adding the extra $300 (AUD when it's on sale) just kills it. I never found out why exactly.. is it just that the sample pack makers have to pay NI a license fee to enable compatibility with the free version?

DaveyG

17 Jan 2022

Steedus wrote:
16 Jan 2022
is it just that the sample pack makers have to pay NI a license fee to enable compatibility with the free version?
Yes, crappy though that is.

jam-s

17 Jan 2022

Steedus wrote:
16 Jan 2022
I find the fact there are libraries that require the paid version really frustrating. I know of at least 3 sub $200 libraries I'd love to buy and play around with, but adding the extra $300 (AUD when it's on sale) just kills it. I never found out why exactly.. is it just that the sample pack makers have to pay NI a license fee to enable compatibility with the free version?
Yes, that's it pretty much.
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... vox.91153/

https://web.archive.org/web/20210228215 ... s/pricing/

kitekrazy

17 Jan 2022

QVprod wrote:
15 Jan 2022
If you plan to use Kontakt libraries that aren’t supported by the the free Kontakt player, then yes. It’s also a pretty powerful sampler if your into that. Otherwise I agree you get more value out of it included in Komplete.
That's the part most people miss.

The bundled library is underrated.

Lizard

17 Jan 2022

In my opinion Kontakt Full Version is one of those pieces of software that should be given deep consideration by any musician. I say that largely because it is probably the largest platform for samples of all styles of music. By owning it you aren't restricted to using any of the 3rd party libraries whether for player or full version. I would certainly look towards the bundle option in Komplete if you were going to spend money. Getting a Komplete bundle will also provide you with a decent set of libraries to use as well. If they aren't of interest then software alone would be a better choice. Owning a qualifying product may also allow for a cheaper upgrade path in the future as well during sale times. Has for me anyway.

NI is going to get money from their scripting software one way or the other right? If a developer wants to release a product that doesn't need a full version they are going to pay NI on your behalf. From what I hear can be expensive. Thousands possibly which is why many may just say "go full version". If they don't want to pay those fees its passed on to us where we will need to purchase the full software which for us opens up a greater sized library too. Variety is the upside. The Propellerhead model would be in similar fashion. If you want to develop a product, it is sold through the site and uses the sandbox they create. Each sale, a portion will go to them. If you want to use their sample scripting SDK it will cost a bit more as some will probably have to go to UJAM. I think it might be easy to overlook that a lot of money and R&D goes into creating the environments used here.

joeyluck

17 Jan 2022

Yeah I definitely like the Rack Extension approach to licensing better :)

For me the answer of whether or not it's worth buying the full version of Kontakt is a tricky one. IMO if you aren't using Kontakt to build and edit libraries, it understandably feels like an unnecessary amount to pay.

I use Kontakt Player and I mostly only purchase libraries compatible with Kontakt Player. I have libraries that require the full version, some free and some I got for cheap, in which I use with the 15 min demo mode of Kontakt, and then I print to track ;) I've been getting by with that for some time.

I feel like they should have one more tier...
  1. Kontakt player (free). Just like it is now—works with libraries licensed for Kontakt Player
  2. (additional tier) Kontakt Player Pro (maybe $99 full price. Sale price around $49). Access to use any library, but you can't sample, edit or create libraries.
  3. Kontakt Full ($399 full price. Sale price at $199). Just like it is now—access to use any library and ability to edit/create sample libraries.

cocoazenith

18 Jan 2022

moneykube wrote:
15 Jan 2022
been half price for many weeks ... To me the price still seems way too steep at half price, which is $259 Canadian dollars. Got enough synths and samplers now, but I doubt the price will ever be lower.
Not really. If you're not into developing Kontakt libraries and programming in it, I'd say it's not worth it.
IMHO the best third party Kontakt content is also compatible with the free Kontakt Player.

groggy1

19 Jan 2022

If you want ready-made libraries, go for it - it has the most

But if you want to do tweaking, or create your own sounds, I personally don't like it. It's just too complex for my needs

selig
RE Developer

20 Jan 2022

You already answered your own question, not sure what I can add except to say I have had Komplete since it was introduced, and mainly use Reaktor for building and Kontakt for playing. I don’t tend to edit Kontakt patches, so it’s complexity isn't an issue. But the content is why I reach for it, from natural instruments to experimental sound design instruments, which tends to fill a nice gap with Reason instruments for me.
Selig Audio, LLC

esselfortium

20 Jan 2022

Kontakt is definitely worth it.

Get a free or cheap Kontakt Player library, like Embertone Arcane, and you become eligible for a crossgrade at half the price you posted.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

20 Jan 2022

esselfortium wrote:
20 Jan 2022

Get a free or cheap Kontakt Player library, like Embertone Arcane, and you become eligible for a crossgrade at half the price you posted.
Currently the full version and crossgrade are the same price for $199 (full discounted 50% from $399 and crossgrade discounted 20% from $249). But yeah typically the crossgrade would also be 50% off for $124 during sales...not sure why they made it different this time around.

moneykube

20 Jan 2022

esselfortium wrote:
20 Jan 2022

sadly I tried that and the price never changed... perhaps they changed that previous discount I read a number of places on the inter web
I would have definately gone for it, if that had worked as it did in the past :exclamation:
Thanks though :puf_smile:

moneykube

20 Jan 2022

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jan 2022
esselfortium wrote:
20 Jan 2022

Currently the full version and crossgrade are the same price for $199 (full discounted 50% from $399 and crossgrade discounted 20% from $249). But yeah typically the crossgrade would also be 50% off for $124 during sales...not sure why they made it different this time around.
yes... it was something I would have done... I guess they be hurting for money like most companies these days... would have been nice to have more options then the player but after all the sales I fell for this time around... the price offering seems to much to me.... 50 gig of samples... lol... I have spent the last 2 weeks sorting all the samples I acquired through the years and just threw them on an external hard drive as I got them ( for countless years)... it was quite the mess to tackle... over 300GB with a million folders within folders within folders> In the end it should allow faster access to sounds I am searching for... I'm OCD about sorting files in properly named folders. Might be a quarter of the way to my goal... Clean up was needed badly. Way over 300 GB and that does not include the millions of files I sorted and converted to work with protools back in the day... once sorted I will import them in sample accepting Racks and VST plugs. Should be a fun adventure once this sorting nightmare ends some day soon I hope

• Information