Dune 3

Discuss VST stuff here!
rootwheel

Post 19 Dec 2021

I am planning to try the demo of Dune 3.5 out during the week but thought I would ask on here first if many people have had much experience running this excellent sounding instrument as a VST within Reason? Does it perform well? Is it stable?

Let me know your experiences! :)

riemac

Post 19 Dec 2021

Dune 3.5 performs very well in Reason. For what Dune does it is very CPU efficient, that's the reason why Dune is one off my favorate VSTs.

LaudusDeWire

Post 19 Dec 2021

Hi rootwheel,

Dune 3.5 works fine and stable with reason (v11/v12).

If you are on a new M1 Mac you should try to turn on/off "use multi-core audio rendering" and "use hyper-threading audio rendering" if you recognize any crackling.

Overall its a great synth that brings a lot of fun! :-)

All the best
Claudius

:reason: R12 | ๐ŸŽน Sequential Pro 3 | ๐Ÿฅ Arturia Drum Brute Impact | ๐ŸŽ› Synapse Dune 3

rootwheel

Post 21 Dec 2021

Well I've finally got round to downloading and trying to install the demo Mac version from their website but it turns out that the demo package only includes AAX, AU and VST3!

I've emailed Synapse Audio support to see if they can update their demo to also include VST2 so I can test this thing out in Reason and see if I want to purchase :)

MattLeschuck

Post 21 Dec 2021

Here is an enhanced version of the default skin i did if anyone is interested. I basically darkened everything (gave it more contrast), added some more color (red) and got rid of the wood grain :). Simple, but I find it easier to navigate with more definition.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1niO-uc ... sp=sharing

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dezma

Post 28 Dec 2021

Highly recommended. It might miss some of the more exotic synthesis methods of other flagships, but the CPU efficiency and the sound quality is incredibe.

I did a test a while ago, I'll share the results.
Using the melody of system f - out of the blue I compared CPU consumption with about same number of osc's in each synth.

Results are:
Dune3 = 1%
Spire = 4%
Avenger = 10%
Pigments = 14%

All synths are on the latest update.
Studio one 5.4 running on laptop with AMD R9 5900HS.

Onedrive link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aikl1wIggdXrioctPXv ... Q?e=GQv7sD

Can you pick which one is dune3?

Note: all rights of the melody off course belong to system f.
Note2: CPU performance was measured on battery. Plugged in the figures are roughly 45% less (which makes dune3 bounce between 0 and 1%)

rootwheel

Post 29 Dec 2021

dezma wrote: โ†‘
28 Dec 2021
Highly recommended. It might miss some of the more exotic synthesis methods of other flagships, but the CPU efficiency and the sound quality is incredibe.

Using the melody of system f - out of the blue I compared CPU consumption with about same number of osc's in each synth.

Results are:
Dune3 = 1%
Spire = 4%
Avenger = 10%
Pigments = 14%

Onedrive link:

Note2: CPU performance was measured on battery. Plugged in the figures are roughly 45% less (which makes dune3 bounce between 0 and 1%)
Wow, couldn't tell the difference between those test samples of each synth.

Do you use Dune 3 as a VST2 in Reason DAW? If so, do you find it works well - no crashes etc.?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Synapse if there's a VST2 demo I can try but if you're finding it's stable in Reason I might just bite the bullet and go for it...

riemac

Post 29 Dec 2021

rootwheel wrote: โ†‘
29 Dec 2021
dezma wrote: โ†‘
28 Dec 2021

Results are:
Dune3 = 1%
Spire = 4%
Avenger = 10%
Pigments = 14%

Onedrive link:

Do you use Dune 3 as a VST2 in Reason DAW? If so, do you find it works well - no crashes etc.?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Synapse if there's a VST2 demo I can try but if you're finding it's stable in Reason I might just bite the bullet and go for it...
I am using Dune 3.5 as VST 2 and it is as stable as it gets. I would go for it.

dezma

Post 29 Dec 2021

rootwheel wrote: โ†‘
29 Dec 2021

I've been sending them to the same bus and then used the same external EQ, reverb and delay to keep the comparison only on OSC and filters.

Honestly, I'd just go for it. To me the developer (Richard) also seems like a fair guy, I once got a free crossgrade to legend vst after buying the synapse RE bundle.

For me one of the only things I'd like to see changed is a more up to date arp

I'm running VST3 in studio one 5 but have been running VST2 in the past without any issues.

rootwheel

Post 06 Jan 2022

Cheers all, bought the VST2. All working perfectly in Reason - what a synth it is!

• Information