VST3 to 2.4 wrapper

Discuss VST stuff here!
cryonicPAX

24 Sep 2021

Hi there,

there exists a plugin that will "host" your VST3 plugins and lists them as a native supported 2.4 VST if you use it correctly.

My question to those who use this thing: Did you manage to get your VST3 instruments running? I only got my FX converted. And if it does: Which one or do you have to do some batching for the shell?

If you wanna use and try this out yourself:

Download the ZIP from the forum post (it's save): https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &p=8123040
-Unpack it and copy the content into your default VST folder
-Make sure to install your VST3 in the default location

For Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
For Mac: [Macintosh HD] > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST3 (Thanks to StephenHutchinson)

Start Reason and you should see a few new VST3s in your gallery.
Last edited by cryonicPAX on 24 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Drum & Bass-Producer, Mixing-Engineer from Germany. :reason:

StephenHutchinson

24 Sep 2021

For Mac, the default VST3 folder is:

[Macintosh HD] > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST3
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Despondo
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2021

Looks like this is Windows only, so no need to show where the Mac VST3 files are located.

pongasoft
RE Developer

25 Sep 2021

I would caution downloading random zip files from random people on the internet. It might be legit, but with VST there is NO restrictions whatsoever (unlike RE). Meaning, the code might delete files from your drive or talk to the Internet or run crypto mining... It might be entirely legitimate, but who knows in this day and age. Just be cautious...

cryonicPAX

25 Sep 2021

pongasoft wrote:
25 Sep 2021
I would caution downloading random zip files from random people on the internet. It might be legit, but with VST there is NO restrictions whatsoever (unlike RE). Meaning, the code might delete files from your drive or talk to the Internet or run crypto mining... It might be entirely legitimate, but who knows in this day and age. Just be cautious...
If you're not into soft and hardware, i would say this too. But if something is leaving my PC and wanna call home, i gonna know this. As far as i could watch it running, there was no CMD commands going on, no call to the internet and i couldnt find a root kit in there of any kind. So for now i call it save.

Billy+

25 Sep 2021

cryonicPAX wrote:
25 Sep 2021
If you're not into soft and hardware, i would say this too. But if something is leaving my PC and wanna call home, i gonna know this. As far as i could watch it running, there was no CMD commands going on, no call to the internet and i couldnt find a root kit in there of any kind. So for now i call it save.
That's all good, but the advice given is best to follow...
pongasoft wrote:
25 Sep 2021
I would caution downloading random zip files from random people on the internet.
Besides we already have a recommend host available from a legitimate provider and known good location.

https://github.com/kushview/Element

The download links are available for Windows and Mac here :-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7523451

Maybe you should consider using it :thumbup:

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

cryonicPAX wrote:
25 Sep 2021
Sure, but it could still be making your machine more vulnerable without your awareness, or be waiting to call home at a later date.

Also, you don't need to run CMD commands to cause harm or to run other programs.

It only needs ONE weakness in your machine. One application with a vulnerability that can allow it to hi-jack higher privileges, or an application you trust, and you'll think it's not phoning home while it's piggybacking on the network activity of another application.

How do you know it's not slightly altered your browser settings so that it discloses small bits of personal or security information with each HTTP request?

PhutureD

25 Sep 2021

This is the best VSt wrapper. Just install, it scans all your plugins for vst3, they appear along with all of your other plugins, in the browser, no need to load the wrapper, it loads the plugins automatically.

cryonicPAX

26 Sep 2021

PhutureD wrote:
25 Sep 2021
This is the best VSt wrapper. Just install, it scans all your plugins for vst3, they appear along with all of your other plugins, in the browser, no need to load the wrapper, it loads the plugins automatically.
What's why i fall in love with it. It can't find all of mine. For one it won't load Surge, so i still depend on Elements. But the integration into the galery is awesome.

cryonicPAX

26 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
25 Sep 2021

...or be waiting to call home at a later date.

It only needs ONE weakness in your machine. One application with a vulnerability that can allow it to hi-jack higher privileges, or an application you trust, and you'll think it's not phoning home while it's piggybacking on the network activity of another application.

How do you know it's not slightly altered your browser settings so that it discloses small bits of personal or security information with each HTTP request?

You can not be sure, as long as you don't know the coding. I'm not that scared of this things. I've had a few infections on virtual machines and try to find stuff in logs or anything. If it hits me, that's cool with me. I wouldt recommend it when i was sure it's crap. You can do your scans by urself or trust open source projects, but i like to be a bit risky and try all the weird and crappy VSTs for getting maybe the one awesome sound they can produce.

Don't be me. But don't be to shy and risk a few things to learn from it.

Noise
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2021

I guess January came early for reason 12. Vst3 (effects) are working great so far. My only VST3 effect purchase was Kelvin Saturator and I was using it wrapped inside Voltage Modular, but now it's available to drag and drop easily in the rack. Amazing times.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

• Information