Odd VST behaviour between DAWs

Discuss VST stuff here!
goose3000

11 Aug 2021

I'm having a difficult time understanding the compatibility between some VSTs, and other DAWs including Reason.

The VST in question is called Izotope Insight 1- I was under the impression this particular plugin broke with Mac OS Big Sur; then with further investigation realized this actually just broke within Ableton, and Big Sur was not the issue.

I know this because I've tested this exact plugin within other DAWs- it's a 64bit plugin, and it works well in Logic, FL studio, and more notably Reason. This particular plugin is a legacy version where there is now a Insight 2[a downgrade in every respect], and so just updating the plugin is not a solution for me. I'm upset to have read that the blame was placed on Big Sur and I was essentially doomed. But trying this plugin within different Reason for example has showed me this is not the case. I'd like to understand why exactly Reason Studios, a smaller team of Developers managed to get this[and plenty of other plugins] working within their DAW when other ones can't [Ableton for example].

Is Reason using some form of VST wrapper to bridge plugins that had notarization/codesign issues? Up until today, it was noted from the developers of the other DAWs that the code of Insight 1 was the cause. If that were true, the result would be nearly the same per DAW.

Note* This is the plugin I am speaking about, however there are several other ones that have the same outcome.

• Information