KORG Collection 3 (with Prophecy, Triton Extreme, and miniKORG 700S) released

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

31 Jul 2021

avasopht wrote:
31 Jul 2021
joeyluck wrote:
31 Jul 2021
I can check it out. What is the bug exactly?
It's that the global arp settings just don't work. But apparently, according to another user, this is exactly how it's supposed to work (I just don't remember this when I had one).

I'll need to confirm on hardware, but as of now it seems I have been wrong about this being a bug all along.
Oh ok :thumbup:

Despondo
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jul 2021
Hmmm I'm having no issues with any of the plugins or standalone versions. I'm on macOS Mojave.
Same here. No problems on MacOS Mojave on two computers.

Lizard

02 Aug 2021

I was very glad to see the Prophecy added to the Korg Collection. I had a Triton when they first came out and added a MOSS daughter board to it. Sounded great but God awful to program on the 3-4in screen the Triton had. Was hoping when the first Triton plug-in came out that it would have it. Not so lucky. So the addition of the Prophecy with the ability for polyphony settles my MOSS and Z1 thirst all together. And the miniKorg is pretty special too. Well done. I'm a sucker for Korg. What can I say?

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2021

While there are lots of interesting Prophecy patches, I want to know what users are doing with it.

I've got the demo and will be giving it a go, but I wouldn't get it or upgrade to Collection 3 unless Prophecy puts out ;)

Lizard

02 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
02 Aug 2021
While there are lots of interesting Prophecy patches, I want to know what users are doing with it.

I've got the demo and will be giving it a go, but I wouldn't get it or upgrade to Collection 3 unless Prophecy puts out ;)
I was a Korg 2 Bundle owner so upgrading was only $99 USD. So three VST of classic devices is not all that bad at $33 a piece albeit the Triton extreme is not a radical departure from the basic Triton. But keep in mind that the emulations are of devices +25 or more years. There is nothing revelating here.

This plugin does allow for polyphony unlike the original Prophecy allowing usage similar to the MOSS, Z1 and maybe the OASYS. It is a physical modeling synth with two oscillators providing a combination of 6 types of modeling. It can do analog, VPM (similar FM), reeds, brass and plucks. Programming my MOSS in the Triton was an arduous task. The Prophecy hardware version looks worse! But I speculate. This VST makes a much more engaging programming window to play with.

I would say it's strong suit is gritty leads for several types of electronic music. If you at all liked the Prodigy this would fit that taste. It can do pads ok IMO but the selling point would be leads and some interesting FX. I haven't owned it very long to deep dive yet. One of the cool features is that it allows SYSEX import and you can find some scatterings of patches out there. I just bought around 1200 patches or so for 5 Euro. Not bad deal and well increases the banks available.

joeyluck

02 Aug 2021

Lizard wrote:
02 Aug 2021
I just bought around 1200 patches or so for 5 Euro. Not bad deal and well increases the banks available.
Which ones are those? Are they original?

I posted this earlier: https://rhythm-lab.com/korg-prophecy-patches/

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2021

Lizard wrote:
02 Aug 2021
I was a Korg 2 Bundle owner so upgrading was only $99 USD. So three VST of classic devices is not all that bad at $33 a piece albeit the Triton extreme is not a radical departure from the basic Triton. But keep in mind that the emulations are of devices +25 or more years. There is nothing revelating here.

This plugin does allow for polyphony unlike the original Prophecy allowing usage similar to the MOSS, Z1 and maybe the OASYS. It is a physical modeling synth with two oscillators providing a combination of 6 types of modeling. It can do analog, VPM (similar FM), reeds, brass and plucks. Programming my MOSS in the Triton was an arduous task. The Prophecy hardware version looks worse! But I speculate. This VST makes a much more engaging programming window to play with.

I would say it's strong suit is gritty leads for several types of electronic music. If you at all liked the Prodigy this would fit that taste. It can do pads ok IMO but the selling point would be leads and some interesting FX. I haven't owned it very long to deep dive yet. One of the cool features is that it allows SYSEX import and you can find some scatterings of patches out there. I just bought around 1200 patches or so for 5 Euro. Not bad deal and well increases the banks available.
Cool, ... I couldn't find the settings to make the patches polyphonic and just assumed it was the same as the hardware.

From the videos I've seen, the Prophecy was an absolute pain to program patches for.

BTW, the TRITON and Triton Extreme share the same license, so it's already registered if you have the TRITON.

Lizard

02 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Aug 2021

These are mostly the same. I was hoping for different. That said there are a couple banks not in the rhythm lab. For the 5 Euro though I don't feel bad for another couple banks. I've spent far more for far less. :lol: There is an interesting collection of 128 Industrial patches. There is another couple banks in there too but are there duplicates? I can't say. I'll have to look through the singles ones and compile.

avasopht wrote:
02 Aug 2021

Cool, ... I couldn't find the settings to make the patches polyphonic and just assumed it was the same as the hardware.

From the videos I've seen, the Prophecy was an absolute pain to program patches for.

BTW, the TRITON and Triton Extreme share the same license, so it's already registered if you have the TRITON.
Yeah the polyphony is in the FX section. Odd. Did not expect there. And yeah it looks like a pain. The programming window looks like a single line LCD with a limited number of knobs to modify. In the Triton I guess I should have felt lucky but I hated that one too. Was very small put did have pages to work through. Good to hear that anyone having the Triton can upgrade. I give props to the minKorg too. It is a simple but nice sounding synth. If they would just come out with the Poly-800, MS200 and the Electribe Series they'd be complete!

joeyluck

02 Aug 2021

Lizard wrote:
02 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
02 Aug 2021

These are mostly the same. I was hoping for different. That said there are a couple banks not in the rhythm lab. For the 5 Euro though I don't feel bad for another couple banks. I've spent far more for far less. :lol: There is an interesting collection of 128 Industrial patches. There is another couple banks in there too but are there duplicates? I can't say. I'll have to look through the singles ones and compile.
Lol ok. What are the names of the banks and some of the patches? I'm looking around for more. If someone is selling a pack that includes free to share banks, it's probable the other banks aren't commercial or designed by the seller.

kbard

02 Aug 2021

I am on Windows 10. Reason 11 suite. No crashes whatsoever. Everything works normally for me. Browsing, loading, saving.

Lizard

02 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Aug 2021
Lol ok. What are the names of the banks and some of the patches? I'm looking around for more. If someone is selling a pack that includes free to share banks, it's probable the other banks aren't commercial or designed by the seller.
I had three banks in there different. One was called 128 Industrial patches which seem to be not repeats. Another called Greek which mostly looks different though a few I thought I saw in another banks. Last one was called MISC. That could be anything. So... the OCD in me cannot let the disorganization of all the banks and folders. I'm consolidating, removing any of the patch numbers like "B07" and culling them out. Then I'll make banks of 64 or 128 (whichever will allow). I would hardly believe that the banks here are commercial. I've looked online to see if these different ones pop on a search engine and they don't. I would expect it wouldn't after 25 years.

joeyluck

02 Aug 2021

Lizard wrote:
02 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
02 Aug 2021
I had three banks in there different. One was called 128 Industrial patches which seem to be not repeats. Another called Greek which mostly looks different though a few I thought I saw in another banks. Last one was called MISC. That could be anything. So... the OCD in me cannot let the disorganization of all the banks and folders. I'm consolidating, removing any of the patch numbers like "B07" and culling them out. Then I'll make banks of 64 or 128 (whichever will allow). I would hardly believe that the banks here are commercial. I've looked online to see if these different ones pop on a search engine and they don't. I would expect it wouldn't after 25 years.
Thanks I'll keep an eye out!

The banks from that link that seem unique are Megawave, Techtool, and Zon_snds

Funny I'm OCD as well, but I actually went in and added "A" or "B" to the front of other patches so that they would be in the same format as the factory banks (such as "A00"). That way additional patches don't precede the factory banks when viewing all. Having owned a Prophecy for years, I'm just familiar with patches by their numbers...

joeyluck

03 Aug 2021

Lizard wrote:
02 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
02 Aug 2021
Also, I'm wondering if the "MISC" bank is the "singles" folder from that link 🤔

The "DJ Jurgen" patch from the song, "Better Off Alone" is in that folder. Simple patch, but iconic.

Now that I have moved all of those single patches into their own bank and have been browsing those, I think I have everything I had back in the day.

Lizard

03 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Also, I'm wondering if the "MISC" bank is the "singles" folder from that link 🤔

The "DJ Jurgen" patch from the song, "Better Off Alone" is in that folder. Simple patch, but iconic.

Now that I have moved all of those single patches into their own bank and have been browsing those, I think I have everything I had back in the day.
I have been doing my best to eliminate duplicates in the collection. I think I can say with confidence that the singles are not in the MISC bank. The singles I did first and when I added the MISC bank there were no overwrites. But would not of been surprised if they robbed from other banks. In total I think I've got it down a little shy of 900. Last thing to do is cross reference the patches with the included PHC11 and 12 banks. I have noticed some from there were in the banks from the both collections.

scotward57

26 Nov 2021

avasopht wrote:
30 Jul 2021
Damn is this buggy.

Triton Extreme crashes every time I click on one of the Combi patches!
I had the same issue. I was able to get both Tritons to work by launching them standalone first and then adjusting the screen size to 90%.

• Information