KORG Collection 3 (with Prophecy, Triton Extreme, and miniKORG 700S) released

Discuss VST stuff here!
marcuswitt

29 Jul 2021

https://www.korg.com/us/products/softwa ... ollection/
    Prophecy and Triton Extreme included :thumbup:

slic

29 Jul 2021

Some nice updates prices as well (I only had up to the Oddy and it was 150 USD, It was more than that for just the basic Triton before...the shop tales a bit of working out however to find your discount codes!)

The Prophecy is superb.....brings back fond memories :-)

joeyluck

29 Jul 2021

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! I've been hoping that they would make a Prophecy plugin someday!

The Prophecy was one of my favorite synths that I owned that I eventually gifted to my brother.

Now to decide if I just want the Prophecy plugin or the collection...

Loque

29 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
    29 Jul 2021
    The Prophecy ...
    I was looking for this for ages...This might me jump on board, but only for that price?
    Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

29 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
    29 Jul 2021
    joeyluck wrote:
    29 Jul 2021
    The Prophecy ...
    I was looking for this for ages...This might me jump on board, but only for that price?
    Yeah on sale for $99 now or $299 for the collection. I don't see an upgrade path from individual synths...is there one?

I can now use the preset, "B28 CircularReason12" in Reason 12 :D

joeyluck

29 Jul 2021

Oh since I own M1 LE, I can upgrade to the collection for $199. Outside of the Korg REs (and M1 LE) I don't own any of the Korg VSTs/AUs. So I think think I'll be getting the collection :)

eusti

29 Jul 2021

OK, people! Not sure I understand the excitement about the Prophecy... To me it sounds pretty brittle... Any sound examples out there that could help to educate me? Thanks!

D.

joeyluck

29 Jul 2021

eusti wrote:
    29 Jul 2021
    OK, people! Not sure I understand the excitement about the Prophecy... To me it sounds pretty brittle... Any sound examples out there that could help to educate me? Thanks!

D.
    There's a demo you can try! I really like the motion patches, the physical modeling patches, the wheel 3 with the ribbon (which is of course not as fun in the software as it is on the hardware) :-) And some of the patches you might recognize from some popular songs, including ones by Prodigy. I used mine in a band primarily for synth leads.

joeyluck

29 Jul 2021

Wow the miniKORG 700S is fantastic as well! :clap:

I had a quick play with the Triton Extreme. I think I'll get most use from the keys on that.

I still have to check out the other synths I didn't previously have in the collection.

eusti

29 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
    29 Jul 2021
    There's a demo you can try! I really like the motion patches, the physical modeling patches, the wheel 3 with the ribbon (which is of course not as fun in the software as it is on the hardware) :-) And some of the patches you might recognize from some popular songs, including ones by Prodigy. I used mine in a band primarily for synth leads.
    Thanks, Joey!

I'll check it out further!

D.

joeyluck

29 Jul 2021

AHHHHH POLYPHONY!!!!!!!!!! :D

As y'all know, the Prophecy was monophonic. I was playing the standalone software version and reminiscing and didn't see an option to change polyphony. I came to terms with it and figured it was just being true to the original and eventually they'll release a Z1 and I can have polyphony then... But voice settings are under the "FX" section... :puf_bigsmile:

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 2.17.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 2.17.47 PM.png (650.63 KiB) Viewed 5160 times

Now I'm really having fun living my fantasy of my fav Prophecy patches being polyphonic!

DaveyG

29 Jul 2021

I wish I could remember the name of the preset but my writing partner at the time very proudly announced that he had just bought a (newly launched) Prophecy based entirely on hearing one preset. He brought it into a studio session one day and got the engineer to put it through the desk then played that preset somewhere low down on the keyboard through the big near-field monitors in the control room at a scary volume. It's impossible to convey the sound with words but it was one of those graunchy, deep, farty sounds that evolves forever and seems to have all the frequencies in it. The engineer almost swallowed his own tongue and he was well-accustomed to the sound of the big name analogue monosynths of the 70's and 80's.

It was truly a defining experience and that day still comes up in conversation some quarter of a century later. I can't even tell you the name of the studio or the name of the band we were working with but I can still picture that engineer's face and I can still hear that sound in my mind. Of course, in common with many of the "wow" presets of that era, it was absolutely useless in a musical context because it just swamped anything else. You'd have to EQ it out of existence to use it.I don't really recall us using the synth on much stuff. We tended to demo on piano and guitar mostly then arrange for whatever the band/artist used.

But, yeah, Prophecy. I might have to try that emulation.

avasopht
    Competition Winner

29 Jul 2021

They've still not fixed the ARP global settings bug in the Triton plugins, and the Triton plugin crashes immediately just by clicking on a button on the screen (every time) 🤦‍♂️

I'd report it, but they've still not bothered to fix the ARP so I don't think they actually look at the bug reports (still gonna enjoy the sounds, ... just a little disappointing).

The Prophecy looks like they developed it around the same time as the M1 but only chose to release it now. There are a few sounds I recognize

joeyluck

30 Jul 2021

Yeah the Prophecy is quite unique. For anybody who has picked it up or checking out the demo, here's one link to more patches: https://rhythm-lab.com/korg-prophecy-patches/

I'm still on the lookout for more. I might have some backed up somewhere from my old Prophecy...

I'm hoping some designers jump on creating new patches. It's beast capable of really killer sounds.

miyaru

30 Jul 2021

Back in the days I had a hardware Korg Prophecy..... and sold it again as I just was not aware of it's true value.....

I'm thinking about the pack because I always wanted a Korg Triton, and get back to the Prophecy again. I think for $299,= it is good value for money, but it is an fair amount of money to spent on some synths though. With Reason we have a lot of capable synths, and then I have Rob Papen's Predator 2 and Massive from NI. Beside that I have the whole ballpark from Ableton Live 10 suite (beside Reason 11 suite Mmmmm).

Don't know yet, have to think about it.......
    Greetings from Miyaru.
    Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
    Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

avasopht
    Competition Winner

30 Jul 2021

miyaru wrote:
    30 Jul 2021
    Back in the days I had a hardware Korg Prophecy..... and sold it again as I just was not aware of it's true value.....

I'm thinking about the pack because I always wanted a Korg Triton, and get back to the Prophecy again. I think for $299,= it is good value for money, but it is an fair amount of money to spent on some synths though. With Reason we have a lot of capable synths, and then I have Rob Papen's Predator 2 and Massive from NI. Beside that I have the whole ballpark from Ableton Live 10 suite (beside Reason 11 suite Mmmmm).

A little price hack can reduce that a great deal. You can sometimes get find M1 LE on eBay for $20-30, then you can get it for $199.

The Triton is something else. It's just so damn playable.

The Prophecy has some insanely playable sounds. Quite a beast, and a great deal easier to program patches than the hardware.

Neo

30 Jul 2021

miyaru wrote:
    30 Jul 2021
    Owned one myself. Same^

https://theprodigy.info/equipment/Korg-Prophecy.shtml
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/defau ... _Guide.pdf

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

avasopht
    Competition Winner

30 Jul 2021

Damn is this buggy.

Triton Extreme crashes every time I click on one of the Combi patches!

marcuswitt

30 Jul 2021

avasopht wrote:
    30 Jul 2021
    Damn is this buggy.

Triton Extreme crashes every time I click on one of the Combi patches!
    Browsing the Preset patches in the Plugin version of the Triton Extreme also causes my DAWs, i.e. Reason as well as Digital Performer to crash, but only sometimes.
    On the other hand, the standalone version is stable, as far as I have experienced. Same is true for the M1 Plugin version, based on my observations and experience. Indeed, KORG has to be squishing some bugs there. Let'S hope that they'll be doing that quite soon.

avasopht
    Competition Winner

30 Jul 2021

marcuswitt wrote:
    30 Jul 2021

Browsing the Preset patches in the Plugin version of the Triton Extreme also causes my DAWs, i.e. Reason as well as Digital Performer to crash, but only sometimes.
    On the other hand, the standalone version is stable, as far as I have experienced. Same is true for the M1 Plugin version, based on my observations and experience. Indeed, KORG has to be squishing some bugs there. Let'S hope that they'll be doing that quite soon.
    Happens in standalone for me.

avasopht
    Competition Winner

30 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
    30 Jul 2021
    Hmmm I'm having no issues with any of the plugins or standalone versions. I'm on macOS Mojave.
    What about the global ARP setting?

raymondh

31 Jul 2021

Just bought the Arp Odyssey vst. Doesn't sound the same as the hardware but very nice and some new features of it's own.

joeyluck

31 Jul 2021

avasopht wrote:
    30 Jul 2021
    joeyluck wrote:
    30 Jul 2021
    Hmmm I'm having no issues with any of the plugins or standalone versions. I'm on macOS Mojave.
    What about the global ARP setting?
    I can check it out. What is the bug exactly?

avasopht
    Competition Winner

31 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
    31 Jul 2021
    I can check it out. What is the bug exactly?
    It's that the global arp settings just don't work. But apparently, according to another user, this is exactly how it's supposed to work (I just don't remember this when I had one).

I'll need to confirm on hardware, but as of now it seems I have been wrong about this being a bug all along.

• Information