Kontakt 6 Users- How do you manage multiple NI instruments in Reason?

Discuss VST stuff here!
Mistro17

13 Jun 2021

I just purchased Komplete 13 Ultimate taking advantage of the summer sale and suddenly, my Kontakt library is much more populated with plugins I will be using a LOT. I see in other DAWs it's possible to have multiple instruments in one isntance of Kontakt saving on resources. I imagine this would help to have less clutter in the rack. I'm still doing research to find out if having many Kontakt instances is a real problem but doing cinematic pieces this is starting to concern me. Is there a way to have multiple instruments in Kontakt using Reason 11 with each instrument in it's own track in the sequencer? I saw some videos and posts saying no, but those were years old info, some before Reason 9.
ReasonKontakt.png
ReasonKontakt.png (826.39 KiB) Viewed 523 times

QVprod

13 Jun 2021

You can’t do Multitimbral in Reason. But from what I’ve read on forums and experienced myself, I’ve not noticed a difference between multiple instances of Kontakt vs 1 Kontakt instance with multiple libraries loaded. Load on the computer seems to be about the same.

For what it’s worth, the Komplete Kontrol software only allows one instrument per instance, and that’s pushed as a superior workflow than using Kontakt standalone.

Mistro17

14 Jun 2021

QVprod wrote:
13 Jun 2021
You can’t do Multitimbral in Reason. But from what I’ve read on forums and experienced myself, I’ve not noticed a difference between multiple instances of Kontakt vs 1 Kontakt instance with multiple libraries loaded. Load on the computer seems to be about the same.

For what it’s worth, the Komplete Kontrol software only allows one instrument per instance, and that’s pushed as a superior workflow than using Kontakt standalone.
Thanks. Well as long as there's no difference than using any of the other instruments in Reason I'll just carry on. Just curious, why is Komplete Kontrol considered a superior workflow?

chimp_spanner

14 Jun 2021

Mistro17 wrote:
14 Jun 2021
QVprod wrote:
13 Jun 2021

Thanks. Well as long as there's no difference than using any of the other instruments in Reason I'll just carry on. Just curious, why is Komplete Kontrol considered a superior workflow?
I'd hazard a guess and say it's just the audio previews and tagging. Which are admittedly very cool.

I'm still on the fence about multi-timbral MIDI. I would like to be able to do it because it would be nice to be able to save Kontakt ensembles with a full orchestra section, or use instruments that need multiple MIDI channels.

On the other hand, using an instance per instrument is probably quicker than setting up all the routing and stuff in Kontakt which is one of my least favourite things about it. Interestingly, most composers I know (in games and trailers and stuff) have HUGE templates precisely because they don't use ensembles, or sometimes even key switching. They just a track per articulation, per section. It's absolutely wild and I don't know how they live with it haha.

Mistro17

14 Jun 2021

Probably best to look more at the sequencer than the rack when making a huge orchestra :-) At least when you click on an instrument in the sequencer, it takes you to the rack device.

• Information