Why do I need MASCHINE mikro MK3?

Discuss VST stuff here!
The_Real_DeanC2000

13 Jun 2021

I am contemplating purchasing the Komplete 13 Collector's edition. With the Collector's edition comes a TON of expansions, that primarily target Maschine users. I tried Maschine a few years ago, but it just seemed like working in a DAW inside of the DAW that I was using, and just added one more level of complexity to the process.

For those who use Maschine, please sell me on why I need to give it another look. Why do I need to learn this midi controller/software, in order to produce music? I have no problem producing music with my computer and a mouse. Why do people not want to use their computer? I also record guitar and vocals, so I have my instruments. So is Maschine just something so that people can say they play an instrument? Please explain to me, because I want to understand. Thanks.

D.

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jun 2021

No, you don't need it if you're fine working with a mouse.

DaveyG

13 Jun 2021

The_Real_DeanC2000 wrote:
13 Jun 2021
I am contemplating purchasing the Komplete 13 Collector's edition. With the Collector's edition comes a TON of expansions, that primarily target Maschine users. I tried Maschine a few years ago, but it just seemed like working in a DAW inside of the DAW that I was using, and just added one more level of complexity to the process.

For those who use Maschine, please sell me on why I need to give it another look. Why do I need to learn this midi controller/software, in order to produce music? I have no problem producing music with my computer and a mouse. Why do people not want to use their computer? I also record guitar and vocals, so I have my instruments. So is Maschine just something so that people can say they play an instrument? Please explain to me, because I want to understand. Thanks.

D.
You need Maschine because it's the one last thing you need to add to your arsenal to complete your setup and finally become the successful/satisfied/perfect musician that you always wanted to be. This is always untrue but it's how the whole industry manages to keep selling us stuff!

Some people prefer that groovebox-style workflow and the low cost way to get that is to use a pad + knob controller plus a PC/Mac. If you are happy with keyboard and mouse then stick with them and make music. Based on what you said I would suggest buying a lower tier of Komplete and then either spending the balance on targeted stuff that you will actually use or just keeping the money for something else in the future. As tempting as those huge bundles are with their apparently crazy savings, there is not a single person on the planet who would make use of everything in the bundle. In fact, such a huge amount of stuff just means you'll waste loads of time installing and auditioning it all.

Almost everyone on this forum already has more musical tools, libraries, synths and presets than they will ever need even if they live to be 200 years old. Of course, that doesn't stop us wanting more stuff. :puf_smile:

QVprod

13 Jun 2021

You don’t “need it”. But if you program drums it’s really nice to have. I got the MK3 mikro recently after years of not getting the hype. Now I don’t wanna be without it

ShelLuser

13 Jun 2021

pfff, I so much can't resist this ;)
13 Jun 2021

For those who use Maschine, please sell me on why I need to give it another look.
So... just like the others mentioned above me: you don't. An all time truth within this field of work is "what works for me doesn't have to work for you", and vice versa of course.

In fact.... you mentioned the Mikro Mk3 and I'd even go so far as to recommend against that one unless you're really happy with the idea of having just a controller to play on, but not do anything else. And that can become a problem because the Maschine software has a very specific and sometimes peculiar workflow. I can't help shake off the feeling that this is so because the idea is to do most of your work from behind the controller itself. However.. you can't do that with a Mikro, only the regular Mk3 provides that.

As you said yourself: you'd be working with a "DAW-like" product which isn't a real DAW and on top of that has a very peculiar workflow which can have a rather steep learning curve.

Also keep in mind that you don't really need Maschine for those expansions perse; these are essentially a bunch of high quality samples that have been carefully sorted within a strict folder hierarchy. So... you could even easily use 'm within Reason if you wanted to (I know this for a fact because I have done this myself).
13 Jun 2021
Why do I need to learn this midi controller/software, in order to produce music? I have no problem producing music with my computer and a mouse. Why do people not want to use their computer?
Why do some people prefer playing a trumpet vs. using a sample library? Why do some people use Thor instead of Europe? Answer: "because".

See, producing music is one thing but this isn't just about that. It's also about playing and composing.

Why use a hardware controller vs. keyboard/mouse. Just for context sake: I use the Ableton Push controller as well as NI's Maschine MK3 (together with Komplete UC).

The main reason for me to use controllers is because it allows me to focus on playing and messing around vs. using the software. I don't want to bother wondering how many tracks and what tracks I have, what instruments, etc. I want to focus on how things sound, how they work together and I want to be able and work with the material on the fly. Not to mention that having an 8 x 8 grid of velocity sensitive pads with aftertouch plays out a lot better than a static computer keyboard. Not to mention the mod/pitch wheel/strip.

For me the only exception to all this is Reason, Max for Live and Reaktor which I can only use behind my PC. But when it comes down to playing... Push it is.

... and Maschine of course. While a 4 x 4 grid may seem small in comparison to 64 pads in total you can actually do a lot of stuff with it. For me personally Maschine is the de-facto tool to be working with my Komplete setup because I can use and control just about everything from there. Once again it allows me to focus on my playing vs. boring numbers and percentages and other stuff. I don't want that, I want to focus on sound and that's something you can do a lot better (in my opinion obviously) from behind and "instrument like setup" vs. a computer.

It also helps that I can access the whole Komplete collection from behind Maschine.

So yah...

Do you need it? Heck no. Before I started using these controllers I relied on my Casio keyboard + an MPD24 drumpad and had an APC to control some parts of Live. Everything else was done from behind my PC keyboard and I was perfectly happy with it.

But I also wouldn't want to go back there either. For me, Push + Maschine provide me with much more creativity.

.... nothing beats playing Kong using Maschine's drumpads btw :mrgreen:
--- :reason:

bxbrkrz

13 Jun 2021

13 Jun 2021

D.
Because you record guitar, vocals, and other instruments.

YOLO
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2021

13 Jun 2021
So is Maschine just something so that people can say they play an instrument?
No.
13 Jun 2021
Why do people not want to use their computer?
It's a much more streamlined and intuitive workflow for some user needs. If that's not you, there's no point in trying to convince you - it's just not for you.

Using Maschine doesn't mean you're not using your computer. You are still using your computer, but with Maschine, you have a purpose-built controller.

It's the same as having modulation wheels, knobs and sliders on a keyboard or just as a single input device. You're not using them because you don't want to use a computer. You use them when it's better to use knobs and sliders over a mouse.

But there's no point trying to convince you. It's not for you.

• Information