SSL - Free Update to Channel Strip & Bus Comp + A Cool Bonus

Discuss VST stuff here!
User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1673
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 28 May 2021

First things first - owners of SSL's channel strip and Bus Comp get the V2 updates for free and there are apparently some improvements, particularly to the Bus Comp (supposed to sound better than all other emulations). Some confusion on the internets about the additional new SSL 360 Mixer app and whether it works without owning the hardware it's intended to work with. I can confirm that YES it works without owning the hardware! At least it does in Logic. https://www.solidstatelogic.com/products/plug-ins

The SSL 360 mixer app (which is supposed to work in tandem with the new hardware UC-1/8) connects to your DAW and gives you an overview of the tracks in your project that have the channel strip on them, and you can edit each instance of the channel strip using just this mixer app. The SSL strip on your track auto updates as you edit. You can re-order and re-name things in your project and the SSL 360 updates along with your changes. Pretty freaking sweet for free.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/product ... dDocuments

ssl360.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hurricane on 29 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 313
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 28 May 2021

The plugins and 360 app all work in Reason 10.

Its like a better version of Reason's mixer and bus compressor. Did a basic comparison and while I didn't notice any huge sound difference.... I much preferred working in the SSL plugins. This is a brilliant idea. Add the UC-1controller and this is a no brainer. Almost like having a real SSL desk.

So how it works is that you select your channel in reason and place the SSL channel strip 2 in there. It automatically pops up in the external SSL 360 mixer.

You place the SSL Bus Compressor 2 in the mastering section. I had it just before my final limiter and it also shows on the external SSL 360 mixer.

Then you can use this bad boy to control the tracks. Switch from track to track with the knob next to the large red number on the photo below.

Image

So glad I got the SSL2+ I ended up getting all of thier plugins on discount.

Thanks for bringing this to attention.

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 313
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 28 May 2021

I tested a song I've been working on so far with 14 tracks about half of which I am using the SSL Mixer in Reason.

Replacing all the uses of Reason's SSL with SSL Channel Strip 2 Plugins I noticed about a 5% increase in CPU.

Overall it seems pretty solid and reliable. Which has been my experience with the SSL2+

Of course this is with a quick and dirty basic test.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1673
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 29 May 2021

The zoomed view is fantastic. Graphics are so sleek:
sl360zoom.jpg
I haven't tried it in Reason yet, but the SOLO and CUT buttons on the SSL360 work perfectly with Logic and the volume slider is also mapped to Logic's volume slider. It just doesn't have pan pots, otherwise it would be perfect. But for what it's doing, it's great, and I certainly don't expect it to be a full featured console.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

Happy-Musician
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Feb 2020

Post 29 May 2021

Perhaps I am overlooking something, but doesn't Reason already accurately model the SSL9000K mixing desk and glue compressor? I understand this being useful for other DAWS, but not sure what advantage there is within Reason.

Happy-Musician
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Feb 2020

Post 29 May 2021

dannyF wrote:
28 May 2021
The plugins and 360 app all work in Reason 10.

Its like a better version of Reason's mixer and bus compressor. Did a basic comparison and while I didn't notice any huge sound difference.... I much preferred working in the SSL plugins. This is a brilliant idea. Add the UC-1controller and this is a no brainer. Almost like having a real SSL desk.

So how it works is that you select your channel in reason and place the SSL channel strip 2 in there. It automatically pops up in the external SSL 360 mixer.

You place the SSL Bus Compressor 2 in the mastering section. I had it just before my final limiter and it also shows on the external SSL 360 mixer.

Then you can use this bad boy to control the tracks. Switch from track to track with the knob next to the large red number on the photo below.

Image

So glad I got the SSL2+ I ended up getting all of thier plugins on discount.

Thanks for bringing this to attention.
Does the external SSL 360 mixer work with Reason's in built mixer, or just the plugin? If so, are there any mapping issues? It looks great. Would make life easier.

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 313
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 29 May 2021

Happy-Musician wrote:
29 May 2021
Does the external SSL 360 mixer work with Reason's in built mixer, or just the plugin? If so, are there any mapping issues? It looks great. Would make life easier.
Not really, but sort of. When you put an insert effect on in the Reason Rack ( ie. SSL Channel Strip 2 ) it will auto appear in the SSL 360 mixer, but that mixer only controls the plugin that you just inserted ( SSL Channel Strip 2 or Bus Compressor 2 ) . It does not control Reason's built in mixer.

Now, IF it did, or could..... that would be something.
Last edited by dannyF on 29 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dannyF
Posts: 313
Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Location: Uranus

Post 29 May 2021

Happy-Musician wrote:
29 May 2021
Perhaps I am overlooking something, but doesn't Reason already accurately model the SSL9000K mixing desk and glue compressor? I understand this being useful for other DAWS, but not sure what advantage there is within Reason.
Yes Reason already does model it and has the glue compressor. The only advantage I see is the hardware control tactility of it. How much this is actually an advantage or helpful remains to be seen.

I defiantley see your point.

Its something I've been questioning myself..... as much as it might help, it might also make things convoluted. Not convinced yet that switching back and forth between the screen gui and the hardware is THAT much of upgrade in terms of workflow....... It reminds me of the time I bought that NOB controller and I ended up selling it because as good as it was..... it just wasn't flowing....it was creating new extra steps that for me, became annoying.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3466
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 29 May 2021

Happy-Musician wrote:
29 May 2021
Perhaps I am overlooking something, but doesn't Reason already accurately model the SSL9000K mixing desk and glue compressor? I understand this being useful for other DAWS, but not sure what advantage there is within Reason.
my understanding is that Reason only accurately recreates the EQ curves and dynamics timings—it doesn't emulate any coloration the hardware does (saturation, noise, etc.). presumably the officially-licensed plugins do. I have the Brainworx SSL, and I know that does.

so Reason doesn't really "model" everything the SSL is doing to your audio, though it does model the most important parts. this may be exactly what you're after, but if you want that 'analog mojo', or just want to know you're using a faithful recreation of the actual hardware, you'll need to go with a licensed plugin.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1408
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 29 May 2021

Happy-Musician wrote:
29 May 2021

Does the external SSL 360 mixer work with Reason's in built mixer, or just the plugin? If so, are there any mapping issues? It looks great. Would make life easier.
I suppose there are no Remote maps/codecs for this hardware (yet?). But you can always write one for yourself. Have a look at the manual of the SSL controller to find out what kind of MIDI messages or HUI controls its using and then you can start mapping to the relevant controls in reason.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1673
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 29 May 2021

Happy-Musician wrote:
29 May 2021
Perhaps I am overlooking something, but doesn't Reason already accurately model the SSL9000K mixing desk and glue compressor? I understand this being useful for other DAWS, but not sure what advantage there is within Reason.
Lol, I didn't even think of Reason the DAW when I saw this. RRP all the way. Using the RRP in Logic and having a "Reasony" mixer setup within Logic (or any other DAW) is pretty sweet, especially if you're used to using Reason's SSL.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

Happy-Musician
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Feb 2020

Post 29 May 2021

dannyF wrote:
29 May 2021
Happy-Musician wrote:
29 May 2021
Perhaps I am overlooking something, but doesn't Reason already accurately model the SSL9000K mixing desk and glue compressor? I understand this being useful for other DAWS, but not sure what advantage there is within Reason.
Yes Reason already does model it and has the glue compressor. The only advantage I see is the hardware control tactility of it. How much this is actually an advantage or helpful remains to be seen.

I defiantley see your point.

Its something I've been questioning myself..... as much as it might help, it might also make things convoluted. Not convinced yet that switching back and forth between the screen gui and the hardware is THAT much of upgrade in terms of workflow....... It reminds me of the time I bought that NOB controller and I ended up selling it because as good as it was..... it just wasn't flowing....it was creating new extra steps that for me, became annoying.
Very interesting about how Reason isn’t fully accurate with the mixer. Have to say though, having the mixer there in the daw is so much nicer than the mess that Ableton has.
Definitely would buy the plug-in for ableton.
Regarding work flow, it looks cool and I imagine would be useful, then again I have faders on my midi keyboard and never use them haha, mainly because you never know what they control due to mapping. I would like to hear how useful that set up is after a few weeks usage.

User avatar
Kalm
Posts: 509
Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Location: Austin

Post 29 May 2021

I’ll be getting it at some point for use in S1. I don’t see a point in it with Reason since the 9K is a clean console. Nothing to emulate or model there. Reason gives you a 4K model and this is 9K.

But it’s really unnecessary with Reason.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 116
Joined: 21 May 2015
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post 30 May 2021

How nice is the UI.
SSL_Native_Complete_Bundle_1200_wide.d51d9a664993d0fd3a065ebcd87ba798.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Reason 11 Suite | Atari 1040ST

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1673
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 30 May 2021

I love the way the BUS compressor is managed on the 360. You can edit all your bus compressors without leaving the 360 screen. The seperate output meters are a sweet bonus.

After playing with the 360 a lot this weekend, I already know this is going to be the way I want to work from now on.
Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 12.15.39 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music | https://soundcloud.com/hurricaneaudiolab
Mac mini | Logic Pro | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/D2/TR-09 | microKorg I 03R/W | SL990 PRO

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], guitfnky and 0 guests