How can I get MIDI CC from my MIDI controller to NI Kontakt?

Discuss VST stuff here!
GingerLoaf

Post 27 Mar 2021

I am trying to get to a point where the four knobs on my MIDI controller will provide four sensible default functions to my selected rack devices.

I am now learning that Reason does not forward MIDI CC messages to VST plugins, such as NI Kontakt. I need to find a way to make this possible.
I can use Kontakt's host automation feature to draw in curves and modify parameters this way, but I lose the ability to key in live expressions and bring my orchestral arrangements to life.

I also am not interested in remote override because I want to be able to select different devices and have my MIDI controls switch to do things with the currently selected device. I am not interested in global bindings as I have limited controls and MIDI surfaces to work with.

Does anybody have good advice for a start to this journey of mine?

Carly(Poohbear)

Post 30 Mar 2021

The fact you only need 4 knobs and you need to control something like Kontakt I would look at a 2 stage approach.

Simple way, Always run Kontakt inside of a combinator,

Stage 1, Map your controller to the combinator Rotaries.
Stage 2, Program the Rotaries to that session of Kontakt.

Looking at the default "Other" keyboard with controls the following is mapped..
Map CC 71 Rotary 1
Map CC 72 Rotary 2
Map CC 73 Rotary 3
Map CC 74 Rotary 4

So map your knobs on your controller to CC 71 through to 74..

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/PoohBearsReasonChannel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

sonicbyte

Post 30 Mar 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
30 Mar 2021
The fact you only need 4 knobs and you need to control something like Kontakt I would look at a 2 stage approach.

Simple way, Always run Kontakt inside of a combinator,

Stage 1, Map your controller to the combinator Rotaries.
Stage 2, Program the Rotaries to that session of Kontakt.

Looking at the default "Other" keyboard with controls the following is mapped..
Map CC 71 Rotary 1
Map CC 72 Rotary 2
Map CC 73 Rotary 3
Map CC 74 Rotary 4

So map your knobs on your controller to CC 71 through to 74..

The PoohBear...

Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/PoohBearsReasonChannel
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
I will try that idea... the only way I was able to map controls to kontakt more or less consistently was to remove the surface from the remote mapped devices in Reason and then just assign them as a "free" cc controller... very odd

By the way, if you could do newer videos on how to approach controlling kontakt (I saw all the old ones that uses loop midi etc), just how to better use Kontakt inside reason with tips like that...

Thanks PoohBear

• Information