iZotope going subscription for upgrades.

Discuss VST stuff here!
Goriila Texas

09 Mar 2021

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mus ... e-pro.html
iZotope.png
iZotope.png (139.53 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 09 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

09 Mar 2021

Already read this yesterday and just thought, tg i don't need or want their stuff.
Reason12, Win10

Goriila Texas

09 Mar 2021

:lol: I use their software but what I have now is more than enough I won't be subscribing.
Loque wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2021
Already read this yesterday and just thought, tg i don't need or want their stuff.

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

Yet another company I won't be using or recommending again.

I have ozone 8 advanced and neutron 3 advanced, I didn't see any advantage to upgrade from ozone 8 to 9 other the dsp performance but as I generally run it standalone I wasn't that concerned with performance.

Does anyone know whether or not they will continue with normal licensing?

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

I upgraded to (purchased) the everything bundle last month. It was a crazy good deal that was cheaper than just upgrading my RX standard to advanced.

I've been watching the comments and it has be very familiar πŸ˜‚ People are silly. They don't understand what subscriptions are and the concept of "always being up to date". Am I expecting feature updates to my version of RX Advanced or any of the iZotope plugins I have? Certainly not. I understand that likely to get new features on top of what I have purchased, I'll need to upgrade to the next version. These people though act like something has been taken away from them.

I do think it would be cool if subscription members got features first. For instance, whatever will be in the next perpetual version, roll those features out in the subscription as they become available rather than just sitting on them for everyone. That's how I think a subscription would be even more enticing. Perpetual versions wouldn't change, they would still be compiled and made available when normally planned. I wish Reason could go with that approach, but people would complain.

MannequinRaces

09 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2021
I do think it would be cool if subscription members got features first. For instance, whatever will be in the next perpetual version, roll those features out in the subscription as they become available rather than just sitting on them for everyone. That's how I think a subscription would be even more enticing. Perpetual versions wouldn't change, they would still be compiled and made available when normally planned. I wish Reason could go with that approach, but people would complain.
I thought this is exactly the approach that RS will be doing?! Why keep new features until the next perpetual version? This is what subscriptions are all about as you know, more frequent updates.

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

MannequinRaces wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021
I thought this is exactly the approach that RS will be doing?! Why keep new features until the next perpetual version? This is what subscriptions are all about as you know, more frequent updates.
No, RS is releasing things together. They've simply said that by paying for the subscription, you don't have to worry about upgrading, when new devices and Reason updates are available, you will have them when you open Companion. And yes, people still complain... It would be cool if Reason+ received features as they become available and then those features are compiled into the next version of Reason when it's time... But Reason users aren't able yet to handle that concept lol. Perhaps they just need to take baby steps.

It's funny because we have had RE subscriptions since 2017. Now we have a subscription added for Reason itself along the RS REs and it's somehow this brand new and confusing concept to these users πŸ€”

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

None of it is confusing, but what about the other side of the discussion - I prefer to buy software as is within reason, bug fixes should be issued when identified and fixes created.

But I should still have the option to buy the software and not buy if there is no good reason to upgrade.

Take ozone 8 vs 9, I have the advanced version of 8 and it works exactly as I wanted that's why I brought it, 9 became available but other than dsp improvements and some "analogy" modules not much has changed to better the software so I'm happy to not buy 9 but.....

Under a subscription plan the choice is gone and so is the software, your left with nothing.

The same goes for Reason Subscription, if I decide I don't need to upgrade its all gone the moment I cancel the subscription because I don't need the latest version I've lost it all...

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2021
None of it is confusing, but what about the other side of the discussion - I prefer to buy software as is within reason, bug fixes should be issued when identified and fixes created.

But I should still have the option to buy the software and not buy if there is no good reason to upgrade.

Take ozone 8 vs 9, I have the advanced version of 8 and it works exactly as I wanted that's why I brought it, 9 became available but other than dsp improvements and some "analogy" modules not much has changed to better the software so I'm happy to not buy 9 but.....

Under a subscription plan the choice is gone and so is the software, your left with nothing.

The same goes for Reason Subscription, if I decide I don't need to upgrade its all gone the moment I cancel the subscription because I do need the latest version I've lost it all...
Sounds like a subscription simply is not for you. Those who subscribe know what a subscription is. They continually subscribe, or they cancel and resubscribe only when they need it. Some of them pay less over time and get more done using it here and there than those with perpetual licenses.

Lov2sing

09 Mar 2021

The best subscription is Plugin Alliance. If you continue for a year they reward you with a free plug-in of your choice up to $100.00. To me that is an incentive. Not like if I already own the items they have and get absolutely nothing in the subscription model. ( Reason Suite owners). At least there is a carrot on the end of the string.
We make music for a reason

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

Software subscription is definitely not for me, but I do subscribe to magazines which I get to keep

However I do think this comment is a bit underhand
09 Mar 2021
Some of them pay less over time and get more done using it here and there than those with perpetual licenses.
For a lot of people including myself it's not about doing more it's about enjoying my free time doing something I like, it has a positive affect on my mental health to be creative as I'm sure it does for many others.

Not everybody buys a DAW and the associated software to become a professional musician.

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
Software subscription is definitely not for me, but I do subscribe to magazines which I get to keep

However I do think this comment is a bit underhand
09 Mar 2021
Some of them pay less over time and get more done using it here and there than those with perpetual licenses.
For a lot of people including myself it's not about doing more it's about enjoying my free time doing something I like, it has a positive affect on my mental health to be creative as I'm sure it does for many others.

Not everybody buys a DAW and the associated software to become a professional musician.
Oh I didn't mean it like that. This has nothing to do with being a professional or not. Just in regards to the amount of usage and money spent. Subscriptions are not for everyone, but they work very well for some people. Having used music software for a very long time with perpetual licenses, it is harder for me to justify a subscription for myself.

However, I'm the same person who subscribes to Disney+ only the months I want to watch. I jump between subscription services. But I view TV/movie streaming differently. Some people want to own the shows and movies. Some of them buy episodes or full seasons. I own plenty of movies, but I'm ok to subscribe. Netlfix often adds movies I own, but it is what it is. People who are newer to music creation and sound design seem to be more ok with the subscription idea. It works for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

I'm glad you didn't mean it like that :thumbs_up:

And have also never understood people that buy movies on some form of media to watch over and over again :lol:

I also totally get that someone new to music production will almost definitely get a massive benefit from spending £€$100 for a boat load of software smashing out an album in a month or two then fire it off to some distributor and waiting for the rewards.

But there are far more people who are creative purely for the therapeutic benefits and it's these people that are going to be hit the hardest with software as a subscription and although you could argue that they will be paying less potentially for me that's not the point.

What about when a hardware / os update requirement removes them from subscription as their system is no longer supported - under perpetual licensing it's not such a problem they can continue to use what they've got, but unfortunately under subscription there's no choice if you cancel the software stop working.

MannequinRaces

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
MannequinRaces wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2021

No, RS is releasing things together. They've simply said that by paying for the subscription, you don't have to worry about upgrading, when new devices and Reason updates are available, you will have them when you open Companion. And yes, people still complain... It would be cool if Reason+ received features as they become available and then those features are compiled into the next version of Reason when it's time... But Reason users aren't able yet to handle that concept lol. Perhaps they just need to take baby steps.

It's funny because we have had RE subscriptions since 2017. Now we have a subscription added for Reason itself along the RS REs and it's somehow this brand new and confusing concept to these users πŸ€”
Makes sense. People get confused easily, lol.

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
I'm glad you didn't mean it like that :thumbs_up:

And have also never understood people that buy movies on some form of media to watch over and over again :lol:

I also totally get that someone new to music production will almost definitely get a massive benefit from spending £€$100 for a boat load of software smashing out an album in a month or two then fire it off to some distributor and waiting for the rewards.

But there are far more people who are creative purely for the therapeutic benefits and it's these people that are going to be hit the hardest with software as a subscription and although you could argue that they will be paying less potentially for me that's not the point.

What about when a hardware / os update requirement removes them from subscription as their system is no longer supported - under perpetual licensing it's not such a problem they can continue to use what they've got, but unfortunately under subscription there's no choice if you cancel the software stop working.
I guess you're still arguing on the thought of subscription only? Which doesn't apply to Reason or iZotope...

And it seems you're also arguing on behalf of those who subscribe... People can decide if they want a perpetual license or a subscription. I get if maybe you're interested in the subscription model and there's a few things if added would entice you more? But other than that, it is what it isβ€”It's a subscription option if you want to go that route.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Mar 2021

They're definitely not for professionals.

Maybe only for professionals who don't use Reason regularly but only in the odd project every few moons..

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2021

Maybe only for professionals who don't use Reason regularly but only in the odd project every few moons..
Well I wouldn't say that either. Many studios use Pro Tools, McDSP, Adobe, etc. subscriptions.

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

So long as subscription is an option among other licensing choices then the choice has to be good,
but when subscription becomes the only way to access software that can only be bad.

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021

Well I wouldn't say that either. Many studios use Pro Tools, McDSP, Adobe, etc. subscriptions.
I would tend to agree with joey on that, I think studios / professional projects will benefit far more from subscription than any average home consumer.

If you run a studio and someone wants to rent your studio for a month to complete an album, but they want Reason & izotope the studio can add the software for £€$40 and they get your custom.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021

Studios that like throwing money away, that is.

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021

Right. Because long gone are the days where people had to take out huge loans and go into massive debt to get started by buying everything up front and ending up with stuff they didn't really need. With subscriptions, it costs less to get started, and you can stop subscriptions for the things you realize you don't use or need and pick them back up if you do find you need them. It's just different approaches. You can factor in monthly cost and costs to upgrade as well. Some subscriptions do save you money. Might as well go into the arguments of renting an apartment and buying a home. Doesn't change the fact that renting works better for many people.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021

I would tend to agree with joey on that, I think studios / professional projects will benefit far more from subscription than any average home consumer.

If you run a studio and someone wants to rent your studio for a month to complete an album, but they want Reason & izotope the studio can add the software for £€$40 and they get your custom.
You are actually agreeing with me.

The one month sub for the software works great for a studio that doesn't use Reason. But not for a studio that uses it regularly because then you'd be wasting money. As a studio who uses Reason regularly, it is definitely not for me.

You think it is for professionals. I say it isn't for professionals who actually use Reason.

Billy+

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021

Studio charge customers, they would simply add the cost to your rental and cancel once completed. Such services allow them to reduce running costs when they are not using it.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021

Studio charge customers, they would simply add the cost to your rental and cancel once completed. Such services allow them to reduce running costs when they are not using it.
Again... That's studios that don't use Reason regularly.

joeyluck

09 Mar 2021

09 Mar 2021
09 Mar 2021

Again... That's studios that don't use Reason regularly.
Ok maybe this is where there is some confusion. This is a thread about iZotope's subscriptions...which the discussion went into subscriptions in general...but it sounds like you are voicing your opinion only about Reason's subscription?

I guess I would still disagree. People consume software differently now. And some are using it for the DAW and others for the RRP. It's too early to say based on what I know of who is using what in terms of Reason, but I do know for a fact that many professionals and pro studios use subscriptions in general.

• Information