For Those of Us Not Impressed with Algoritm, I'd Like To Remind You of FM8

Discuss VST stuff here!
joeyluck

01 Mar 2021

hurricane wrote:
01 Mar 2021
I mean, look at it - the only real "new" synth parts on Algoritm are the Operator section and the Matrix grid. Everything else came directly from Europa - the unison section, the mod matrix, the effects section, the LFO section!
At least when it comes to effects, I kind of appreciate this. So you know what to expect when you reach for the phaser, etc. and so that there is more cohesiveness with reverb between different devices out of the box.

I've never been very big on built-in effects, particularly when it comes to reverb. In the end, I'll need to bypass those and apply reverb separately so that I have more cohesiveness in the mix (and not 10 different reverbs being used, built into patches).

IMO many built-in effects serve as inspiration and suggestions.

ab459

01 Mar 2021

I always was impressed by FM8 by structure, but actually not enough likes his sound, exactly character of fm. Yes it has onboard nice sounding things like unison and good effects though, that somehow can change situation. But I'ts really sad that when comparing with freeware Dexed by using engine without additional things, Dexed sounding more interestingly\alive, can say more complex. Therefore, fm8 can't be solution for me in topic\fm'ish case. Zero Hybrid - yes, already more interestin by sound, but control - is pain lol.

Auryn

01 Mar 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Auryn wrote:
27 Feb 2021

Seconded. Algoritm is nice but Zero is king
What would you say are the advantages of Zero over Algoritm? I like Zero, but I find it very fiddly to program. Haven't tried Algo yet but it certainly looks much more flexible & intuitive
well, let's see off the top of my head...
- visual envelopes that you can drag into any shape/curve (not just adsr)
- many parameters have an independent envelope pre-assigned (every operator for example has it's own pitch envelope so you can create cool bending effects)
- filter 1 with built-in bitcrush, filter 2 with a very nice sounding saturation both selectable to have a variety (16) of slopes/shapes
- FM matrix allows al lot of the same routing freedom that Algoritm has
- Additive section that allows for a variety of waveforms and also includes a bunch of pre-programmed VS wavetables
- Independently selectable RM (ringmod) matrix that you can combine with the FM for some really gnarly and twisted sounds.
- Freely select sample rate on the back, 22050 to 192000
- Overal I just like the sound of Zero better, the sounds have a level of detail and a certain 'edge' to them that I didn't find as much in Algoritm (I found the presets to be a bit polite sounding)

(Shameless plug) here are some sounds from my refill for zero

~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

gbuck

01 Mar 2021

Auryn wrote:
01 Mar 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
01 Mar 2021

What would you say are the advantages of Zero over Algoritm? I like Zero, but I find it very fiddly to program. Haven't tried Algo yet but it certainly looks much more flexible & intuitive
well, let's see off the top of my head...
- visual envelopes that you can drag into any shape/curve (not just adsr)
- many parameters have an independent envelope pre-assigned (every operator for example has it's own pitch envelope so you can create cool bending effects)
- filter 1 with built-in bitcrush, filter 2 with a very nice sounding saturation both selectable to have a variety (16) of slopes/shapes
- FM matrix allows al lot of the same routing freedom that Algoritm has
- Additive section that allows for a variety of waveforms and also includes a bunch of pre-programmed VS wavetables
- Independently selectable RM (ringmod) matrix that you can combine with the FM for some really gnarly and twisted sounds.
- Freely select sample rate on the back, 22050 to 192000
- Overal I just like the sound of Zero better, the sounds have a level of detail and a certain 'edge' to them that I didn't find as much in Algoritm (I found the presets to be a bit polite sounding)

(Shameless plug) here are some sounds from my refill for zero

I like the Zero Point Energy Pads & Poly's sounds demo. You can hear clearly without other sounds and instruments cluttering it up.

selig
RE Developer

02 Mar 2021

I loved FM7 and fully expected to "click" with FM8 because it's "more/better". But I never did for some reason - have it all loaded up and ready to go in Reason but have yet to fire it up even once.
(wait a minute…)
OK, after a quick trip to reason and firing it up, I really should at least use a few of the excellent presets. But I'm quite unlikely to do any sound design on it, unlike Algoritm which draws me in and invites sound explorations!
Maybe it was because they ditched the dark look of FM7 and went with something very similar to brushed aluminum with FM8?!? ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2021

hurricane wrote:
28 Feb 2021

Sounding good so far :thumbs_up:

huggermugger

17 Jul 2021

If you like FM, but you're bored by typical FM, these two beasts are worth looking into. FlowMotion has an extremely intuitive UI and the Snapshot Sequencer is something else. Aparillo takes FM to a whole new level - unbelievably complex sounds, and huuuge.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.51.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.51.37 PM.png (841.69 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.51.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.51.34 PM.png (684.59 KiB) Viewed 534 times

• Information