Any Overbridge users?

Discuss VST stuff here!
tallguy

01 Feb 2021

Anybody use Elektron Overbridge in Reason with a Rhythm MKII?

I'm curious about the integration of the Analog Rytm MKII in Reason. More specifically about bringing audio into Reason over USB.

stillifegaijin

01 Feb 2021

I have used it in a couple session with artists who use the Digitakt. It works for sure.The best method for me seemed to be to use an aggregate I/O device setup that gave me access to my regular interface as well at the USB inputs from the Digitakt.

I'm not an expert though.

tallguy

01 Feb 2021

Ok, I’m thinking of getting a Rytm. But I don’t have enough inputs on my audio interface for another device.
1. Am I right in saying that I can import audio directly in Reason using Overbridge? Bypassing my normal audio interface altogether?
2. If so, what about latency?

stillifegaijin

02 Feb 2021

Yes, you can use Overbridge to send audio via USB directly into Reason without your regular audio device. Latency should not be anymore of an issue than with a regular interface. I was recording live sessions with audio coming in via USB from a Digitakt along with simultaneous audio from hardware synths through my pre-amps and 002 Rack interface, as well as a vocalist. It worked fine.

I use a 002 Rack as my main studio interface so to be able to use the 002 and Overbridge together I went into the Audio/Midi setup and created an Aggregate Device that included the inputs from both the 002 and Overbridge and the outputs of the 002 to get audio out to my monitors and headphone setup. - This is all on Mac. I have no idea if this same setup works with a PC.

If you just wanted to use the Rytm without your regular interface at all you could setup an Aggregate Device that included the inputs of Overbridge with your standard headphone out from you computer as well. I do this to use a USB mic to record talking for a radio show while listening on headphones from the laptop headphone out.

I hope that helps???

stillifegaijin

02 Feb 2021

I should mention that there is another way that "supposedly" works, that I think Elektron even recommends, where you put an Electron Instrument Device, which will show up as a VST in Reason, on one track and then Overbridge feeds the audio to that instrument device from the hardware device via USB and you can route audio out of the outputs on the back of the device into new audio tracks.

I say "supposedly" because I could never get that way to work. I could never get the VST instrument to revive audio. I don't know why but the client I was working with did not route it that way on his system either and suggested the Aggregate Device setup which worked perfectly.

So...it works even though it took some troubleshooting to figure out how to get it to work. But once we got it setup it was stable over multiple sessions.

tallguy

02 Feb 2021

Aaah, now I get you. I thought aggregate devices were a Reason thing, but it’s a MacOS thing. I never looked into that. Thanks, I’ll see if I can figure out how to set that up.

tallguy

02 Feb 2021

YES

I managed to set up an aggregate device and get my USB microphone to work in Reason. I tried once before but somehow it wouldn't show up in Reason.

So yeah, if the taxman gives me a rebate and I get myself an Analog Rytm MKII, I know how to set it up. Thanks

PhillipOrdonez

02 Feb 2021

I don't need to do anything to use overbridge with the digitakt. Just load the vst and it is sorted.

However, I personally only record unsung the overbridge standalone, then import the studio into the daw.

When it comes to recording in Reason and latency, there will be a latency, and you need to manually cut into the kick drum channel on the first transient (easy with Reason, right click and split at slice) then move all the tracks back to the 1. Easy enough yet I prefer working with the standalone app. You don't need to manually route every channel of the elektron device to us own mix channel, plus the latency us noticeable during playback depending on your buffer settings...

djst

10 Nov 2022

Does anyone know how to control the Elektron device from the VST? When I pop out the Syntakt device in the VST rack, there is a button called "Automate", but it doesn't seem to do anything. It just shows a label saying "Click a parameter", but when you click a parameter within the VST, nothing happens. How is this supposed to work so you can record your filter sweeps and program them in Reason?

PhillipOrdonez

12 Nov 2022

djst wrote:
10 Nov 2022
Does anyone know how to control the Elektron device from the VST? When I pop out the Syntakt device in the VST rack, there is a button called "Automate", but it doesn't seem to do anything. It just shows a label saying "Click a parameter", but when you click a parameter within the VST, nothing happens. How is this supposed to work so you can record your filter sweeps and program them in Reason?
You need to wiggle the parameter. Only clicking on it doesn't do the trick with OB. 😜

djst

15 Nov 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Nov 2022

You need to wiggle the parameter. Only clicking on it doesn't do the trick with OB. 😜
I've tried that too but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Also, my Keystep 37, which is plugged into my sound card (Steinberg UR22) only seems to be able to control track 1 of the Syntakt no matter which midi channel I set it to send to. If I switch to channel 2, or 3, it just keeps hitting the kick on track 1. The midi channels are set up according to the Syntakt default settings (track 1 = midi ch 1, and so on).

Lastly, when I set the buffer to 2048 samples or more, no sound is generated, and it feels sluggish at 1024 but that's the max setting that still generates sound. I don't have the same issue when recording analog audio via the UR22 inputs, just when recording via Overbridge.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

PhillipOrdonez

15 Nov 2022

I meant wiggle it with the mouse. Not on the hardware. I tried it just to confirm it works. Latest version of ob and reason.

There's others way more knowledgeable on this subject here that can help you with the midi stuff. I don't really use ob other than to record, and I do it using the standalone ob app. 🤷‍♂️

PhillipOrdonez

14 Mar 2023

They're rewriting overbridge for Windows and are looking for beta testers on various daws. Anyone here in windows and reason using ob and looking to try help and also get early access to ob features, you can join by posting on this thread your OS version and daw of choice. There's a few reason users over there already! https://www.elektronauts.com/t/windows- ... ted/190515

splitpen

17 Mar 2023

Got the analog heat MK2 with overbridge. Mostly it works but when you put another plugin inside the rack and disconnect the other one sometimes a restart of the device is needed which sometimes works directly... And sometimes it doesn't which could causes some frustrations haha. Tried a lot of switching between the usb ports and for me placing it as a single input on a USB port section works best. And don't switch around with new instances keeps it going. When only use the analog ins and outs all working well, but you introduce some delay in the signalchain. The sound is great though love it on instruments and even a touch on the master. You can get pretty crazy with the unit. The overbridge also have some mid and side options which is great and bring up a new palet of flavors.

Also keep in mind the plugin runs best at 48khz.
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

• Information