Aly James Got Pirated Again So He's Demanding You Pay For Minor Plugin Updates

Discuss VST stuff here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2021

He's done this twice already:

From his update email:

I Need YOU again

Well Piracy happened again, after VProm I recently got aware that VSDSX got the same fate. This is still a BIG deal for a one-man business as every sales count. For years I have been offering super low access prices, I never really followed economics, taxes increase etc... while I understand piracy and the free for all concept, economic reality is what it is and I always need to adjust quickly if things got tight.
I decided to request support for the 2.0.2 update which will be the first and last paid update for VSDSX before v3.0.
While new things are in the R&D stage, past work is what feeds the actual work and like I said before I am now throwing piracy into the equation. I hope this won't force me in the end to turn on permanent paid updates...time will tell.
I am releasing publicly the last VSDSX 2.0.2 update for a support fee starting at 5 Euros, those who can afford to support more than the minimum are very welcome to do so.

As you probably know, Aly James Lab is only me, there is litteraly nothing between me and the end user.:

So just because he got pirated he now demands that you pay him in order to get access to a minor update. He's getting blasted on KVR and of course, trying to justify it.

Anyway, I like his plugins but, that's it - not buying from this guy anymore.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

fieldframe
RE Developer

29 Jan 2021

Another fine example of how important messaging is.

Had he simply prefaced the paid update with something more professional, such as "2.0.2 introduces major improvements in xyz, and as such is a paid update," people could debate whether the improvements were worth the price, but it wouldn't come across as a weird passive-aggressive victimhood thing.

miscend

29 Jan 2021

It's not your fault his plugins got pirated. And these are pretty old plugins so he can't be so sure these are lost sales. He may want to look at changing his business plan because plenty of other developers get pirated. I know its unpopular but one option although very unpopular is to use iLok.

raymondh

29 Jan 2021

fieldframe wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Another fine example of how important messaging is.

Had he simply prefaced the paid update with something more professional, such as "2.0.2 introduces major improvements in xyz, and as such is a paid update," people could debate whether the improvements were worth the price, but it wouldn't come across as a weird passive-aggressive victimhood thing.
Yep you nailed it. Exactly right.

Every business has it's ups and downs. Every single one. Playing the victim card is a turn-off and will pretty much guarantee piracy isn't the only reason money isn't flowing in for him.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2021

Well he’s just lost a sale from me on Samplight and it’s not even out yet. Not good.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

30 Jan 2021

If you see him let him know that I've never heard of him or his plugins. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RoryM0

30 Jan 2021

I don't really understand the problem here. Aly is just one dude making great software completely independently. Those on KVR spitting their cereal out over 5 Euros have lost the plot. Support independent creators or we'll all wind up with our LinnDrum and Simmons VSTs being made by Amazon. It's 5 Euros. I paid him 20 Euros for this update and didn't think twice about it. I will pay whatever he's asking for SampLight too (feels like it's been in development a REALLY long time) and I bet it will be amazing.

miscend

30 Jan 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
30 Jan 2021
I don't really understand the problem here. Aly is just one dude making great software completely independently. Those on KVR spitting their cereal out over 5 Euros have lost the plot. Support independent creators or we'll all wind up with our LinnDrum and Simmons VSTs being made by Amazon. It's 5 Euros. I paid him 20 Euros for this update and didn't think twice about it. I will pay whatever he's asking for SampLight too (feels like it's been in development a REALLY long time) and I bet it will be amazing.
His pricing decisions seem pretty arbitrary. You either charge for bugfixes or you dont. He reminds me of the Wusik developer asking his customers for money whenever he hits financial difficulties.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
30 Jan 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
30 Jan 2021
His pricing decisions seem pretty arbitrary. You either charge for bugfixes or you dont. He reminds me of the Wusik developer asking his customers for money whenever he hits financial difficulties.
Wusik guy also has 98% discount sales and gives stuff away fro free in a regular basis.
I personally think that charging for bug fixes is bad form. New features, absolutely, but rectifying mistakes in a faulty product nah.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

30 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Wusik guy also has 98% discount sales and gives stuff away fro free in a regular basis.
Wusik has a history of being erratic. Its a long saga with several twists and turns going back years.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=720

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2021

Well well...the people spoke, and there's been a change. 👍

Aly James on Kvr: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p8017365

Well, after a bit of sleep out of a 72h straight rush with the releases and all I got time to think about what some have said.
Indeed I have big ego, any artist who doesn't...?
When I am tired I tend to be moody too.
While I clearly said this is a one time 5 bucks request some might think it will be common practice...
if you really don't care or feel bad about what I am asking fine, drop me an Email and you will get the update for free, I am not blocking anyone to get updates and fixes, that would be nonsense.
I initially thought that it would be a no brainer but for a vocal minority it wasn't the case.
So indeed I was wrong to expect 100% support, that's kinda sad but it's reality for you.
Still these people supported me before actually buying a product in the first place and I would not feel good ignoring their point of view even if I disagree partially.

So It's now optional.
Drop me an Email so you all enjoy the update and I can enjoy the weekend...
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2021

So I sent him a request for the download link. He simply emailed me a link to the page where he requests payment for the update. I responded with "no, you said on KVR you'd send us the download link". Waiting to hear back. Ay chihuaha, man.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2021

Alright, so he responded with this:

"I said, and you should have read it from the link:

if you really don't care or feel bad about what I am asking fine, drop me an Email and you will get the update for free, I am not blocking anyone to get updates and fixes.

But it's normal that I send you the update page so you know what it is... no?

If you want it for free I need to make some verification so you should have sent me your serial ;)
I verified from your name and Email already so it's coming!

Best AJ"

To which I responded:

"Yeah, well I figured since you're so concerned with piracy that you would check my purchase info yourself and not just go blindly by what I sent you. That's why I let you determine if I was a legit user or not. Now you see I am. : )

Thanks."

Anyway, I got the links.

WTF is wrong with you, Aly James?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

raymondh

30 Jan 2021

Only thing I would say in his (and anyone's) defence is that there is a lot of stress and anxiety in the world at the moment and a lot of people are on edge, being very reactive and behaving out of character.

I hope everything works out well for him, he doesn't end up distancing his customers, and he continues building great products.

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2021

Aly explained himself further in an email (which I will keep private), and from what he said, I'm willing to give the guy a second chance. His explanation was satisfactory, and he understands how this whole thing came off and said he would do better in the future. I still have one eyebrow raised though, but all is cool. Now, if he would just go on KVR and post what he wrote to me it would make him look a lot better and I think will help reverse some damage.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

miscend

31 Jan 2021

You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle if you just paid the 5 euro.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
31 Jan 2021
You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle if you just paid the 5 euro.
Hurricane is a man with principles. I’d have done exactly the same.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information