Mixed In Key Studio Edition alternative to find the key

Discuss VST stuff here!
TrueStory

27 Jan 2021

Anyone know of an alternative VST to find out what key you're in? I tried MiK but couldn't get it to work with Reason 11.
Last edited by TrueStory on 27 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

There really isn't any decent alternative, and it should work.

How / What are you using it on?

TrueStory

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
There really isn't any decent alternative, and it should work.

How / What are you using it on?
Reason 11 Suite on Windows.

MiK support team told me I need to have Reason scan the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTplugins folder but nothing shows up when I click on the Effects menu to insert MiK on a mix/audio channel.

When I ran a search for MiK VST files all I could find was MixedinKey.Analysis5.Contracts.dll files. No .vst files of any kind.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

I'm on mac so can't help other than to say I've seen it working.

Check the vst manager thing inside Reason.
Try installing it again from the latest download.

TrueStory

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I've finally got this to work! The culprit was installing both the 32 bit and 64 versions. I just installed the 64 bit version and found it the Utility menu.

Italophile

28 Jan 2021

TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
MiK support team told me I need to have Reason scan the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTplugins folder but nothing shows up when I click on the Effects menu to insert MiK on a mix/audio channel.
Although that is the default path used by some developers it is not necessary to store VST's there. So long as they are stored in the same folder it can be anywhere on your PC.
TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
When I ran a search for MiK VST files all I could find was MixedinKey.Analysis5.Contracts.dll files. No .vst files of any kind.
Although VST3 plugins have a .vst3 extension VST2 plugins are dll's.
TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I've finally got this to work! The culprit was installing both the 32 bit and 64 versions. I just installed the 64 bit version and found it the Utility menu.
Reason can't see the 32-bit plugins so installing both has no effect on what is available in Reason. Sounds as though you were simply looking in the wrong menu.

Billy+

28 Jan 2021

TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021

That's excellent news, maybe up date your first post with the solution and add [solved] to the title, it will help others :thumbs_up:

ProfessaKaos

28 Jan 2021

TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Anyone know of an alternative VST to find out what key you're in? I tried MiK but couldn't get it to work with Reason 11.
Melodyne. I have mixed in key and about 50% of the time it is accurate. Melodyne is far more accurate.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

TrueStory

29 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Jan 2021
TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021

That's excellent news, maybe up date your first post with the solution and add [solved] to the title, it will help others :thumbs_up:
Good idea but unfortunately it seems it too late for me to edit my first post but I'm sure others will realized it's been solved when they scroll through this thread.
Last edited by TrueStory on 29 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

TrueStory

29 Jan 2021

ProfessaKaos wrote:
28 Jan 2021
TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Melodyne. I have mixed in key and about 50% of the time it is accurate. Melodyne is far more accurate.
Yeah I love Melodyne. I miss Melodyne 4 since that at least had VST 2 support allowing you to open it in Reason. Melodyne is awesome but it's seems way more useful if you already know the key before importing any audio.

TrueStory

29 Jan 2021

Italophile wrote:
28 Jan 2021
TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Although that is the default path used by some developers it is not necessary to store VST's there. So long as they are stored in the same folder it can be anywhere on your PC.
TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Although VST3 plugins have a .vst3 extension VST2 plugins are dll's.
TrueStory wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Reason can't see the 32-bit plugins so installing both has no effect on what is available in Reason. Sounds as though you were simply looking in the wrong menu.
No it wasn't in any menu at all. Effects or Utility until I installed only the 64 bit version. I didn't know Reason can only see 64 bit plugins so that's useful info going forward.

• Information