Roland releasing a new Juno 60 Plug-Out soon

Discuss VST stuff here!
EnochLight

22 Jan 2021

If you're a fan of Roland's ACB emulations or use Roland Cloud, you might be interested to hear that they're releasing a Juno 60 soon. If you've got a System 8, this will be great with it Plugged Out:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

raymondh

24 Jan 2021

Yeah it will be interesting!

I've never really studied the differences between the Juno 60 and 106, but many folks think the 60 is warmer and more characterful, and the 106 has deeper bass.

Lizard

25 Jan 2021

I really like the Roland plugins on their cloud service. The first few were CPU heavy but got a little better as they went on. I have been waiting on deciding if it will be worth keeping it going however as the past two products have been VST3 only and that is bothersome. I dabble with other DAWs but I seem to always fall to Reason to get anything done. So if Roland's trend will be VST3 then I'll have to give them up. Sad. Some good stuff in there.

EnochLight

25 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I'm still waiting for a JP8000.
I hear you. I really just wanted the JX-8P at this point. I already have the 106 (both on my System-8 and as a Lifetime Key), so really see no need for the 60 as in a mix it's impossible to tell the two apart IMHO. I'd even rather have the Jupiter-4 over the Juno-60.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

25 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I hear you. I really just wanted the JX-8P at this point. I already have the 106 (both on my System-8 and as a Lifetime Key), so really see no need for the 60 as in a mix it's impossible to tell the two apart IMHO. I'd even rather have the Jupiter-4 over the Juno-60.
I find it funny because JP8000 is a digital synth and there are no solid emulations out there. U-he maybe gets closest to the supersaw, but they aren't emulating the JP-8000 and its presets, and then the very few plugins that seek to emulate the synth, don't get the sound right... I feel like the demand is there. Meanwhile Roland continues to release emulations of analog synths in which many good emulations already exist. Not saying they shouldn't, but why not one that hasn't been emulated well and is digital, which would seem to be easier for them to create?

EnochLight

25 Jan 2021

They've pretty much shifted focus to the ZenCore stuff, which I find confusing. Are there JP8000 presets in the Zen library? There's a metric crap ton of Juno and Jupiter stuff in Zen.

Lizard

25 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
25 Jan 2021
I find it funny because JP8000 is a digital synth and there are no solid emulations out there. U-he maybe gets closest to the supersaw, but they aren't emulating the JP-8000 and its presets, and then the very few plugins that seek to emulate the synth, don't get the sound right... I feel like the demand is there. Meanwhile Roland continues to release emulations of analog synths in which many good emulations already exist. Not saying they shouldn't, but why not one that hasn't been emulated well and is digital, which would seem to be easier for them to create?
JP6K is about the closest you will get in spirit, look and sound. I don't have it so I can't speak with conviction but the demos sound nice. The manual is freely available on the site and have looked through it and seem to have a structure very much like the JP8000. I have yet to see a direct emulation elsewhere and there could be reason for that. Downside is Windows only. Upside is that it's pretty inexpensive at around 25 Euro. I too would love for Roland to do that but really long for the V-Synth technology. Perhaps eventually we will get there if they are to continue to be relevant by adding new product.

splitpen

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
25 Jan 2021
Hi Enochlight,

Have you tried the Martin Lüders PG8X?
https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/
Don't know how it compares to the original but in my ears it's definitely a good sounding synth that captures the 80's vibe instantly.
You can import the sysex soundbanks from JP-8P directly into it.
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

splitpen wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Don't know how it compares to the original but in my ears it's definitely a good sounding synth that captures the 80's vibe instantly.
Thanks! Yeah it's not bad - I've had it for years, but without it being an actual Roland Cloud Plug-Out, it can't be transferred to a System-8 (which is the ultimate goal). Hopefully Roland comes around.

raymondh

28 Jan 2021

splitpen wrote:
27 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
25 Jan 2021

Hi Enochlight,

I have a real JX-8P and can confirm that PG-8X sounds extremely close! I'm not all that happy about it really, because it makes my vintage hardware synth not quite as special :D

EnochLight

28 Jan 2021

raymondh wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I have a real JX-8P and can confirm that PG-8X sounds extremely close! I'm not all that happy about it really, because it makes my vintage hardware synth not quite as special :D
Hahah - yeah, I've got mixed feelings on that too. I also have a vintage JX-8P (with the PG-800 programmer as well as a memory cartridge). My aftertouch is shot though, and the L/M/H switch on the back is totally janky - often makes my audio cut out. Some of the buttons are starting to get finicky as well. I'm reluctant to take it to a shop for repair because the thing is really priceless to me.

IMG_1173(3).jpg
IMG_1173(3).jpg (662.28 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

raymondh

29 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2021
raymondh wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Hahah - yeah, I've got mixed feelings on that too. I also have a vintage JX-8P (with the PG-800 programmer as well as a memory cartridge). My aftertouch is shot though, and the L/M/H switch on the back is totally janky - often makes my audio cut out. Some of the buttons are starting to get finicky as well. I'm reluctant to take it to a shop for repair because the thing is really priceless to me.

IMG_1173(3).jpg
Nice photo!

I have the PG-800 too. It's a must have eh!
My aftertouch is shot too but otherwise it all works well...
...That is except for the display which has been intermittently working and screwed up for months. A couple of weeks ago the display completely stopped working so I took it to a guy who will fix it. Apparently it is a DC-DC transformer that steps up the voltage to drive the FIP display. He's ordered a new transformer but with the reduced flights, international freight takes ages to get to New Zealand at the moment. So I'll use PG-8X while I wait :)

EnochLight

29 Jan 2021

raymondh wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Nice photo!

...That is except for the display which has been intermittently working and screwed up for months. A couple of weeks ago the display completely stopped working so I took it to a guy who will fix it. Apparently it is a DC-DC transformer that steps up the voltage to drive the FIP display. He's ordered a new transformer but with the reduced flights, international freight takes ages to get to New Zealand at the moment. So I'll use PG-8X while I wait :)
Thanks! Yeah thankfully my display is working great (so far). I understand replacing the tactile button contacts underneath isn't terribly difficult, but there is some soldering involved (obviously) - there's at least 2 that I really have to push hard to get them to engage, and third is on its way to being the same. Have you considered getting the aftertouch strip replaced? I also need to replace the battery, as it's original as well.

This guy replaced the switches with suitable replacements (the originals by ALPS are long gone now):

Here he repaired the aftertouch:

raymondh

29 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
raymondh wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Nice photo!

Thanks! Yeah thankfully my display is working great (so far). I understand replacing the tactile button contacts underneath isn't terribly difficult, but there is some soldering involved (obviously) - there's at least 2 that I really have to push hard to get them to engage, and third is on its way to being the same. Have you considered getting the aftertouch strip replaced? I also need to replace the battery, as it's original as well.

This guy replaced the switches with suitable replacements (the originals by ALPS are long gone now):

Here he repaired the aftertouch:

I have to push the membrane buttons hard too. I've asked the guy to do a general service, clean, change battery if required etc too. I'll report back once it's done. I haven't worried about the aftertouch strip because when I'm composing I use my master keyboard anyway rather than the 8P k/board.

EnochLight

29 Jan 2021

raymondh wrote:
29 Jan 2021
I haven't worried about the aftertouch strip because when I'm composing I use my master keyboard anyway rather than the 8P k/board.
Yeah, same - that's exactly what I do, and the aftertouch on my Panorama P4 works just fine. I'll probably leave it alone - watching that video, it's a bit out of my comfort zone.

raymondh

29 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
raymondh wrote:
29 Jan 2021
I haven't worried about the aftertouch strip because when I'm composing I use my master keyboard anyway rather than the 8P k/board.
Yeah, same - that's exactly what I do, and the aftertouch on my Panorama P4 works just fine. I'll probably leave it alone - watching that video, it's a bit out of my comfort zone.
Haha I had the same exact thought. At one point I was keen to open it up and give it a clean, but had visions of putting it all back together with springs firing off all over the place haha

• Information